It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Squirrel - It's What's For Dinner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I tried....I really....truly....tried. But my mind kept telling me, " You`re eating a bushy tailed tree rat. " That was it ! That was back in 1974. Never since. And it`s the ONLY thing that`s made me squeamish. Not snails, not alligator, not oysters ( raw ), not snake, not nothing. Just squirrel. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Darryle wrote:

<Like> button...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I might point out that squirrels eat mainly tree nuts, arguably a healthy diet. Chickens, on the other hand will eat the nastiest fare imaginable including maggots out of a rotting animal carcass. And people prefer chicken?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am 
Utility Grade

The trick is getting them as far away from looking like a squirrel as possible, so chop them up or strip the meat off the bone after you boiled or steamed them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBy6Zv7wv3w&t=94s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p50k2yuxP8&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4yaWIzjbT8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 am 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
I might point out that squirrels eat mainly tree nuts, arguably a healthy diet. Chickens, on the other hand will eat the nastiest fare imaginable including maggots out of a rotting animal carcass. And people prefer chicken?

I know, I know.I`m fully aware that my aversion is totally irrational ! :oops: