It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Buckhammer's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Will Remington ever bring back the Buckhammers. They shoot extremely well in my Mossberg 590a1 -75 yards in. I assume they are not going to bring them back since they haven't yet. What slug did you go with to replace the Buckhammer's? Looking for a great smoothbore slug for whitetail deer. Assuming they group well in my 590a1. Thanks, Michael

Post subject: Re: Remington Buckhammer's
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Remington Buck Hammer slugs were designed for rifled barrels. There are plenty of rifled slugs on the market designed for smooth bore barrels. Winchester, Remington and Federal all make rifled slugs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 pm 
Field Grade

I liked the buck hammers as well. The Slugs R Us slugs are similar but more accurate. If you are shooting a mossberg 590A1, I'm assuming you have a fixed cylinder bore? In that case I'd go with Brenneke Classic Magnum, or Green Lightening. Brenneke slugs like cylinder bore, foster slugs tend to like improved cylinder. I don't see the point in paying extra to put sabot ammunition through a smooth bore when the cheaper stuff will perform better in this case

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 am 
Tournament Grade

If your gun is shooting that well with buckhammers, I wouldn't change (unless you are totally out). I reload the Slugsrus slugs which are very similar to buckhammers with a non-discarding sabot. Have you tried armslist.com or gunbroker.com? Bet you can find some on there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am 
Utility Grade

After spending the afternoon trying different slugs the Winchester SuperX 2-3/4 shot the best. All 5 touching at 55 yards. When they shoot they just didn't have that thump I'am used too. Also they are a 1oz slug instead of 1-1/4oz. How are these on whitetail deer. I know its about shot placement but I also want a nice bloodtrail to follow if it doesn't go down in sight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:52 pm 
Field Grade

whatevrdoumean wrote:
After spending the afternoon trying different slugs the Winchester SuperX 2-3/4 shot the best. All 5 touching at 55 yards. When they shoot they just didn't have that thump I'am used too. Also they are a 1oz slug instead of 1-1/4oz. How are these on whitetail deer. I know its about shot placement but I also want a nice bloodtrail to follow if it doesn't go down in sight.

They are more than adequate for deer...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I mourn the loss of the Buckhammer slug. Checked w/Remington yesterday - they have no intention of bringing them back.

I went to Lightfield Hybrids (wider than most but still in a sabot), great accuracy and no blood trail. Slug mushrooms and stays under the hide on the opposite side, just under the skin. By the way I shoot a 20 gauge. Someone has to come with a full bore 20 gauge slug that works.

Doubleeagle Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

BUCKHAMMERS are very accurate in my 870 smoothbore with rifled choke. They were as accurate as sabot rounds to 100yds but much cheaper. That’s why they’re prob not coming back

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I was given a tray of the TARHUNT slugs, full bore 20 ga. (not sabot). Will try them on targets, if they shoot ok I will see how they work on deer, particularly regarding pass through and blood trail. I haven't seen any reports about performance, apparently haven't caught on, I'm sure in part due to cost - $5.00 per shot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 am 
Field Grade

Shot some of my tightest 100yd groups with Rem Buckhammers out of rifled barrels(as well as rifled chokes). They were IMHO the best bang for the buck slug on the market at the time, and shot well in almost every slug gun(rifled choke or rifled barrel) I know of. The lead engaging the rifling rather than a sabot all but eliminated the "fit" of different bores and made them shoot well out of almost any gun. Massive knockdown, but the recoil was nasty also..especially the 3"...In fact the very first one of those I lit off in my Winchester 1300 cantilever barrel scope eyed me and the scope/cantilever mount came off the barrel and landed on the ground. Obviously the Silver solder they used to attach it was not very well done or something?? I called Winchester and they replaced it so I didn't care, but I did stick to the 2.75" BM after that..LOL