It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup Gun for Kolar Owners
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Okay, it is admittedly a very rare occasion that I need a backup gun. In fact, it is really only the annual service that takes the gun away from me.

So why am I asking? Well I hate to admit it, but I dropped my forearm while disassembling my Kolar. Of course it didn't fall innocently to the carpet, but instead landed on the edge of the Negrini case. The result was a small ding, but also a small crack. It was about time for the annual, so just being safe and sending it in.

Unfortunately, I have a shoot this weekend and next so will have to use my old gun that feels much different than my Kolar. What, if anything, are you using as a backup? What guns, in your experience, feels most similar.

There is also a Kolar Max Lite Skeet locally that is a really good price, but has 30" barrels. It is cheap enough, I could add a custom stock and still be below the cost of new. Despite my barrel is 32", this might be a good add for backup.

NSCA#633193

Post subject: Re: Backup Gun for Kolar Owners
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

I hate to hear stories about dings to any shotgun, but they are all part of the guns history and years down the road you always remember when and where they happened.
I call them my backup guns to my TA Max, but truth be told I've never had to use either one.
Both shoot very close to POI as my Kolar and I can easily switch back and forth when I shoot them for practice.
They are both extremely fun to shoot, but it's my Kolar that does the real work.
I guess Kolar has eliminated the need for backup guns. ;>)
1914 Model 12, 1948 Model 31TC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Guns that feel similar in some ways to me to a Max Lite Skeet with the adjustable rib are the Caesar Guerini Summit Impact and the Zoli Z-Sport HR. The Guerini is probably closer IMO in terms of dimension and how it feels in my hands, but the Zoli's action and lockup is probably closer. The Z-gun is going to run you more; used Impacts are easier to find pre-owned. Both are really nice guns in their own right - it's up to your budget really. If you can afford another Kolar, well... there's your answer :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

I tried other guns as a backup but in the end I ended buying a 2nd Kolar and set it with the same dimensions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:23 am 
Diamond Grade

That is certainly a nice thought, buying a backup Kolar!
As to the OP, lesson learned, carpet, padding etc. to avoid this sort of mishap. When I get home padding goes down at my work station and carpet on top of the bench.
Sorry for your incident.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:18 am 
Limited Edition

Texas Yankee wrote:
As to the OP, lesson learned, carpet, padding etc. to avoid this sort of mishap. When I get home padding goes down at my work station and carpet on top of the bench.
Sorry for your incident.

It seems no matter how careful I am, I can find the one time it is vulnerable to make the mistake. :-) But of course only with my expensive guns. My old Beretta (not cheap but cheaper) doesn't have a mark and I have owned it for 3x as long. Cool part is Kolar fixed it and a couple of other minor marks on the stock for $45!! It looks absolutely as good as new and you can't see a thing. Magic they worked for a very fair price.

Chris Ferres wrote:
I tried other guns as a backup but in the end I ended buying a 2nd Kolar and set it with the same dimensions.

I have come to this conclusion as well. I spoke with Paxton Arms and Jeff at Kolar. Turns out if you had a custom stock made, they can replicate those dimensions for $750 more with the purchase of a new gun. For someone like me who needs a custom stock, this makes buying used less viable than new. Now it is just a matter of time to save my pennies (and if I want the second one to have fancier engraving or something :-)

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:44 am 
Diamond Grade

Now I never thought about dropping a forearm to justify purchasing a new gun, HMMMMMM will that pass muster with the wife? I suppose I can allow her to read your post, absolutely a rational thought process having a backup gun. Once the sting of her K-20 wears off I'll just approach her and recommend I get a backup gun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Beretta autoloader if you're a single gauge shooter. Accurate, reliable, and won't break the bank (compared to a backup double).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:06 pm 
Utility Grade

90-T HPAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Backup gun for Kolar owners? A second Kolar, of course. Everyone needs at least two Kolars. :wink:

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, I kept my XS Pro Comp as a back up. However, if someone comes along and goes Mafia, they'll probably own it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:55 am 
Tournament Grade

before I pulled the trigger on my kolar this was 1 of my concerns, I have totally Fallin in love with my kolar I really don't even bring any of my other shotguns to shoot now a days unless a friend comes without a shotgun. I had a hard a nuff time justifing spending that much on mine. But the best money I spent on a gun yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's a picture of the back-up gun I take to shoots in case my Kolar malfunctions:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John Henry wrote:
Here's a picture of the back-up gun I take to shoots in case my Kolar malfunctions:

That's exactly the same backup gun I have for my backup Kolar! Identical! Check it out below.

OS

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

OldSkeeter wrote:
John Henry wrote:

That's exactly the same backup gun I have for my backup Kolar! Identical! Check it out below.

OS

Wow! That is some of the finest engraving that I have seen in years, definitely a full custom job. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the picture of the engraving on the left hand side of the receiver appears to be of Obama riding a T Rex waving a flag. I'm not much of an Obama fan, but T Rex's are pretty neat. The lop looks quite long on both of your stocks. You guys must have really long arms... Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
Jason Johnson