It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger Zephyr Upland King
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Greetings everyone. Just re-joined the forum after long absence.

I think I found a great deal today at a swap meet at my gun club. Did a search to get some information on my purchase. First side x side I have owned.

Here is what I found. If you have any corrections / other information, let me know.

Stoeger Zephyr Upland King SLE SST. Markings 12 70. 12 gauge, 2 3/4" shells. F1 denoted year of manufacturer as 1960. VS, made by Victor Sarasqueta. 17.5 and 17.7 denoting IC and IM chokes. Engraving is in perfect condition. Very detailed, including floorplate and trigger guard. Shows quail/grouse. Wood has a few small dents in stock. No rust, just a little dirty. Bluing is 90 to 100%. Appears to have spent limited time in the field.

Condition appears to be very good to fine. I paid $225.00. I found two old auctions posted for this model. One in 2006 for $801 and an auction price of $1000 in 2010. When I first saw it, I was thinking Turkish, until I looked at the vent rib between the barrels which said Spain. I had no idea of the quality of Spanish made shotguns. This is from a Remington 870 guy. My fancy shotgun is a field grade O/U Beretta purchased in 1990.

Did I get a bargain??

Now I will attempt to add some pics. Oops!! Update. Learned how to create an album. Pictures in Zephyr Upland King, under my username. Now to figure how to add to a post.

Post subject: Re: Stoeger Zephyr Upland King
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 am 
Tournament Grade

As far as I'm concerned, you definitely got a bargain! Victor Sarasqueta made lovely guns. The Upland King was the top of the Zephyr line I believe, which also included the Woodlander (a scalloped boxlock action) and Uplander (a border engraved sidelock). I'm partial to English stocked SxS guns, so the beavertail forend and pistol grip aren't to my taste, but even so I'd happily pay $400-$500 for an Upland King in very good condition. I'm sure there are some who would happily pay even more.

"At home a friend will ask, 'Been bird hunting?' You will say that you have, and when he asks, 'Have any luck?' You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did..." - Gene Hill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm 
Utility Grade

My feelings exactly. Seeing the condition and engraving I snatched it up. Knowing very little about this type of shotgun, $225 seemed very low. I had a vague recollection that Spanish shotguns were of high quality when I noticed Spain on the vent rib.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I looked at the photos, very nice.

Congratulations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

JPDickson wrote:
I had a vague recollection that Spanish shotguns were of high quality when I noticed Spain on the vent rib.

For the record, Spain has produced guns all over the quality map. Some really lousy guns built specifically to entice buyers in the low-price market, some matching the quality of high-priced Italian and English makes, and everything in between. Spain was then what Turkey is now; a mixed bag.

But Victor Sarasqueta was not amongst those making poor quality guns. They're a fine example of what a Spanish gun can be. I was impressed when holding a Zephyr Woodlander how tightly the wood was fit to those little scallops in the box. Really fine craftsmanship.

"At home a friend will ask, 'Been bird hunting?' You will say that you have, and when he asks, 'Have any luck?' You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did..." - Gene Hill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here ya go...

Here is the link to the instructions for posting pics. You already have them on Shotgun world, so ignore the part about putting them on a hosting site like Photobucket. I put all mine right on this site too.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=238&t=288985

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:30 pm 
Utility Grade

BakerBB: THANKS!! For posting my pics and the information on how to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very nice shotgun! Money well spent.