CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Liege
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for opinions on Browning's Liege, 12 ga F/M. Just bought a used one for $700, Made in Belgium. I've owned a Superposed and Citori, sold 'em both, unfortunately. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Browning Liege
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:34 am 
The Liege was imported in the early 70s as a replacement in there standard product line for the super. For some reason browning decided the Japan made Citori was a better deal and dropped the Liege in favor of the Citori.. You paid a fair price ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey, thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:28 am 
The Leige (a/k/a BAC model B-26) and the Citori were both introduced to the US market in 1973 . They were introduced as an alternative to the costly Superposed. Browning was actually testing the market strength of a entry level European no frills piece, as compared to a Japanese product (Citori) manufactured at the Maurika plant, where sister company Winchester had been producing 101's and side by side 23's for several years. The Leige is a no frills version of the Superposed . Same quality of fit and materials but without the tight checkering (lines per inch) and engraving.

Within three years the American shooting public had accepted the much less expensive Japanese version and a great European entry level product met it's demise. According to the Browning Arms North America web site, the gun is still manufactured for the Euorpean market.

On the value issue, I'll be taking delivery of a one-owner 98% condition unit next week, with 30" bbls, supposedly with only one box of shells put through it. I'm paying $900 for it. The represented conditon, Belguim mfgr and Superposed design are the appeal to me. This gun will be hunted and hopefully will last my 13-year old son the rest of his lifetime!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks so much for your info! I'm hoping to locate a 20 ga. for my daughter (well, maybe for me also!) and really appreciated your reply. Good Shooting!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I too own an o/u not sure if it is a liege or a browning . it has the deer on the trigger guard, also has a browning butt plate . on the barrel is nationale fabique ______? forgot what else another word here though. it has chrome barrel and chambered 2 3/4" made in belgium. i gave $600 for this shotgun three years ago and have never looked back . it shoots good and i can hit with it so really thats all that matters .
i am just curious to what it really is ??????? any help greatly appreciated. thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Leige (High Grade) 4 barrel set

- field barrel 28" full/full
- field barrel 26" mod/imp
- skeet barrel w/ broadway rib
- trap barrel w/broadway rib

The Leige was the beginning of the end....

John M Browning died in 1926, one of his last projects was the Superpose shotgun. "Superpose" is derived from the French term meaning "one over the other".

John Browning was concerned with the negative publicity and protests against repeating shotguns called by conservationists "game exterminators". Fearful the A-5's would be legislated obsolete, JMB told his son Val, the time was right for an affordable sporting shotgun.

The "Over-Under" design appealed to him because of its single sighting plane and that it should not begin close to the eye, but slope up to an apex. The pitch would be pronounced so that the angle where the slope and level plane join would be abrupt enough to be well defined, but not enough to stop the eye.

Unfortunately JMB died before the project could be finished, with the final design work done by his son Val Browning. First introduced to the US market in 1931 it immediately was a hit with hunters and target shooters.

In the 1970's the Superpose began suffering increased costs and low sales, prices rose 29% in 1974 alone. Concerned the Superpose would price itself out of the market, Browning introduced the the low cost alternative called the "Leige". These were made in Belgium at the Herstal plant. Only available for two years, the Leige could be had in high grade and basic blued receiver. This was the beginning of the end for the economical over-unders from Belgium.

The Leige was the predecessor to the Citori. To reduce costs and stay competitive, Browning discontinued the Leige after two years and replaced it with the Japanese built Citori.

