CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WesterField 22.cal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:33 am 
Utility Grade

I have a 22.cal rifle and I am curious about it's DOM and Value...

It is a WesternField 22.cal repeater with a bolt that can be locked open to the rear. The rifle was in good shape when I got it and is in excellent condition now, I had a knowledgeable friend of mine refinish it and he didn't recognise it but said it maybe an old Sears Brand? The stock is refinished to it's original grain and there are no pits or rust on the barrel or the bolt. The stamp forward of the rear sight on the top of the barrel reads...

Westernfield SB 808N
22L.LR - 22H.S. SHORTS

On the rear of the barrel where it is affixed to the front of the receiver on the top are three different stamps, the one closest to the receiver looks like a chocolate kiss or a tee-pee, and the middle and last are as follows...

(330)
(11V)

Help us out please.

Post subject: Re: WesterField 22.cal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

Western Field was the Montgomery Ward's store brand (I'm pretty sure... I don't have the Blue Book handy). Most of them were made by Savage/Stevens or Marlin, maybe a few by Mossberg. They have no real collector value for the most part; they're just shooters. And if you've refinished it, it has zero collector value.

Date of manufacture... Go to the back of the Blue Book to cross-reference it to the manufacturer's model, and check the dates over which that model was made. You can't nail it down precisely, since those guns generally weren't serial numbered.

The "funny" marks on the barrel where it meets the reciever are proof marks - kind of like the tag in a package of underwear that says "inspected by no. 14". With a good reference book, the proof marks will also tell you the manufacturer, and sometimes the approximate date.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:37 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks alot,.. this is my first old gun... zero value hu?! Ok, remind me to not make the next one look pretty,.. just clean it. LOL!!!

Thank again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:21 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

No value as a collectable, but it should still be ok as a shooter. And if I am not mistaken, a pretty good one unless it has been "used up". Sort of like an old car - if you want to use it, it just needs to run, but if it looks good too, it's worth more. OK, maybe that's not the best example because restored cars are usually worth more than rusty hulks, but for both antique cars and guns, having an original in new condition instead of restored-to-new can send the prices to the stratosphere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

Not zero value... just zero COLLECTOR value. Unless it's the only one left in existence, no collector wants a refinished gun of any kind.

Could be worse... I know a guy who did a cold-blue job on his granddad's rifle, 'cause it was pretty well-worn. He turned a $2500 Winchester '73 into a $500 Winchester '73.

Your closing comment and your user id makes me think you might have been an 11B... I was a LRRP in Vietnam; Co. E, 2/28, 1st Div

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:25 pm 
wwb wrote:
Western Field was the Montgomery Ward's store brand (I'm pretty sure... I don't have the Blue Book handy). Most of them were made by Savage/Stevens or Marlin, maybe a few by Mossberg. They have no real collector value for the most part; they're just shooters. And if you've refinished it, it has zero collector value.

Date of manufacture... Go to the back of the Blue Book to cross-reference it to the manufacturer's model, and check the dates over which that model was made. You can't nail it down precisely, since those guns generally weren't serial numbered.

The "funny" marks on the barrel where it meets the reciever are proof marks - kind of like the tag in a package of underwear that says "inspected by no. 14". With a good reference book, the proof marks will also tell you the manufacturer, and sometimes the approximate date.