It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a Custom Kolar Stock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 2009 sporting 32" Kolar with a basic stock. I'm planning on getting a custom stock fitted/made at Kolar in the near future. I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs.

Has anyone recently had this done, if so what was the final price?

Would you suggest anyone else for a custom/fitted stock with price and quality in mind?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Getting a Custom Kolar Stock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where in the country are you?

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:36 am 
Field Grade

My country is USA. My zip code is 01089

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:50 am 
Diamond Grade

In the sporting clays forum there are two separate threads going on right now about custom stocks by 2 different members that are stockmakers. I would think that they could provide you with alot of good info.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I would call Kolar 1st, I have seen some beautiful work come out their shop. Cole in S. Florida does beautiful work but he may specialize in Beretta's. S & S did a great custom fit job for my friend http://www.ssplusstocks.com/. I think S & S travels around in a mobile shop.
Doc @ http://www.dockwillergunsmiths.com/# has done beautiful for some of my friends.

My point is there are lot of good folks out there. I would highly recommend my coach John Woolley as a great source of professional advice. Have fun, Chip

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Chip

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I had mine done at Kolar via Jeff Mainland. Did a great job and I am very happy. It took the entire day, I got a factory tour/met the people making my gun and the end result was excellent.

That said, I got the stock made when I ordered the gun so it was (at that time) around $1800. I was basically paying for the work and getting the wood free as it was already included in the gun purchase.

I think it is now $2800 plus the cost of wood (upgraded of the wood is included) per their website. As others have said there are lots of folks that can do the stock work. So shop around. Even with the price increase, the Kolar is a great deal when you buy a new gun.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm 6'-5" and push 265. left handed with long arms.
I had Jeff Mainland fit a custom stock for my new TA-Max.
Because of my odd requirements, the only wood blanks they had that fit were their Grade III, which they sold me at a Grade II price.
They quote Grade II wood at $2500 and Grade III at $3600+
Fitting is quoted at an additional $2800.
You're putting this on a $13,000 gun so it's not really that bad.
And at the end of the day they gave me a knife to remember my visit. I mounted the knife on a scarp of wood Jeff cut off my blank.
Jeff spent all day with me, excellent fitting, covering things I never dreamed of, end product is both beautiful and excellent fit.
I"m sure there are others other there, but Kolar really came through for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

Ditto what everyone said about how wonderful it is to work with Jeff Mainlands and the perfect stock you'll get. I'm in CA and going to Kolar was a bit of a haul and someone suggested I work with Wenig, but I love my Kolar gun and really wanted to see the factory and meet the folks there and I'm glad I did. Great folks, all of them and really cool place to tour. I'm also tall with long arms and big paws and got a nice deal on a blank that was a higher grade than I was expecting to buy. Yes, $2,800 which includes an $800 wood upgrade from their typical stocks. I don't know how to post images, but you can contact me at williamlaven@icloud.com if you want an email with pics of the process and my stock at the end of the day (less comb cutting, checkering, final finish, etc.) It's a beauty and fits me perfectly. BTW, I did this just last week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 am 
Utility Grade

It's been a few yrs for me since I went back to get my stock fitted but it's one of the best experiences you could ever have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm 
Crown Grade

jbmich wrote:
I'm 6'-5" and push 265. left handed with long arms.
I had Jeff Mainland fit a custom stock for my new TA-Max.
Because of my odd requirements, the only wood blanks they had that fit were their Grade III, which they sold me at a Grade II price.
They quote Grade II wood at $2500 and Grade III at $3600+
Fitting is quoted at an additional $2800.
You're putting this on a $13,000 gun so it's not really that bad.
And at the end of the day they gave me a knife to remember my visit. I mounted the knife on a scarp of wood Jeff cut off my blank.
Jeff spent all day with me, excellent fitting, covering things I never dreamed of, end product is both beautiful and excellent fit.
I"m sure there are others other there, but Kolar really came through for me.
That is just awesome.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:21 am 
Field Grade

Have your scores gone up after a custom fit?

How long did it take to improve your scores from your old gun.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 am 
Limited Edition

haswipp wrote:

This is really based on you and how good/bad an standard gun fits you. If it is a minor adjustment, it is a good step to get a custom but don't expect the world. Additionally, a good fit does not overcome poor technique or bad habits. I wish that were true :-)

I rode motorcycles and wrestled and in doing so broke my collar bone several times, so I had to really rotate a stock gun and do some other things to have it on my should and touch my cheek. Let's just say Jeff just shook his head on my first mount.

I can't say this is how it works for everyone, but here is my experience.
It took be about 3-4,000 rounds and some help from friends to break old habits and just relax and naturally put the gun to my face. You have to learn to trust that the gun will just go where it needs to when you have a good mount motion (I shoot low gun).
The first area I noticed the improvement was not my high scores but my low scores crept up. It wasn't until a year later that I noticed my scores going up and I was practicing a lot so I can't say it was the gun fit. So really what I received was confidence the gun points where I look and consistency given stock guns were such a poor fit.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 am 
Limited Edition

haswipp wrote:

This is really based on you and how good/bad an standard gun fits you. If it is a minor adjustment, it is a good step to get a custom but don't expect the world. Additionally, a good fit does not overcome poor technique or bad habits. I wish that were true :-)

I rode motorcycles and wrestled and in doing so broke my collar bone several times, so I had to really rotate a stock gun and do some other things to have it on my should and touch my cheek. Let's just say Jeff just shook his head on my first mount.

I can't say this is how it works for everyone, but here is my experience.
It took be about 3-4,000 rounds and some help from friends to break old habits and just relax and naturally put the gun to my face. You have to learn to trust that the gun will just go where it needs to when you have a good mount motion (I shoot low gun).
The first area I noticed the improvement was not my high scores but my low scores crept up. It wasn't until a year later that I noticed my scores going up and I was practicing a lot so I can't say it was the gun fit. So really what I received was confidence the gun points where I look and consistency given stock guns were such a poor fit.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:43 pm 
Field Grade

I received my gun last Aug., I won the state in skeet 12 ga., and also went from B class to master in 1 season in sporting clays. I wish I did this earlier. Jeff was excellent and the gun fits like a glove.