It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester SX3 field
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 am 
Utility Grade

Have any of you ever deer hunted with the Winchester SX 3 field 12gauge? I’m wondering what choke and slugs I should use!!

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Winchester SX3 field
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

You will get all kinds of answers about shotguns shooting slugs, some factual, some wives tales. If you can't get a slug barrel, use yours with an IMP CYL tube, you can get a set of Williams Fire-sights that will attach to a vent rib.........then try every brand of Foster type slug and see what your gun likes best. If you order on- line Williams will have them to you in about a week.

If you want to use Sabot slugs get yourself a rifled tube for your gun, same route with sights.

Not familiar with the SX3, does it have a drilles and tapper recover for scope mounts?

There are better options you can research, I just gave quick and easy solutions.....and JMHO

Flannel…..the fabric of old men

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Should be.........drilled and tapped receiver, my edit feature not working!!!!!!

Flannel…..the fabric of old men

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Will a light modified choke be fine with rifled slugs? I’m all dialed in with a scope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot SX3 slug gun (20 gauge). Very accurate, pleasant to shoot but must be constantly lubed or it will not cycle; either fails to eject at all, or fired shell hangs up, following round jams against it. Forget about clearing that in time if a 2nd shot is needed.

Gun is well and frequently cleaned and lubed with Break Out, although I probably only shoot 15 rounds a year - 3-4 to sight in, balance hunting. Full recoil loads, not low recoil.
Mostly Lightfield Hybrid but has happened with various brand slugs.

As much as I like this shotgun I am close to ordering a Remington 11-87 to replace it. I used a 12
ga. for 20 years before switching to 20 ga. w/o incident, and probably have cleaned and lubed the Winchester more in 3 seasons than in the entire time that I used the Remington.