It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why doesn't the Mossberg 500 get any respect?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Key word.....inexpensive! They are for sure, and probably will out last most of the cheap S/S's and O/U's so many are in love with.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
That no Franchi or Beretta pump currently exists in production seems to bother no one.

As well it shouldn't. Their only market would be primarily the US, maybe Oceania, and there the 870 and 500 already rule the pump gun markets. In Europe, it would have been relegated to police work, and they now use various forms of sub guns and PDWs. Therefore, not enough demand means no action on their part. Besides, they wouldn't make as much profit

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Quote:
Why doesn't the Mossberg 500 get any respect?

How do you measure respect and why is it important to anyone?

Sure, it gets respect . . . by people who buy guns, for Mossberg and Remington sell more shotguns than most.

Still, it is rattly, cheap, and homely compared to upscale pumps.

It isn't surprising that Wingmasters are sometimes more eye-catching.

"Upscale" pumps died out in the mid-1970's from a mass production standpoint. Sure, you can still get a hand worked model 870 Wingmaster or model 37 Ithaca and they'll cost you ~$700+. I suspect those will follow the A5 path in the near term as the price points of Mossberg, et al along with the utilitarian mindset crowd them out of existence.

Find a Wingmaster with the chrome elevator and you'd best grab it for they represent the halcyon days of American craftsmanship.

The model 500 platform is good enough for the USMC. So, if it absolutely, positively needs to be killed.....

Besides, put grade II furniture on one and it will get second looks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bought my oldest (left handed) daughter a 20 gauge 500 18 years ago. It's had alot of use/abuse since with never a hiccup. A year ago she talked me out of a Ithaca 37 12 gauge and put the 500 in semi retirement,but not because of lack of reliability.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 pm 
Field Grade

I love my 500. Functions and points great, good build quality and won't put you in the poor house to own. Most inexpensive shotgun I own and the one I hunt with the most.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:52 am 
Limited Edition

I don’t know how well the Mossberg 500 is made now, but on three different occasions I hunted with people using them and they suffered some sort of breakage. One time the forend wood came loose when the gun was pumped, so the action stayed closed until things were put back in place. (Maybe the wood was press-fit?) another time a 500 stopped feeding from the mag tube, making the gun a single shot, and the safety went MIA on yet another. Never had an 870 or a 37 need field repair.

Granted, I can’t vouch for the maintenance habits of the enthusiastic hunters but more than likely build quality or design had a lot to do with durability. That’s why the Mossberg 500 doesn’t get my respect. But hey, if all I could get my hands on was a Mossberg, that’s what I’d use.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:17 pm 
Field Grade

I prefer my 500 over my 870 any day, better fit and finish, cycles better, ejects better, no lifter to get in the way, never jams or stovepipes, just a better shotgun and both cost less than $300.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:52 am 
Field Grade

I personally own a Mossberg 535. When I bought it there was some issue with feeding in which shells would fall out the bottom when pumped. Off to Mossberg who promptly fixed it and returned it. Ran like a champ after that.

Then I got bit by the bug and started shooting tons of skeet with it. After maybe 2-3 months of hard shooting it went back to Mossberg again for a warranty repair. It wasn't feeding shells from the magazine tube, damaged shell interrupter. Promptly fixed by Mossberg.

Another 2-3 months of high volume shooting and the shell interrupter again was replaced this time with the action bar as well. Mossberg fixed without issue.

Then it sat in my gun cabinet during the off season, I went to pull it out again and discovered a crack going down the stock where it meets the receiver. At this point I just kinda figured I would let it go and get a different gun.

