It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Trulock Chokes

Post subject: Frozen Choke Tubes in Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 am 
Site Sponsor

What Causes Shotgun Choke Tubes To Lock Up Or Freeze In The Barrel?

Part 1 of 2

I’m sure a lot of shotgun shooters have encountered this dreaded problem. You start to remove the choke from your shotgun and it will not budge. You increase the pressure on your choke wrench and still get no movement. You eventually end up putting enough torque on the wrench that it causes your face to turn red and your arms too start to tremble. The choke still does not move. You then find some sort of tool to give you additional leverage on the wrench and the darn choke tube still refuses to budge.

You start to wonder what you did to cause this problem!!

There are basically three things that will freeze shotgun chokes in the barrel.
· Rust
· Residue build up from fired shells (unburned powder, fiber, plastic, etc.)
· Choke tube expansion (Creep)

If you want to keep your shotgun chokes functioning as they were intended then the below maintenance items should be followed on a regular basis.

1. Loosen and retighten the choke on occasion. Even better if you remove the choke and reinstall in the barrel on a regular basis. This will break any bond that is attempting to form.
2. Clean the choke body and remove residue from the threads with a stiff brush and solvent of some kind.
3. Clean the internal threads and choke counterbore in the barrel using a bronze bore brush and solvent.
4. Wipe all surfaces dry after cleaning and lubricate them with a few drops of high quality gun oil.

Choke tubes like this are what you are trying to avoid

This is not how you want to remove a choke tube

Post subject: Re: Frozen Choke Tubes in Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

I always use grease on my tubes, you say oil the threads. Is there a reason to use the oil and not grease? I pretty much do everything you do with exception of the oil.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Grease for me too. A light film of STOL on the threads and entire outside body before it goes in the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Sponsor

Grease or oil will work. The main thing is to use "something" that helps keep residue from hardening, lubricates and protects.

In some instances choke tubes that want to loosen under recoil work better if they are installed without grease or oil. However closer attention is really necessary if you choose this option.

George Trulock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 am 
Crown Grade

Grease or anti-sieze?

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:37 am 
Site Sponsor

I have used all three over the years. All of these worked fine.
The main reason I use oil now is that it is somewhat easier to remove when I pull the choke for cleaning. Anytime I get around grease it seems to have the ability to get on my clothes and works up my arms to my elbows. :):)
George

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've used grease and oil on choke tubes and both work well. Just be sure to use something and loosen them up (then retighten before shooting) from time to time.

Usually at the end of the shooting day, I'll loosen the choke tubes in the barrel before putting the gun away. I change chokes often enough that a stuck tube is not a worry for me. But nevertheless, I keep them oiled anyway.

If your chokes vibrate loose when shooting, try a layer of teflon (plumber's) tape around the choke threads.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Oil migrates; I went from grease to anti-seize and save that expensive grease for hinge pins and knuckles. From everything I have seen, it seems that shotgun folks do the opposite of the rifle/pistol folks. We tend to use oil on things that slide and grease on things that rotate; whereas pistol folks do the opposite.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"Expensive grease"??? :lol: :lol: For about $8 you can buy a 10 year supply at the local auto parts store. You don't need to ration it. :D

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Great post Trulock.

And I'm with the crowd that uses grease on threads for the most part. Plus correctly use grease on things that slide and bear on each other; and oil on rotating parts.

I like RIG+P on Stainless and other pistol slides; hinge pins and trunions. And certain pump slide parts.

And a light bit of RemOil or CLP on things that need oil.

Here's another tip as a follow up to the OP. If you have badly stuck chokes or something - have a good gunsmith!

Our son guides on the side for waterfowl, and mainly uses a BPS and Wingmaster.

His BPS has seen a LOT of harsh duty and is often in the bottom of his jet boat, kayak or raft.

We're sending it off to have it refinished and coated by Black Ice in Utah. (I'll be refinishing the stock). Could not get the butt stock off no matter how hard I tried after completely stripping everything else down.

Put some CLP on the bolt, then PB Blaster last night. Still wouldn't budge.

Took it to Ronnie Cox here in Greenville, SC today who was highly recommended. 30 seconds - stock is off.

Which was fortuitous because I need some recoil pads installed on a few guns, trigger work on a deer rifle; and some scope work done. After seeing Ronnie's shop and his work - he's getting all my business.

Oh, and he didn't even charge me for loosening the butt stock even though I tried to pay him. I hesitate to mention his name selfishly because he's pretty backed up with work and I'm taking two rifles there tomorrow LOL.

But you really appreciate good, honest hard-working craftsmen like that and if anybody in the upstate needs and Gunsmithing done; I'd be checking out Ronnie Cox in Simpsonville first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
"Expensive grease"??? :lol: :lol: For about $8 you can buy a 10 year supply at the local auto parts store. You don't need to ration it. :D

Compared to the $2.99 tube that will last me three lifetimes, yeah - EXPENSIVE grease.......I use RIG............... :lol: :mrgreen: {hs#

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

trulock wrote:
I have used all three over the years. All of these worked fine.
The main reason I use oil now is that it is somewhat easier to remove when I pull the choke for cleaning. Anytime I get around grease it seems to have the ability to get on my clothes and works up my arms to my elbows. :):)
George

That's why I don't like anti-seize, it's just too dirty. Plain old Hoppe's Gun Grease works well and is cheap enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Super Lube threads and body. Its a clear synthetic grease when it gets too Black simply wipe off and re-grease, same with the barrel threads. Learn this with muzzle loader breach plugs. TC makes male & female plastic thread chasers that work great for thread cleaning, just some thing else some one could market for chokes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 am 
Site Sponsor

Thank you for the info.
I will look into this.
George Trulock

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:22 am 
Utility Grade

I have a peanut butter jar with the copper anti sieze that drillers use on well drilling rods. It keeps stuff from seizing together. It was a "gift" out of their 5 gal bucket of the stuff. Lots cheaper than the $$ for a little tube at the auto parts store but about the same stuff. I use it on my breech plugs and vent liners for me smokeless MLs, screw in shotgun chokes and on bout anything else I crank down hard on and don't want to get stuck. Little goes a lonnnggg way. 10