It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabarms XLR5 FR Sporter - Love it or hate it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am 
Field Grade

I have been toying with the idea of buying a Fabarms XLR5 FR Sporter Compact. It seems that the people who shoot them tend to love them, even when they have minor breakage issues. It seems that many gun experts hate them and say to stick with Beretta. They claim parts are hard to get and resale is difficult if you don't like it.

What is the deal with these? Why are people so polarized in their opinions?

For those who love it... What makes it better than similar priced Beretta Semi auto?

For those who hate it... What did it ever do to you? Why do you dislike them?

Thanks
Bill

Post subject: Re: Fabarms XLR5 FR Sporter - Love it or hate it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought the XLR5 FR LH, as it is the only competition SA made LH. If Beretta had made the Xcel LH I would have bought it...especially now it's offered in black.

I have to say it's been flawless with loads down to 1oz@1200fps. 7/8oz@1150fps, not so much.

It's more of a pain to clean the gas system than the Beretta. It gets dirtier more quickly than the Beretta A400 series.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've had one for a couple of years. It has been trouble-free. Competition grade trigger, good weight, very little recoil. No complaints from me. Does need a little cleanup if you shoot dirty ammo, but takes a little spray lube and five minutes with a rag. Nothing more than any other gas gun. I don't shoot mine all the time; its been a good one for me. No parts needed yet. I do have a friend whose daughter shoots the compact version and she loves it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have the LR version. I admit that I don't shoot it as much as others do, but I've had no issues over two years. I did a fair amount of research before I bought it and it came down to fit of the guns I was considering. The Beretta A400 seemed to be the go to gun in the opinions of others, but it just didn't feel right to me. Then I was really leaning toward a Benelli Super Sport. I was lucky enough to find a dealer that had both the SS and a Fabarm XLR5 on the rack. I spent probably 10 minutes or more mounting and swinging both guns, first one and then the other. The Fabarm had the edge to me. Mine has the adj comb so I've tweaked it to my liking.

The thing that gets me when people talk about the pros and cons of certain SA's is CLEANING. What's the big deal! If you know shotguns and you have decided to buy a SA you should know that there will be cleaning involved and it will be different from a pump or break action gun. It's probably universally proven that gas guns get dirtier than inertia guns. Why are some brands 'dirtier' and/or more labor intensive to clean than others? I surely don't know. What might be a problem for one individual is not a big issue for another.

I would imagine for each brand of gas SA there might some trick or hack ( in today's lingo) that keeps it functioning virtually trouble free. I clean my gun after about 500 rounds. I make sure the gas port in the barrel is debris free and the action rails and magazine tube are clean and lubed. I use a very light coat of gun grease on the rails and gun oil on the tube. I also make sure the gas piston and related parts are clean. Seems to work for me. I actually find cleaning the gun rather cathartic. It makes me realize how so, so average I'm at shooting clay birds and how much fun I still have making them disappear into dust.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rmac/md wrote:
The thing that gets me when people talk about the pros and cons of certain SA's is CLEANING. What's the big deal! If you know shotguns and you have decided to buy a SA you should know that there will be cleaning involved and it will be different from a pump or break action gun. It's probably universally proven that gas guns get dirtier than inertia guns. Why are some brands 'dirtier' and/or more labor intensive to clean than others? I surely don't know.

It's just data points for potential buyers. It's no big deal, but having owned and cleaned both the A400 and the xlr5 the fact remains the Beretta gas system cleans up faster and needs it less often.

What gets me is folks that never owned a particular gun or have no experience with one, will make blanket statements about them as if all are the same in design and maintenance. That doesn't help potential buyers and is false.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have an XLR5 FR and really enjoy shooting it. I have owned several gas guns and cleaning on this gun is much easier. Why, it is easy to disassemble and get to all the parts. It gets a wipe down after every shoot and a deep clean every month. I shoot about 600-700 rounds a month.

It is the best S/A for me. The best gun for you is the one you are most confident shooting and fits you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have an XLR5 FR and really enjoy shooting it. I have owned several gas guns and cleaning on this gun is much easier. Why, it is easy to disassemble and get to all the parts. It gets a wipe down after every shoot and a deep clean every month. I shoot about 600-700 rounds a month.

It is the best S/A for me. The best gun for you is the one you are most confident shooting and fits you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 pm 
Limited Edition

I also have the XLR-LH, and really love it. Only about 800 rds through it, but 1oz/1200fps works great. Doesn't seem to like 7/8 oz/1200 fps when the temp gets below 40 F, but will work on that. My LH A400 will easily cycle with the lighter loads, but I find the XLR easier to clean, and better built(personal opinion) than the Beretta. My only complaint with the XLR is that I need 2.5" DAC, and with one shim, I am still just a bit high, but I can easily adapt as I am only doing it for fun. Highly recommend the XLR!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:11 pm 
Limited Edition

USAFA,
2.5" DAC - I don't think so unless your eye is the same height as your cheek. !!!

CT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Maybe drop at heel but definitely not drop at comb.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks guys- you are right. I need 1.5" DAC, and 2.5" DAH. But I have been called "weird" more than once!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Those are pretty common specs for field stocks on a lot of different brands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Love my Fabs! Have two XLR5s. One thing you need to know is that sooner or later the sleeve snap ring will break one of the ears off. Mine happened at about 15k and again at 60k. CG will send a replacement at no charge, but you will be down for several days. You may want to buy a spare (about $5) to have on hand.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My first XLR5 was a LR w/adjustable comb, left hand configuration. Had it for two years and found it to be too heavy for 5-stand. Currently have the FR model at about 1# less in weight. Love this gun and so far no problems. I've got about 3k rounds through it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:14 am 
Tournament Grade

SWSportsman wrote:
Love my Fabs! Have two XLR5s. One thing you need to know is that sooner or later the sleeve snap ring will break one of the ears off. Mine happened at about 15k and again at 60k. CG will send a replacement at no charge, but you will be down for several days. You may want to buy a spare (about $5) to have on hand.

Sounds like something I would like to have in my case. Do you have the part number?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SWPAMike, the part number is G-017. You'll play hell trying to replace it yourself though...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 am 
Field Grade

Just picked up an XLR5 Velocity from the buy sell board, so I guess I will be able to answer my own question in a month or two.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm 

Nightcrawler wrote:
SWPAMike, the part number is G-017. You'll play hell trying to replace it yourself though...

I just replaced one the other day for a friend. It wasn't the easiest fix I ever did. This was about 200 shots after I suggested that he get that gun. :oops: :oops: It had prior experience so I have no clue what the shot count was.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Nightcrawler wrote:
SWPAMike, the part number is G-017.

That part was redesigned a couple of years back.

http://randywakeman.com