It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions: Kolar Sub-Gauge Barrels (not tubes)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Anyone using one of the Kolar sub-gauge barrels for their 12 gauge? Not the tubes but their barrels that are ~$5k (gulp). I was able to see these in person when I was in the shop and they were excited about the orders that they were getting.
http://www.kolararms.com/pricing (under Additional Products & Services)

I have a full set of tubes and carrier barrel, but am toying with the idea of getting a 20 gauge barrel. I've found the tubes like brass best and there is so much inexpensive 20 gauge shells out there.

That said, say a $3 difference per 20 gauge box means lot of 20 gauge practice to recover the barrel cost :-).

Still, I am curious if anyone has experience.

NSCA#633193

Post subject: Re: Opinions: Kolar Sub-Gauge Barrels (not tubes)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There really isn't any reason to believe that steel head shell will work any better in barrels than tubes until you try them yourself. The ejectors on the subgauge barrels will work identically to the ejectors on 12ga barrels, and by extension subgauge tubes, so unless the issue you have w/ steel shells in subgauge tubes is they are lifting out of the chamber when you go to eject the shell (meaning you need to have the chamber tightened), I doubt the barrel is going to work any better.

Then again, you can buy 70 thousand STS once fired 20ga hulls for the same $5k...

Barring that, there are VERY few people who have Kolar barrel sets yet, in fact I've only seen pictures of one, in the hands of a sponsored shooter, online, so there's a pretty good chance this thread won't yield much feedback.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks SM.

I knew these were new and the chance of a hit was low and it was more out of general curiosity. Now that I have "the gun" so I told my wife, now I can only accessorize it :-).

Totally understand the economics. Even without reloading, the price of factory new AA 20 Gauge vs. Bargain is $3 right now (no rebates) on academy.com, so that is 1667 boxes to break even :-) 12 gauge it would work out over time - 20 gauge probably not.

I had a chance to look at some in the factory when getting fitted for my stock. They are nice, match weight. But, like all sets, you don't get the same sight picture - less noticeable on a 20g.

I am always curious, you do see Perazzi, Blaser and Krieghoff barrel sets all the time with similar prices $3500-5000 per barrel.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:12 pm 
Field Grade

One thing to factor in is the resale potential of the barrels vs the tubes. I was always able to get a decent % of the investment back on quality barrels, not so much on tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Except the aftermarket for subgauge barrels now is EXTREMELY small. You might do a little better percentage wise on resale, but you're going to lose A LOT more actual dollars.

Nobody is using them on a skeet field, and few can afford them for sporting.

Doesn't make much sense to spend $15k on three extra barrels when you can spend 1/10 for a tube set, or about 1/3 of that on a carrier barrel and tube set.

Truthfully, new barrel sets represent little more than a status symbol at this point, since they offer no additional functionality over subgauge tubes.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Skeet_Man I own a Kolar and a Beretta w/ a 3 barrel set, both guns are beautiful and engraved. I don't look at them as a status symbols, I just love guns. No status symbols required. Respectfully, Chip

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

Post subject: Opinions: Kolar Sub-Gauge Barrels (not tubes)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

I own a Blaser F3 three barrel set, 12, 20, & 28 gauge. All 32" long. I got it for sub-gauge events in NSCA & FITASC. When I shot skeet, way back in the day, four barrel sets were hot until lightweight tube sets came along. Tubes worked well for skeet but in Sporting, with longer barrels being the norm, matched weighted barrels seems like a good idea and are soooo easy to just click on my receiver and presto you are ready to go shooting. Same trigger, same rib, and balanced like my 12 gauge, which I shoot the most. Yes they are pricey but the convenience is hard to beat in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 am 
Utility Grade

I purchased the 28 gauge barrel for my 12 gauge when I got fitted, I didn't want to hassel with the tubes, that being said I love it. Sight picture is the same. It's a little late , l hope it helps you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks sportshooter. I bought the tube set with the gun, but have entertained getting a dedicated 20 gauge barrel as I shoot a lot of practice rounds. My 20 gauge tubes have proven a little finicky with promo loads (flawless with better quality) and there is the pressure warnings from Kolar. Wouldn't mind a dedicated barrel that crunches everything like my 12 g does.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Another option is to have a set of subgauge tubes made that use the kolar subgauge ejectors, and do not have relief cuts in the chamber for an extractor. This will make the chamber stronger, but will require an ejector swap every time you remove or install the tubes. I've seen one set of 28ga tubes done this way for pigeon loads. Now that they are making subgauge barrels, and thus subgauge ejectors, this is a possibility, although somewhat of a step backward for a vast majority of applications.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Except the aftermarket for subgauge barrels now is EXTREMELY small. You might do a little better percentage wise on resale, but you're going to lose A LOT more actual dollars.

Not according to Dan Lewis, who probably sells more Kolars than anyone. He told me that the Sporting community is going crazy over barrel sets!

The majority of skeet barrel sets are 28", which is why nobody wants them. New barrel sets are 30 and 32 inches for sporting.

Too expensive for us old skeet shooters, but the new fandangled sporting crowd seems to have a lot of excitement for barrel sets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Another option is to have a set of subgauge tubes made that use the kolar subgauge ejectors, and do not have relief cuts in the chamber for an extractor. This will make the chamber stronger, but will require an ejector swap every time you remove or install the tubes. .....Now that they are making subgauge barrels, and thus subgauge ejectors, this is a possibility, although somewhat of a step backward for a vast majority of applications.

Are you saying you could take an ejector from a 28 ga barrel, and use it on a 12 ga barrel with a subgauge tube? That's not going to work.

What are you saying here, I'm not following you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, but with a chamber cut for the 28ga ejector and no slave extractor. I've seen one set of 28ga tubes recently made in exactly this way. Basically identical to the purbaugh/skeetmaster system.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess I thought you were implying that the available ejectors made for a 28 ga barrel would work on a 12 ga barrel with a 28 ga tube. It wouldn't reach in to the center far enough.

Agree, it would be going back in time 30+ years, switching ejectors with each gauge, and nobody wants to do that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:21 am 
Tournament Grade

When I was at Kolar this past fall they told me this is what a lot of the sporting guys are getting. They had plenty of the barrel sets in various stages of being built.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot a Kolar and see very few of them and zero sub-gauge bbls (of any gauge). I really like this gun and have shot it well and have won M class punches w/ both it and the carrier bbls plus tubes.

I'm afraid that the costs of bbl sets will be hard to justify.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am 
Tournament Grade

I love the look of a 4 barrel set but damn they are seriously heavy to transport!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Weight and price definitely holds me back.

NSCA#633193