CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aguila mini shells and the Mossberg 500 cruiser...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Today while in a local pawnshop I ran across a brand new Mossberg 500 "Cruiser" (factory pistol grip, 8 round magazine, heat shield, 20" barrel) that was marked $200. After a bit of doing my best "can you improve on that price" talk, I walked out the door with it for $175.

Now for my question about the Aguila mini shells. I've got a buddy who has a pump shotgun that is made especially for the mini shell (I think it's made in South Africa and sold by SOG) that I've shot, and have been really impressed with the little buckshot round. I was wondering what mods are necessary to make it cycle reliably in the Mossberg 500 action. Do I just need to lengthen the little bar at the bottom of the feed ramp that brings the shell from the magazine to the front of the bolt, or are there other modifications that are necessary? I'd kind of like to try the buckshot version of the shell in the cruiser, the thought of 14 round capacity and less kick from the pistol grip is my motivating factors for wanting to try them.

Any and all comments would be appreciated!

Regards,

Post subject: Re: Aguila mini shells and the Mossberg 500 cruiser...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:49 pm 
Field Grade

i remember some kind of modification being neccesary when i was checking into them, but i cannot remember specifically what they were. you walks away with a VERY good deal though. i payed $299 for the exact same thing about 8 or 9 months ago :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Stinger, I was really happy with the deal. A friend of mine had told me about 4 or 5 weeks ago that this pawnshop had a new Mossberg Cruiser setting on the shelf behind the counter that they were asking $235 for. I remembered that he had told me about it when I was driving by the pawn shop this last weekend, so I turned around and went in to see if it was still there.
It had been marked down to $200, and I was going to take it for that price, but before I said I wanted it, I removed the barrel and took a look down it just to make sure it wasn't rusted. What surprised the heck out of me was that the barrel was completely full of cobwebs and very dusty. At that moment I figured these guys have had this gun sitting out for a while, and might be open to some dickering on the price if I seemed really interested in buying it. Besides, the economy around here is pretty sad, so things like guns aren't selling all that well. Sure enough they were wanting to get rid of it, I guess it had been sitting too long and they were ready to mark it off their inventory. They said they had taken it in on a trade, but that the guy that traded it in said he'd never even loaded a shell in it, so I consider it basically a new gun. It didn't even have any of the normal Mossberg marks on the magazine from the pump being cycled (but it does now since I've gotten it! :) ).

I figured I'd try getting one of the shell elevators off eBay or maybe from Mossberg, and try my hand at welding a longer tab on the bottom to keep the mini shells from dropping through the elevator. I'm pretty sure that's about all the mods that need to be made, but just wanted to check here in case there was something else that needed to be done to make them feed and eject reliably.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:03 pm 
I have just completed the mod for the mini-shell, I extended the lifter tang about 1"1/4 it did help the feed problem but you still have a problem of the round flipping backwards in the chamber (no all the time) it just is alittle to short but if you practice holding the weapon a certain way it works perfect.

Post subject: re: Aguila mini shells and the Mossberg 500 cruiser...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:14 am 
Utility Grade

I tried the tang mod, no go rounds move around.

I finally wrote up the mod I did for the mossberg 500

Not hard to do. I need more people to try and duplicate, and test.
http://firearm.skidome.org

I was able to shoot in USPSA shotgun matches.

updated the new link, this still works after 3 years

aceeyeed

Last edited by aceeyeed on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Curious if anyone knows how these shells work in a remington 870??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:14 pm 
Field Grade

Good info ... thanks. Always wondered how I could use the shorties in the Cruisers.

The word "Parabellum" is ancient Roman Latin in origin and from the motto:
"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" Translated: "If You Want Peace, Prepare For War."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:27 am 
Presentation Grade

thanks so much for posting this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, The Mod I use and have an article on is now located
[url]firearm.skidome.org[/url]

Same web name Firearm Overload.

My daughter at 20 loves the shells less kick and she can shred a target.

I have this working now for a few years.

enjoy
AceEyeEd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
FIREARM OVERLOAD Aguila Minishell Mossberg 500 Modification goes directly to your article, AceEyeEd. Please post here some better pictures of the nylon spacer, and please explain the rounded indentations in it that are not in your diagram. (I think that the side diagram is missing one of the measurements.) Thanks for the link and review. Post more often, o.k.? :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

I've heard from a number of people that have tried the mini shells and had absolutely no problems with them without modifying their gun. Other people have had a lot of trouble with them. The brand of gun doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems that the only way to really know if your gun will cycle them reliably is to buy a couple boxes and try them. I don't know if you have tried the shells, but you might find that they work just fine without modding your gun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Thanks, Tempest. I plan on trying the slugs. There's no way that I'd use the 7 #4 buck / 4 #1 buck combination shells for HD ready loads, but I think that the ability to bug out with 30-50 extra slug shells that small is reasonable. (If they were as accurate as Federal TruBalls that is, which they definitely are not. I may have to pull some strings from my umbrella corporation to order ATK or Hornady to get busy on some small 12 gauge slugs. :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Utility Grade

FWIW. i tried a box (20rds) of the dual buck minishells in my maverick 88, i practiced alot feeding and cycling, trying different techniques before i fired them at my range. the only way i could get it to feed and cycle flawlessly with no modifications to the weapon is to rack the pump action like im tryin to break it and pretend my wifes boyfriend is breakin into our bedroom wyl we r havin sex... u MUST hold the rifle as naturally as possible. u must use it aggressively as possible. u must b comfortable witht the rifle. if u lean or angle the weapon any way out of the norm, u can expect the shell to hang out the bottom of the elevator. if the weapon is held at a really odd angle you can expect the shell to flip around backward. the moment u lose confidence in yer ability to fire minishells from the maverick 88 is the moment it will misfeed. or u ken make the tang on the elevator longer but u still run the risk of flipping the shell backward . or u can do the mini plug mod, but that requires drilling and tapping holes in the reciever to screw in a nylon plug which brings warranty and weapon integrity into question and this plug must b removed before 2-3/4" & 3" shells will feed and cycle again, but u can combat load 1 if needed. ne way guize, happy shooting and may all yer enemies fall with one shot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Having to hold a firearm at a perfect angle and rack it just right and *whatever* to use a certain type of ammo means that ammo doesn't work in the gun. When you have to actually use it, or are training hard to simulate actual use, you're not going to hold it "just right" and it will fail if you're using some weird shell.

Sent from my LG P-930; CM 10.2 nightly builds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wouldn't mind trying these in an 870. The older ones were marked 2 3/4" OR SHORTER. If a 2 3/4" can work in a 3 1/2" super mag then I'd think these could work in a 2 3/4" gun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I had no idea that there was suppose to be modification for the 500 to shoot those mini shells. I haven't shot those shells in years due to me being more of a fan of the Aguila rimfire ammo, but when I used the mini shells, I had no problem whatsoever with them feeding. I heard that they don't feed good if you're too slow at pumping the gun. Might look into getting more of those shells again. I really loved the slug loads. Much easier on the shoulder than the Federal 3" 1 1/4 oz magnum slugs that I am accustomed to.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula