It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Teal on sale at Cabelas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:25 am 
Crown Grade

In the ad good ol' Cabelas sent out yesterday, an "exclusive" model (like Jon's used to do) of CZ O/U, which looks like a Canvasback, but with ejectors, is on sale for $649.99 in both 12 and 20 ga. If it's as durable as the Canvasback, that's a decent deal. Too bad the barrels are misaligned :wink: , or I'd be tempted.

Post subject: Re: CZ Teal on sale at Cabelas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yornoc3 wrote:
In the ad good ol' Cabelas sent out yesterday, an "exclusive" model (like Jon's used to do) of CZ O/U, which looks like a Canvasback, but with ejectors, is on sale for $649.99 in both 12 and 20 ga. If it's as durable as the Canvasback, that's a decent deal. Too bad the barrels are misaligned :wink: , or I'd be tempted.

Give it a quarter turn, problem solved :!: :!: :!: ImageImage

cdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've looked at these Teal twice now, went to Cabelas both times with the intent to buy one, left empty handed both times. I'm going back today to try to talk myself into it again if I can. Here's what I saw and had issues with:

First time, they had the Father's day sale from $850 to $650 or so. 12ga and 20ga Teal. First, on the Cabelas website there are numerous "answers" which state that the Teal is the same as the Redhead Premier except with blued steel receiver instead of silver. Also guys report they were told this from phone calls to CZ, who said it was a blued steel receiver Redhead Premier made special for Cabelas. HOWEVER, Cabelas has the Redhead Premier Target shotgun now for like $1200, that's a hefty difference if it's just receiver colors...

On the 12ga on display, the ejectors didn't work 80% of the time. After trigger pulls, and upon opening the gun, they only rarely popped, and often they kind of jammed up the opening of the gun. Additionally, the breech lock release lever was extremely difficult to release, you actually had to shove the two halves of the gun closed as hard as you could before the breechlock release lever would go right and allow the breech to open. It was not functional with normal forces or hand movements, and made me think you'd be wagging the barrel end all over trying to apply force to it with your knee or something to allow opening--NOT a safe procedure. I couldn't get the salesman to go to the back and bring me another 12ga model to look at, so they lost that sale.

On the 20ga, the ejectors and the breech lock lever functioned 100% of the time-- I was happy with it. I liked the fit/finish of the gun also. However, the trigger pulls were pretty sloppy (the 12 had been better), with some uptake.

And the real issue I had with the guns was the barrel selector embedded in the tang safety--it was not usable with gloves, and very difficult to switch even with bare hands. The selector was actually just a wee slice of metal in the center of the tang safety that was only the same height as the safety button, and went from side to side. It was not taller than the safety or sitting proud or anything, so a thumb brushed across it couldn't get any purchase because it was even with the safety metal. That combined with how stiff it was made it almost like a "dip switch" where you had to get it with a fingernail to move it! Most O/U with that "H gate" switch setup allow the entire safety button to move side to side for barrel selection, and fore/aft for the safety, which makes it easy to change barrels. I did not believe I could actually switch the barrels with gloves on in the field quickly when needed. That switch needs to be beefed up and sit proud of the safety so you can get some purchase on it.

For me, I'm purchasing an O/U 20ga for duck hunting solely to allow me to have 2 easily selectable shell/choke combinations immediately available for different duck presentations. I've got several semi-auto 12 and 20 guns that are great duck guns; if the O/U doesn't give me that quick barrel choice then all it gives me are detriments (loss of 1 shell, increased kick vs. gas semi). I need an O/U that has good solid function, but is NOT so fancy or expensive that I don't want to take it into the marsh-- I was hoping the Teal would fit the bill.

Today I'm going back to look and see if I could somehow extend that barrel selector, glue something on it to raise it up maybe, so it could be actually functional with gloves.

As a side note, I also looked at the "Pointer" guns from Legacy which are flooding the markets these last few months. Guns seemed to fit what I'm looking for, except the triggers were much heavier than the weight of the guns, I'd guess 8-11 lbs-- too much for me, as well as they felt sloppy. And the ones I looked at were so stiff to open that it took both hands prying it apart over your knee-- it was beyond the point where you'd say, "that'll break in after a bit".

If Browning would make their 20ga Cynergy in camo like they do their 12 ga, I'd buy it instantly!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

BLACK FRIDAY SALES IS OVER AT $559 . CABELA NOW SAYS $859. WELL THAT WHAT THE RED HEAD PREMIUM SOLD FOR WITH CHRONE SILVER RECEIVER AND PRINCE OF WALES GRIP. So who would pay $300 more for less gun. Most black editions are less expensive look ae 692/690 B guns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought mine at the $649 price and I am very pleased with it. I have about 250 rounds through it so far and it has worked great. Fits me well and locks up nice and tight.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 pm 
Field Grade

I just noticed that Cabela's has the Teal on sale for $550 again, probably for Father's Day:

www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firear ... 289337.uts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:09 pm 
Utility Grade

How are these for lefties?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

I don't think the gun cares that your a lefty, with the tang mounted safety. I think these guns for $550 is a great deal, I have one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

papershell wrote:
I don't think the gun cares that your a lefty, with the tang mounted safety. I think these guns for $550 is a great deal, I have one.

Wanna know how I know you don't shoot lefty?

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

jer901 wrote:
papershell wrote:

Wanna know how I know you don't shoot lefty?
:) :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 pm 
Utility Grade

papershell wrote:

Well, the question actually is whether it has cast on/off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

semka wrote:
papershell wrote:

Well, the question actually is whether it has cast on/off.

I've not handled a Teal, but with the exception of the CZ Southpaw Sterling, every off the rack CZ shotgun I've ever seen had some degree of cast off. That's pretty standard for any European made SxS or O/U.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 am 
Utility Grade

I learned something new, thanks. I'll start looking at stocks for cast now

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 am 
Utility Grade

Picked up a CZ Teal late last week. Overall fit and finish looks good. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get some free time. Seems like a good deal for $550.