PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought some 20 gauge Hevi X at
Macks and plan on using it during the
upcoming Arkansas duck season

Post subject: Re: What is Hevi X
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:53 am 
Utility Grade

On a recent hunt a friend shot the Hevi-X, 4's, on big geese and I shot the "Old Green" Remington, 1300 fps, 5's. I'm down to about 2 cases of the Remington, and when it's gone, I'm going to be real sad. Per goose necropsies, the "New" Hevi-X is indeed a sintered shot, the first pellet I recovered was the dumbell off-shaped pellet and none of the other pellets were round or "molded" per EM's claims. The Hevi-X shot well, but didn't have the "knock-down" of the Remington's at the same range. I reserve the Remington's for goose and crane hunting and am confidant w/ the shells at long range and during adverse hunting conditions, ie. high wind. I agree w/ Randy Wakeman that the plethora of misleading claims by EM, continual changes in their shell components, and total lack of transparency makes all of their "claims" suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Very informative post from decoykrvr. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

My son and I finally tried the Hevi X #4. We've taken 26 Ducks and 2 Honkers with it. My observation, comparable to Lead #5. It patterns tight out of my .025 choke, but I doubt this load is a reliable long range product.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:55 pm 
Field Grade

COPPER SHOT IS 8.94 GR.CC COULD HEVI X BE THAT. ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

wayward son wrote:
COPPER SHOT IS 8.94 GR.CC COULD HEVI X BE THAT. ?

Environmetal says Hevi-X is tungsten based and has a SG of 9.6 or so. Probably means it ain't copper....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

All reports are it is the old sintered hevisteel in new packaging. For a while they sold this same basic pellet as Heviduck. Just more deceptive marketing for a pretty good pellet. Sintered Iron/tungsten shot with a mix of sizes in every shell. The original Hevisteel was a triplex load in effect, in the 3" #2 shell was 50% #2 average shot, 40% #4 average shot, 10% B average shot. It would be interesting to read what is found in the new packaged X shot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am 
Tournament Grade

FWIW, here's the photo I saw earlier... if you zoom in, it doesn't say anything other than "tungsten", AT LEAST from these two sides...

Also, someone commented that the box said "25 steel shotshells", but is you look closely, it says "25 waterfowl shotshells"... IF INDEED this is a pic of the most recent version/box...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ENVIRON- ... s?slotId=0

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya!" – Jackass Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, MO, 9/12/8.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I found it in my search for some answers on this Hevi-X stuff.

So, according to the claims, Hevi-X pellets are about 9.6 gr.cc. I find this a convenient number because this is also the same number Kent lists as the density of their new(ish) Bismuth shot that they will offer in 25 round boxes this year.

As a duck hunter who pays attention to this stuff, I usually raise an eyebrow to Hevi-Shot's claims as they are often lacking in some important information. That being the actual density of the shot, and its comparable load (pellet count) in relation to steel. Pellet count is a big one to me.

So I did some math. Going by the Kent website, they claim the bismuth is 24% more dense than steel. That helps figure things out. Their heaviest load is 1 1/2oz. After the math, that puts the load volume (approx pellet count) somewhere around a 1 1/8oz steel load (worked out to 1 7/50oz). For guys like me who remember shooting lead at waterfowl, that's equivalent to a 1 5/8oz lead load.

After shooting steel for so long, I always went with the bigger loads of #2 shot at 1 1/4 to 1 3/8oz loads to keep the pattern density up (really gotta whack those Cans and Reds out here on the bay). But with Hevi-X they claim you can go down two shot sizes from steel, which seems odd because that's the general rule going from lead to steel, 2 sizes up. And lead is still a fair bit more dense than Hevi-X or Bismuth. Even so, if that's the case, going down to a smaller size (#4) would maintain my confidence in pellet count with a smaller load volume. I do wish they offered a #3 size load in both brands however.

The only other question that comes to mind is the ballistic equivalents (or whatever you want to call it). If Hevi-X is a tungsten blend, it's probably quite hard. Bismuth is comparable to lead (soft). Which is better?

Steel, as any duck hunter knows, has a habit of zipping right through a bird, severing some blood vessels, aiding in a death just slow enough for the bird to sail 200 yards into the unknown. Lead would deform, stop, and transfer all of its energy to the bird giving it a better knock down effect compared to steel.

So, is tungsten the same as steel in that regard? Does it pass through birds a lot? I've always been curious of that one.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am 
Field Grade

Mojo99 wrote:
Lead would deform, stop and transfer all of its energy to the bird giving it a better knock down effect compared to steel.

I don't agree with the above, generally.....

To the topic at hand, if the HeviX has density anything like the old Hevisteel from 10 years ago, the 4's will crush ducks and big honkers out to 40 yards easy.