CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AMERICAN GUN CO. NEW YORK (SHUTGUN)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:11 am 
I HAVE A SHUTGUN THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME. I WAS WANTING TO KNOW THE SPEC. OF THE GUN. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS ANY INFO. ABOUT THE GUN. WHAT IS THIS GUN WORTH?

SERIAL # 408633
VICTOR PLAIN
AMERICAN GUN CO. NEW YORK

THIS IS ALL OF THE INFO OFF OF THE GUN.

Post subject: Re: AMERICAN GUN CO. NEW YORK (SHUTGUN)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:33 pm 
Crown Grade

It was made by Crescent for sale at H.D. Folsom stores probably prior to 1915 or so...

is it a single barrel or double barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:04 pm 
MarlandS wrote:
It was made by Crescent for sale at H.D. Folsom stores probably prior to 1915 or so...

SINGLE BARREL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

$50 - $75 if in decent condition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:23 pm 
MarlandS wrote:
$50 - $75 if in decent condition.

IS THERE AN WEBSITE YOU CAN FIND OUT INFO ON DIFFERENT GUNS?

IS THERE A WAY I CAN TRACK THE HISTORY OF THE BY SERIAL #?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I've never seen a serialization list for Crescent made shotguns.

to answer your first question, yeah it's this one. What do you want to know? We've got a whole pile of knowledgable people here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:32 am 
MarlandS wrote:
I've never seen a serialization list for Crescent made shotguns.

to answer your first question, yeah it's this one. What do you want to know? We've got a whole pile of knowledgable people here.

THE SPECS ON THE GUN?

DID CRESCENT GIVE THIS SHOTGUN MODEL # OR NAME?

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SOME HISTORY ON COMPANY AND GUNS?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:46 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Don't know what kind of spec's you want, but the Crescent single shots were made in all guages and barrel lengths from 28 to 34" - pretty much whatever a retailer ordered. And names? They had a whole bunch of names, at least 100 - again, whatever the retailer asked for. A Mom-and-Pop store in Podunk Junction, Arkansas, could pay an extra $x.00 to have a roll stamp made up with their own name and Crescent would stamp it. The company was located in Norwich, CT. I have seen some claims that it was founded about 1888, but most experts quote 1893. At least from 1893 the company was a subsidiary of H & D Folsom Sporting Goods of New York City. Folsom sold Crescent-made guns (and Belgian imports) in their own store and also wholesaled them out to other retailers and chains. Sometime in the 1920's Crescent purchased Davis-Warner Firearms and changed the company name to Crescent-Davis Arms. In 1932 Crescent was purchased by Savage/Stevens. Crescent did make some rifles and revolvers, but the majority of their output was of utilitarian single and double barrel shotguns, very few of which are marked with the company name.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:24 am 
MarlandS wrote:

I am Italian and I have a folsom rifle wont the money that
is

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Not worth the expense of sending it back to the US. Have no idea what it would bring in Italy. How much is $50-$75 in Euros or Lire?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:53 am 
Let me piggy back on this question, I just picked up a New York (Cresent Arms) Double BBl 16 Ga. It is in fair to good condition. There is no SN, just the manufacture's id number. It has the Dog Ear (exposed) Hammers and the BBl is marked Armory Proofed Steel. I picked it up as a wall hanger for $150.00. The lock is tight and BBl is clean, I would be willing to shoot it without too much fear, what would be a good guestimate of it's value?

Second, I inherited another 16 Ga Double BBl. made by the Springfield Arms Company of Chicopee Ma. My guess is it was manufactured in the mid 30's. Since this gun was made in Chicopee Vs. Springfield is this actually a Stevens / Savage or other gun maker using the other company's name ie. under contract for? Again this one is fair to good. Any Idea of value?

No, I don't have a thing for 16 ga double guns, I'm actually a rifle guy, these just fell in my lap.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I've seen Springfield Arms on a lot of lists of Crescent-made shotguns, but all the guns I've seen with that name were actually Stevens Model 311's. If your guns are in NRA Fair condition, they should be safe to shoot, since that phrase is part of the definition. I'd suggest having them looked over by a competent gunsmith. Check the chamber length on the New York Arms, they may be only 2 1/2, but both guns are probably 2 3/4. Definitely will not be approved for steel shot. $150 is about the top of the price range for an old double wallhanger, depending on where you are located and just how good it looks. I usually say $125-$150, but others quote prices as low as $50 or as high as $200.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
these just fell in my lap.

Does that really work? I mean if I tried THAT excuse I think my wife would introduce me to the frying pan at a high rate of speed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

:lol: lol Marland, you are a piece of work!

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:21 am 
Utility Grade

I just came across this old thread while trying to search on the net to find out more about the old gun I just picked up.

I have finally finished my "lodge" ( a living room that I repainted and hung all of my mounts. My wife actually came up with the idea! ) I wanted an old exposed hammer side-by-side to hang on the wall and a local buddy sold me an inherited one for $100.00

Decent little wall hanger. Markings say American Gun Co. New York Serial number 222091.