So I'm not saying the Mossberg is junk, in fact far from it. It's a great gun for its price point. However people on this forum, and many other shotgun forums are high volume shooters. And as you can see the Mossberg is simply not up to that task. My 535 in its life has probably seen about 10,000 rounds so it's not unreasonable that I've had a few repairs. But it hardly makes me want to tell everyone on the internet how great of a gun it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Although you may not have meant to tell everyone what a good gun your 535 was, you are anyways. Few and far between are the people that use a pump for high volume shooting these days. Yet your 535 was able to handle it. Yes, it did have a few minor issues that were taken care of by Mossbergs customer service. Overall, your experience does tend to show that even a gun built to a lower price point, can survive the rigors of high volume shooting. I would not hesitate to recommend a Mossberg 500 or 535 to anyone needing a decent pump. They are not the most beautiful pumps out there, but they can take a beating and still go bang. For those who like walnut and blue, there is a version of the model 500 that can be had for a small increase in price over the regular version.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

They get a ton of respect, try the turkey hunting sites, all I hunt now are turkey, in my 70's, suits my life now, all I shoot are Mossberg's, a 835 and a 935, full camo, passed all the fancy gun to the family.

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot, it's that simple!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:31 pm 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

The closest you can get today is the "500 Hunting All Purpose Field - Classic
#50126."

About a year ago, I picked up the 'Cabela' version of the Classic (Extremely similar at first glance, but no gold trigger, etc.)

I certainly don't own a trove of shotguns, much less any upwards of $1,000.00, but 'me and my ~Cabela-ized Classic~' have really hit it off together quite well! I like the 'classic' look,,,, The gun itself just 'works' for me and I have a lot of fun shooting it.

Can't remember a 'bad' day with it, and that stands for a lot in my small world. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm thinking that the next two guns I purchase are going to be a new Ithaca 20 gauge model 37 Featherlight, and a new Mossberg 12 gauge Classic Field with the glossy walnut furniture. I have never owned a Remington pump. I have handled hundreds of them, and they just never hit me as something I had to own. I don't hate Remington, as I would not hesitate to own or recommend an 1100 or an 11-87, but I have no desire to own an 870. So, one could say that the Mossberg gets more respect in my household compared to an 870.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:50 am 
Crown Grade

Turkeyhunter999 wrote:
Few and far between are the people that use a pump for high volume shooting these days. Yet your 535 was able to handle it. Yes, it did have a few minor issues that were taken care of by Mossbergs customer service. Overall, your experience does tend to show that even a gun built to a lower price point, can survive the rigors of high volume shooting.
Regards,
Joe

No, it didn't. It was repaired 3 times in an estimated 10,000 rounds. That is far from handling high volume shooting. Heck, if it were mine, at the volume I shoot, it would have made three trips back to Mossberg in one YEAR. No, that would not be acceptable and is the reason I don't own a Mossberg.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

!0,000 rounds...........how many hunters, especially turkey hunters will go through that in a lifetime of hunting. That's they key, that's why many of us turkey hunters can hunt with a 500, 535 or 835 for 10, 20 years or more. I own one that's close to 40 years old, still used every season as a back-up, would I use it for grouse, NO, that's the role of my Browning's.

Flannel…..the fabric of old men

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm 
Utility Grade

It's easy to assume everyone shoots as much as 'everyone else you know' but the total round count does vary quite a bit from individual to individual.

Hunters:

I don't hunt, but based of my Fathers usage (decades ago) with pheasants, I doubt he went through more than a "couple-3" boxes of shells a year in his pheasant gun. (Model 12)

I'll run 100-200 rounds an outing dinking around on clays, but probably no more than 8-10 outings a year,,, ***

I'm sure some folks use more rounds per outing and have multiple outings a week all year round,,,

Thank goodness we have options!

(*** FWIW, I've went 5-800 223, 3-4k 9mm and maybe twice that in 22LR since 1/1/18. My Shotty's are all more or less 'cool weather / seasonal' entertainment while R & P tends to occupy more of my weekends,,,)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:14 am 
Crown Grade

I bought a 500 recently, a 12 gauge bantam, came with
an extended forearm, a shorter stock, and a 24 inch
barrel. Generally I like the simple design of the gun,
and it only cost $320. I replaced the trigger spring
with a M carbo light weight, and I built a new forearm
and stock for it, built from steel and fiberglass, gives
me an adjustable stock, with pistol grip, and really
long extended forearm. That cost me another $40. So
I have less than $400 in the gun. I decided to make a
video of it, have that mostly done, and been
shooting it quite a bit. I am finding I like shooting it
pretty well, and it is getting more use than any other
gun I have right now. It is just flat fun to shoot, and
has been fun building it just like I want it.