It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The 626 Pigpocalypse
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

This could have easily gone into The Fringe, but it is not exactly a wildcat cartridge nor exactly a slug per se, so here it is. It may be of some interest. I designed this "cartridge" specifically for a Handi Rifle Pardner Tracker II, 20 ga rifled slug barrel. While nominally perhaps a "poor man's dangerous game rifle", it being a single shot means that one would have to be very bold or very desperate to use it on seriously dangerous game. In fact, I intend to use it for walk-up hunting hogs in brush where shots are rarely out 50 yards and where rapid death and a good blood trail are aided by very large holes. Were I still hunting deer in New England, it might serve the same purpose.

The original load was as follows:

- 20 ga 2.5" Magtech brass shell - uses large pistol primers

- 83 grs Black powder (15 grs 3 F as a "primer", 68 grs 2F as main charge)

- Wad column: 18 ga over powder nitro card, 2x 0.5" 18 ga fiber wads, lube cookie, 17 ga overshot card

- .626" 370 gr pure lead round ball held in place with Scotch tape (glued in picture but I didn't like the idea of glue adhering to the ball. I have subsequently manufactured a crimping tool that closes the case mouth on the ball.

The RB is somewhat shallowly engraved by the rifling when slugged, but it must obturate sufficiently because accuracy is good. The first three shots sighting in the Simmons 1.5 - 5 shotgun scope were low and bracketing. The next five were all in the black on a 25 yard rapid fire pistol target. These were shot at 50 yards offhand to simulate field use, I find accuracy good.

This original load chronographed at 1210 Fps, with a 12 Fps SD.

I then tried it at 100 yards and was quite surprised. Worst group was 2 touching and the 3rd 3.5" low. Best group was 1.75" and the average was under 2.5"

To improve velocity, I then tested 95 grs OE FFg at 100 yards. Accuracy was 2 - 2.5" but velocity went up to 1344 fps, albeit with fairly brutal recoil. That's 1483 ft/lbs and a Taylor KO of 44. Still doing 950 fps at 100 yards and nearly 750 ft/lbs. Good enough for deer and pigs.

This is a great rifle for walking up hogs and now sports a Red Dot sight.

I have also been working on this with the Ballistic Products 20GA Dangerous Game Slug and while I have had 1400 fps, I have not been able to achieve acceptable accuracy yet.

Post subject: Re: The 626 Pigpocalypse
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Damn, that's pretty awesome! You should post this in the shotgun casting section of castboolits.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Blood Trail wrote:
Damn, that's pretty awesome! You should post this in the shotgun casting section of castboolits.com

It's on castboolits somewhere. Not in shotgun casting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 pm 
Field Grade

What's the rate of twist? I'm new to slug hunting, but I've shooting muzzleloaders for.... don't make me do the math. A long time. The closest thing in my safe to the Pigpocalypse (love that!) is my .54 round ball riflewith a 1:66 twist. Patched round balls out of my 12 ga shotgun will penetrate four 2x6 planks and imbed deeply in the fifth, but accuracy is mediocre; I wouldn't stretch my shots further than 40 yards.