CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Use a Browning Citori 425?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Just found a minty Brn Citori 425 Sporting for sale with 32 in ported barrels for $1000. I'm looking for a shotgun I can shoot trap, clays and skeet with. (Maybe it's a compromise.) It feels good - the only issue is with the 32in barrels - I had been looking for 30s.

Can anyone give me an opinion on the 425? Thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Anyone Use a Browning Citori 425?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:29 am 
Crown Grade

Jump on that puppy!!

I had resisted jumping on the band wagon of what I had believed to be the current "fad" of long barrels. Most all of my shotguns are 28" barrels, and they felt good to me. My one buddy has progressed from 28", to 30", to 32", and now has 34" barrels on his Krieghoff. Personally I thought he was nuts. And I couldn't understand why Perazzi has been offering a skeet gun with 31 1/2" barrels for several years now.

Well, last month I had to find out for myself. I bought a new in box 425 sporter with 32" barrels, which is actually quite hard to find now, as it has been discontinued for a few years, and when it was being made they didn't make all that many with the 32's.

Wow!! I have never shot so well. First time out on the skeet field I tied my second best out of a hundred. Second time out I tied my best ever. Both days I had a clean round. Then I took it out to the sporting clays field and shot my best ever!!!

I found the long barrels really smooth my swing out, and help to prevent stopping my swing. I had also thought one had to be really big to handle that length of barrel. I am only 5'10", and in my early 50's, and that barrel length is no problem for me at all.

I also do not like Browning's current love of ventilated side ribs. I had them on one gun and after shooting in the rain or snow I had a devil of a time trying to clean between the top and bottom barrel. At some point I felt the gun has got to start to rust up in there. I sold that gun to buy one with solid side ribs. The 425 has solid side ribs, that is why I bought it rather than the 525 currently being made.

If the gun is in excellent condition, the price is very right. Jump on that puppy, I think you will love it.

Good luck,
Grousen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Grousen that $1,000 is a heck of a good (perhaps great) deal on that gun. Jump on it. Given my choice of that gun or a new 525, I'd take the 425 Sporting! On second thought, don't buy it. Just send me a PM telling me who has it for sale and I'll buy that puppy. I can make a couple of bucks on that deal. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll go down first thing Monday (tomorrow) morning and buy it - if it's still there. I wanted a little confirmation that 32 inchers were okay - I'm so used to 28 inch barrels on my field guns. I'm new to the clay sports, so I'm kinda feeling my way along...

Thanks again. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:59 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Buffnab;

If you get it and you decide you would rather have the 28" barrels, I'll trade you. Mine has an adjustable comb on it. For a Grand, you better snap it up mo-tiky! Outstanding price for that gun! Under priced by at least, well, I won't say, I don't want to screw up your deal!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

The Browning 425 is one of the finest shotguns ever made. You're getting a fantastic deal.

I personally perfer Berettas but have shot a bunch of Brownings and really liked them. The 32" barrels are the way to go too. My little Beretta has 26.5" tubes with about 3/4" of choke sticking out the end for a grand total of about 27 1/4" of barrel for the payload to travel down and I really wish it had a few more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:31 am 
Limited Edition

Buffnav????.........Oh Buffnav........Did you pick up the knew toy today? Still driving home from shooting a couple dozen rounds? Ok, get back when you can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Boy, am I excited! Picked up the "new" Brn 425 Monday afternoon. Haven't been to the clay target range yet, but will make it by this weekend. (Unfortunately, working for a living gets in the way of the fun!) :( I'll post a note and tell you guys how it shoots - which should be fantastic!

Thanks for all the good advice, guys. :D

- Buffnav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

Good luck man! With a little care and maintance that gun should last you for, oh, about 300 years or so. Good guns. You should really like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:04 am 
Crown Grade

Congratulations, you picked a very nice shotgun. Treat it well and it will return the favor. Best of luck to you with your new gun!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I shot a Browning Citori and I absolutely love it. I don't ever plan on getting another gun. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Still waiting for a report from Buffnav on how the 425 shoots. Maybe he fell so much in love with it he decided to elope with it. :wink: :D :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Guys - the "new" 425 is great. It's heavier at the muzzle than what I'm used to, since it's got the 32 in barrels, but shoots wonderfully. I'd like to report that my skeet scores went up dramatically, but they didn't. I'm sure the fault is mine. Haven't shot much lately - have been fighting flu and bronchitis - but I'll be busting clay again real soon, I hope.

Thanks for all your help. I'm positive I made the right decision, and you-guys gave me the confidence to go ahead and buy. $1050 is a bunch of money for me, but this gun is 99.9% mint and turns out to be well worth it! And, it's something I'll pass on to grandkids one day...if the John Kerry and the Hillary Clinton-types let me.

Happy shooting! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:54 am 
Utility Grade

It must be the 32" barrels. :) I have a minty 425 sporting with 30" bbls...I will be happy to trade even up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

yes, it's an excellent gun, one of the best Citoris out there...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Not if I can help it.

Quote:
one of the best Citoris out there...

I would agree. That's why I don't have any other Citoris, either. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

just as good today as it was 5 years ago when this thread was started.

Your tongue is loud in the village, but in battle it is still. -- James Fenimore Cooper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marist89 wrote:
just as good today as it was 5 years ago when this thread was started.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, mine is still working, gun that is. :wink:

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

I just had met someone today that said they had the perfect gun for me, a 425 -- :D -- although he wants $1500, but has a bunch of chokes for it too. I'm suppose to shoot some trap with him Sunday.

Thanks for the info guys {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:48 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 425 Miller^s gun that I have used for thousands of rounds and absouletey love it. You are very fortunate indeed because a friend of mine found a 325 with 30" barrels and gorgeous wood several years ago for 1000 dollars.