Questions: Any idea when it was made? Was it designed to shoot blackpowder cartridges or smokeless. Is it damascus or "regular"? (It does not seem to have that twisted look)

Thanks! Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:53 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Your gun was likely made from 1890 to 1910, Better take it to a good smith to check it out .. Even if the barrels are fluid steel, it would not be a good idea to use modern ammo in it.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:08 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks NB,

It will likely never be fired. It is just hanging on the wall among my various mounts for a nostalgic, oldtimey waterfowler's look.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

New to this website and this is my first post. I recently bought a box of barrels and receivers to work on during my retirement from the Marine Corps. I just started seperating some of them today and was able to match together the double barrel American Gun Co. Hammerless sidelock. Armory steel barrel not damascus. Most of the internal machinery is still there, but I am missing a least one coil spring and what appears to be a leaf spring.

My question is this. Do any of you know where I may be able to find an armorers guide for this and a parts supplier? I would like this to be a functioning weapon, but not a shooter. Just a hobby to take my time with and eventually on the wall of the Man-Room with the Moose and Bear! Ha!

I've also managed to matcha T. Barker, a Baker Batvia and a W. Richardson. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
\
Thanks,
Billy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

There is so much bad information in this thread I feel obligated to post.

There was a gun factory in Norwich, Conn., that was owned by H&D Folsom Arms Co., 314 Broadway, New York City, from about 1893 to 1930. They made a lot of very low priced shotguns for H&D Folsom to market under the American Gun Co. and the Crescent Fire Arms Co. names. Generally the American Gun Co. doubles had coil springs while the Crescents had a bent piece of spring wire making the very cheapest possible V-Spring. The single barrels made under both company names were called Victor -- "Victor Special", No. 10 "New Victor", No. 11 "Victor Ejector", etc. These Crescent and American guns were also sold in bulk to "the trade" marked with virtually any name the buyers requested.

In 1919 H&D Folsom bought the shotgun business of Baker Gun & Forging Co. of Batavia, New York. For the next decade Folsom also manufactured/assembled Baker and Batavia guns at their plant in Norwich.

N.R. Davis & Sons of Assonet, Mass., was one of the first U.S. manufacturers of breechloading double barrel shotguns. N.R. Davis was taken over by Warner Arms Corp around WW-I. Warner moved the assets from the original factory in Assonet, Mass. to their plant in Norwich, Conn. in 1919, and became Davis-Warner Arms Corp. They continued to manufacture Davis doubles until about 1926 when they closed the plant and tried their hand at importing guns from Belgium. In early 1930 Davis-Warner was purchased by J. Stevens Arms Company (owned and operated by Savage Arms Corp.). A Stevens memo dated May 23, 1930, announced the acquisition and the intent to resume manufacture of the Davis doubles. Another Stevens memo dated December 15, 1930, announced the purchase from H&D Folsom Arms Company of the assets of Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, Connecticut. The memo went on to say that the assets of Crescent would be merged with those of Davis-Warner Arms Corporation and that the newly formed firm would be known as The Crescent-Davis Arms Corporation, Norwich, Conn. Crescent-Davis would be operated as a competitor of J. Stevens. The new firm was no more successful then its predecessors. On November 4, 1935, an order of dissolution was filed with the New York Secretary of State. So, after that the remains must have been moved to Chicopee Falls and assembled and sold off under various names. Crescent-Davis and Springfield guns shown in the 1938 to 1941 Stevens paper I have all appear to be variations on the 311. The Springfield 311 had a casehardened receiver while the Crescent-Davis 600 and 900 had blued receivers.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 am 
Crown Grade

Guess what? I have the closest thing to a serial number-year made table for Crescent Fire Arms Guns. The problem is that I need to know if the gun is a single or double barrel, outside hammer or hammerless. Crescent restarted their serial numbers with each type or model. If the American Arms gun is a single barrel, it was made in 1916. If it is a hammer type double it was made in 1918 and if a hammerless double, it was made in 1919 When I started collecting
single barrel "Trade Brand Name" shotguns in 1975, I started documenting the various names that the makers used. In the case of Crescent I have documented almost 420 names that they used and I know that's not all of them. It has been said that Crescent would make as few as twelve guns in a run with some name on them as long as the buyer paid for the die made up to stamp the name on the gun. I find at least one unknown new (?) name a month. I have many guns in my collection and most, not all have serial numbers. All the Crescent made guns do. I know of no manufacturers ID number on a Cescent made gun. J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company , Stevens Arms & Tool Co and Stevens Arms did not start making "Trade Brand Name" guns until 1915. After they were bought by Savage Arms, they made guns with names like Springfield, Riverside and Chicoppe. These were either Savage or Stevens guns with reduced prices because of the type wood used and finishing done. Gunney, welcome to the retired ranks. I did it thirty years ago (26 years Air Force). As for parts and schematics all I can tell you is search all the auction sites looking for parts guns because parts are scarce for 90 to 100 year old guns. You can buy a catalog from both Gun Parts Inc. (formerly Numrich Arms) of Jack First Inc. They have pictoral breakdowns and may actucally have some parts. I suggest you learn metal and wood working because you are going to have to make some parts. If an Air Force wennie learned to do it, a Marine might be able to do it also.