It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 47E or 40E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

So I finally decided to get one of these and npt sure what is the difference.

The main thing I noticed is that the newer one don't have the hinge pin screw and it looks like a big pin.
Anyone know anything about this change and what could affect the gun mechanically?

I noticed that they replace the screw beside the hinge pin screw by a cross pin too. Is there a reason for this change?

No cocking indicator. I guess this is a moot point for me. These would be in double rifle since the gun should always be closed...not sure how these could be helpful actually.

What you guys think and know about these changes?

Post subject: Re: Merkel 47E or 40E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quick updates: I bought the 47E 12ga, 30 inche barrel, DT and English stock! it will get here next week.

I noticed that even the new 47E has these changes and none affecting the mechanics of the gun. I asked Einar Hoff from Merkel USA and told me that the hinge pin remains the same but instead of having a screw to access it, they install a "cover" so not every gunsmith play with it and try turning it.

Excited and can't wait to shoot it.

Post subject: Re: Merkel 47E or 40E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

From what I recall entry level Merkel for USA is 47E while entry level Merkel for EU for example is 40E. It is actually pretty much the same firearm. These are very good modern entry level European game guns suitable for use will all types of modern shot shells specified by guns chamber length. The only complaint is that due to minimal hand fitting they are difficult to breakdown and operate when new. Once you break one in they're ok.