It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.P. Sauer & Suhn Suhl 16ga double barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently inherited a interesting shotgun. A WWII bring back from a relative which is an interesting story in itself. It's marked J.P. Sauer & Suhn Suhl on barrels and receiver. 16ga 28" length double barrel with a solid rib down center, hammerless with dual triggers. Serial# 193XXX. Overall condition would be Good to VG. It was never fired once it returned state side in 1945, with a very tight lock up. It's been a safe queen it's entire stay with my family and now me.

So many questions with all the proof marks and writing in German. Left barrel marked: FLUSS-STAHL. Right: KRUPP-ESSEN. The tang safety says SCHER. Lots of stampings of eagles (not Nazi), crowns, bombs, and NITRO. Plus EL that's circled. Also engraved picture of standing hunter on barrel locking lug, and on each barrel underside. The stock was made with raised cheek on left side, round knob tang with checkering, and solid wood butt plate. Really a testament to old world craftsman ship. No cracks or splits in forearm or stock or gouging which surprises me.

On the downside a couple things that bother me. It has sling mounts. One on barrel and the other on stock. These are tiny like I've never seen. Opening is 3/4". And there is a dovetail sight 6 1/2" forward of chambers cut in solid rib. This shotgun was never altered by anyone in our family. The way it came when liberated.

Can anyone give me an idea of manufacture date, or value? Pictures in near future since too many family responsibilities happening. Thx!

Post subject: Re: J.P. Sauer & Suhn Suhl 16ga double barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Date of proof would be circa 1913 per the serial number. The lettering on the tang above the safety is probably 'Sicher'. Standing hunter is likely the Sauer company trademark caveman/wildman/Hercules with club (referred to by all these names by different people).

It would have been made with short chambers, 2.5" or 2 9/16". If you want to shoot it buy the 2.5" RST or Polywad shotshells which are lower pressure shells made for vintage guns. Letting a competent gunsmith look at it first would be a good idea if you do decide to shoot it.

Assuming it's a basic Sauer model with extractors and in overall good used condition I would say value would be in the $700-$900 range.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:39 pm 
Field Grade

I recently purchased a post war Sauer 16ga.

Everything that you describe, especially the sling swivels is the reason I got it, plus it weighs in at 6lbs!

The fit is nice for me, and I threaded a cheap WalMart nylon sling through the 3/4" loops, because for long pushes in the prairie and waterfowl hunting you cannot beat having a sling on any gun. Not to mention it's nice to shoulder the sling when you have to tend to the dog and need the extra hand.

You're lucky...

3ds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

3drahthaars wrote:
I recently purchased a post war Sauer 16ga.

Everything that you describe, especially the sling swivels is the reason I got it, plus it weighs in at 6lbs!

The fit is nice for me, and I threaded a cheap WalMart nylon sling through the 3/4" loops, because for long pushes in the prairie and waterfowl hunting you cannot beat having a sling on any gun. Not to mention it's nice to shoulder the sling when you have to tend to the dog and need the extra hand.

You're lucky...

3ds

So your shotgun also has the rear sight dovetail in solid rib on top of barrels too? If so, then obviously was done at factory like mine. Patiently awaiting your response. Thx.