CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much drop from a 12 ga slug?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Found some Federal Premium 2 & 3/4 inche Barnes Expanders on sale and decided to give them a try in my 12 ga Browning A-Bolt.

They group awesome! All three shots at 50 yds were touching. 1 inch above the bull. When I moved out to 100 yds, I still had a great group - 3 rounds in a 1.5 inch group. My only surprise was the drop. I was three inches low at 100. A four inch drop from 50 to 100 yds was more than I was expecting.

In my book, accuracy reigns supreme. So, I'm inclinded to stick with the Federals and zero it at 2 inches high at 50 and see what that does at 100.

Anybody have similar results? Anybody have a flatter shooting slug out there that has given good results?

Post subject: Re: How much drop from a 12 ga slug?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:38 am 
Limited Edition

that sounds about right. Shotguns are a MAX 150 yard deer gun. That is with a scope, good slugs, and much practice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've found that if I zero 2.5" high at 50 it will shoot dead on @ 100 yards with almost all of the "Premium" loads from FED/WIN/REM/Hornady.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I clicked my 3200 Elite up 12 clicks. That should put me on the bull at 100. We'll see where that puts me at 50 on Sat. The wife has to work, so I'm free to spend the day at the range.

I'm interested to see how much that raises me at 50. I was 1 inch high at 50.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1/8" per click on most scopes @ 50 yards. So you should be about 2.5" high at 50 and dead on at 100.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:20 am 
Presentation Grade

That's my hope. We'll find out on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I were going to use the gun for deer hunting, I would zero it to have a maximum height above line of sight of 3" and see what distance that gave me for a zero. Then you could be certain that the trajectory of any shot at that distance or closer would be no more than 3" higher or lower than your line of sight. For any shots at a greater distance, just estimate the drop and hold over accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uly,
That just gave me "tired head".
Since if came from you, I'd like to understand what the hell you're talking about because I know I could use it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jlptexashunter wrote:
Uly,
That just gave me "tired head".
Since if came from you, I'd like to understand what the hell you're talking about because I know I could use it.

:lol: :lol: Sorry about that, JLP. I'll try to explain it a bit differently for ya. :wink:

Since the scope is mounted above the bore, the slug comes out below the line of sight (the line of the crosshairs of your scope projected forward). The slug comes out on a slightly upward trajectory and first crosses the line of sight at somewhere around 20-25 yards from the muzzle. Then, it will remain ABOVE the line of sight until it comes back down to the line of sight at say 125 yards (known as your "zero distance").

During the first 20-25 yards of flight, the slug will be below the line of sight by about 2.5" or less. From 25 out to 125 yards, the slug will be above the line of sight. At 125 yards (in our example) the slug will have dropped back down to the line of sight.

IF we zero the scope at such a distance (say about 125 yards) so that the MAXIMUM height of the slug above the line of sight is 3" at about the 2/3 point (roughly 75 yards), then the slug will be no greater than 3" above or below the line of sight all the way from the muzzle to the zero distance (say 125 yards). For shots greater than 125 yards, the slug will be below the line of sight. Any shots taken at greater than 125 yards will require you to hold over the intended point of impact. The amount of holdover will depend on how much farther than 125 yards the shot is.

So, to use this method, set up a target at say 125 yards and adjust your scope to hit the bullseye at that distance. Then, move your target to about 70-75 yards from the muzzle, aim at the bullseye and see where you hit. If the slug hit higher than 3" above the bullseye, then you need to move your "zero distance" closer than 125 yards. If the slug hit less than 3" above the bullseye, then you could move your zero distance greater than 125 yards. The final zero distance you end up with will depend on the ballistic properties and initial muzzle velocity of the slug. A fast sabot slug will give you a longer "zero distance" than a slow full bore diameter slug.

I hope this explanation helps. If not, take 2 Budweisers and call me in the morning. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now I get it.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I'm glad you guys asked, cuz when I first read Ulysses' response I was kinda like... :?: :?:

Makes sense. Thanks for the explenation. With the trajectory I'm seeing from the best grouping slugs I've shot (Federal Premium/Barnes Expander), I think I'm best zeroed at 100. I'm dropping 4 inches from 50 to 100 yds (1 inch high at 50, 3 low at 100).

I clicked the Elite up so that I should now be zeroed at 100. I'm guessing that I will be at my apex at somewhere around 70 yards - should be 4 inches high. Maybe 3 inches at 50 and right on at 25. Beyond 100, I know things are going to start dropping REAL fast.

Is it Saturday yet?? Can't wait to get to the range. I also have a few more ML rounds I want to play with.

Thanks again guys. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Finally got back to the range today. Gave another slug a try - the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold (12 ga, 2 ¾ inch, 385 grain, 1900 fps High Velocity). The results - they grouped nearly as well as the Federal Premiums (1.5 inches @ 50 yards and 2-3 inches at 100 yards). However, they really stood out in terms of trajectory.

With a 100 yrd zero, I’m only 2 inches high at 50 yards. I was 4 inches high at 50 with the Federal Premiums. I have found my hunting slug! 8)

All that speed did come at a cost though. The recoil is noticeably greater than the Federals. Still manageable and worth it for the flat trajectory. I’m real anxious to see what kind of a drop I’m getting at 125 and 150 yards.