This is one I picked up in the mid 80's, complete with Bolino engraving and chromed receiver. These came out prior to the introduction of "interchangeable choke tubes", to get a different choke you needed to change the barrels. About a year ago I found new barrels available for the Leige on Gun Broker for $99 each. Mid West Gun Works near St Louis bought out the remaining stock from FN. I wasted no time buying all the different variations offered and had them custom fitted to the receiver by MGW. Probably the only known Leige 4 barrel set in existence. Recently bought a nice aluminum case to store the gun and barrels in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:15 am 
Limited Edition

guys i have a realy stupid question for you. parden my ignorance on o/u shotguns. i allways thought "Super Imposed" was a generic term used to describe any o/u shotgun. now reading this i see/learn that it is a specific type of o/u shotgun. or is it a term for one specific model of browning and sometimes used as a generic term by others for any o/u. or specific style of o/u. can anyone splane this to me ???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:05 pm 

They're called SUPERPOSED by Browning alone as far as I know. Great guns if you ask me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:42 pm 
Utility Grade

MY SERIRAL NUMBER IS LIKE "L43RN***** DOES THIS LOOK FAMILIAR TO ANY ONE. I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT IN BROWNING'S SERIAL NUMBERS . BUT LIKE I SAID IT IS NATIONALE FABRIQUE HERSTAL, MADE IN BELGIUM AND IT DOES HAVE BROWNING BUTT PLATE OR RUBBER KICK PAD RATHER AND IT HAS THE BROWNING DEER ON TRIGGER GUARD LIKE BT 99. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRICIATED THANKS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would jump at the chance to get one of those made in Belgium Brownings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:30 pm 
Utility Grade

jkoontz wrote:
MY SERIRAL NUMBER IS LIKE "L43RN***** DOES THIS LOOK FAMILIAR TO ANY ONE. I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT IN BROWNING'S SERIAL NUMBERS . BUT LIKE I SAID IT IS NATIONALE FABRIQUE HERSTAL, MADE IN BELGIUM AND IT DOES HAVE BROWNING BUTT PLATE OR RUBBER KICK PAD RATHER AND IT HAS THE BROWNING DEER ON TRIGGER GUARD LIKE BT 99. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRICIATED THANKS

Leige units were identified as the B-26 model. I know of none that have the Browning "Buck Mark Logo" on the trigger guard...these were only on later Browning products. All Leige units have fixed chokes, no screw in tubes....and had chrome lined barrels. Fore stock was removed by depressing a black release button recessed on the end of the forearm. There is no metal release mechanism as found on Citori's and Superposes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I see that this is an old post but I am going to give it a stab. I have been looking for one of these guns my whole life, well, since my dad sold his when I was about 14. It was my favorite gun and this past weekend I hunted with a guy that had one and I tried to buy it from him. I didn't know if any of you fellas may have one for sale or know where a good place to look for one would be. Thanks a bunch!

Conner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

You might try looking on gunsinternational.com - look under the Belgian Browning section in the index - there were MANY Belgian Brownings listed - whether they were B-26's or others, you'll have to look

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

DukCutter wrote:
I see that this is an old post but I am going to give it a stab. I have been looking for one of these guns my whole life, well, since my dad sold his when I was about 14. It was my favorite gun and this past weekend I hunted with a guy that had one and I tried to buy it from him. I didn't know if any of you fellas may have one for sale or know where a good place to look for one would be. Thanks a bunch!

Conner

Conner,

Guns Unlimited in Omaha currently has a very nice one for sale. Give them a call and ask the details. 402-339-0771

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Grand Leige that's in pretty good shape with few rounds though it. It's a great handling gun in 12 gauge with 30 inch barrels. A must have for every Browning fan!
Internally, it's not a Superposed and not a Citori, but parts seem to be easy enough to get.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 12 gauge Belgian Browning Liège 2bbl set w Briley 410 full length tubes

Anybody know anything about these? Barrels are 28" marked SKT, and 30" (can't find marks but I’m guessing are F/F - have not mic'd them). Skeet barrels fitted with Briley full length 410 tubes. Wide rib on both. plain blued receiver with 2 gold pinstripes and buck mark logo. Serial number points to 1982 manufacture. My understanding is that these are a very similar but less expensive "version" of the Superposed, still made in Belgium but before Browning really went all in with Miroku making the Citori line for them.

I acquired this gun on a trade but don't really need to keep it, since I really don’t need a dedicated target gun.

Lever still right of centerline, a few handling marks, I'd rate it 90% easy.

Anyone with sufficiently arcane knowledge of Browning lore please chime in.

Thanks!