It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Opinions on Remington 870 20 gauge
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

A buddy of mine had an 870 in 20 gauge and it was prone to jamming when it got a little dirty.

based on what I have heard, the newer production remingtons are not nearly the same quality as the older ones. My dads 1100 from the early 1980s is covered in rust and has probably been cleaned 2 times in its lifetime and I have never seen it jam or malfunction

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An 870 only jams with operator error. It’s called “short shucking”.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:15 pm 
Field Grade

I have personally experienced a new production 20 ga 870, a Wingmaster no less, jam with cheap shells over-expanding in the chamber. You can’t short-shuck a pump gun that won’t shuck at all...

Post subject: Opinions on Remington 870 20 gauge
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the cheap shells over expand and stick in the chamber, the same should happen in any gun. That would seem to be faulty ammunition. Why would you blame the gun?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
If the cheap shells over expand and stick in the chamber, the same should happen in any gun. That would seem to be faulty ammunition. Why would you blame the gun?

Blame doesn’t enter into it. I still have the gun and love it. I did polish the chamber. But there are reasons a gun might jam besides short shucking. I’m also not 100% sure it would happen in any gun. Seems like a question of tolerances, which are have some variability.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

S.davis wrote:
casonet wrote:

Blame doesn’t enter into it. I still have the gun and love it. I did polish the chamber. But there are reasons a gun might jam besides short shucking. I’m also not 100% sure it would happen in any gun. Seems like a question of tolerances, which are have some variability.

True, but everybody's supposed to be working to the same SAAMI chamber dimensions and tolerances.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Blazerf3 wrote:
A buddy of mine had an 870 in 20 gauge and it was prone to jamming when it got a little dirty.

based on what I have heard, the newer production remingtons are not nearly the same quality as the older ones. My dads 1100 from the early 1980s is covered in rust and has probably been cleaned 2 times in its lifetime and I have never seen it jam or malfunction

Not exactly sure if an 870 Super Magnum SP-T that`s `05-`07 vintage would qualify as an " older one " , but that thing is absolutely rock solid. No rattles, tight action. Shoots straight and shucks everything with authority.

Post subject: Opinions on Remington 870 20 gauge
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To be fair there have been reports of 870 Express guns having sticky chambers, but I’ve never heard the same complaint about a Wingmaster. I had a brand new Wingmaster 16 ga quite a few years ago that would not extract the spent hull from the chamber. It wasn’t the ammunition, and it wasn’t the chamber. The extractor wasn’t getting a good enough “bite” on the rim of the shell head. I took out the extractor and dressed it lightly with a file to give it more “bite” and the problem was eliminated 100%. This was a brand new gun. So sometimes the problem might not be obvious. With nearly 14,000,000 sold, the 870 design is certainly one of the most time proven of any gun, regardless of the ammunition that you choose to use.

Last edited by casonet on Sat May 19, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have only used a 870 Wingmaster in both 12ga and. 20ga and they are Excellent.