It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How far are you willing to go in qursuit of winged game with
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Another state?

Driven pheasant and partridge and grouse in Europe?

Capercaillie and Black Grouse in Russia?

Doves and ducks in Argentina?

Exotics in Africa?

Experientia est optima magistra.

Post subject: Re: How far are you willing to go in qursuit of winged game
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 am 
Limited Edition

Good question. I asked something similar when I started sporting clays. Now, 2 years in, I'm starting to bird hunt (actually prefer it, I think).

This is my first season. I live in an area that is not bird hunting friendly (not in a flyway, not a lot of open land, and strict regulations), so any hunting involves a drive. The nearest public lands with birds on them are a two hour drive. But they are public parklands, so I might be hunting alongside a hiker or dog walker. The nearest preserve is also about 2 hours by car; therefore, 4 hours of total driving to hunt birds.

For clays, i'll drive 4hours but only if I can get a hotel room to shoot a multi day event to make the drive worthwhile.

Europe would be a life time bucket list goal! Out of the question in terms of finances. I'd like to go to the west (US) to Idaho or maybe GA for quail etc...another bucket list item.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

It depends. If it's a destination trip, then the drive time will be longer. As an example, we used to drive 7 hours, one-way, for our annual pheasant trip. Nowadays, I drive 45-50 miles, one-way, a couple days a week to hunt quail.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Depends, for birds...forest succession, more humans, selfish deer hunter attitudes/feeders and more have reduced the distance from out the back door to 2 hours - 16 hours away.

I went to scotland once for red grouse ahead of pointers....nice and memories galor but so much more is available w/o the passport...and with fewer people to contend with along the way. Crowds or parking lots hold zero appeal, for me.

Is this question related to a business seeking opportunities?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I'd like to go to the west (US) to Idaho or maybe GA for quail etc...another bucket list item.

Idaho will be wild California quail, while Georgia will be bobwhites on a quail plantation. TOTALLY different types of hunting styles. Both are a lot of fun.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Usually pheasants less than 15 miles from home.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Multiflora wrote:
I went to scotland once for red grouse ahead of pointers....nice and memories galor but so much more is available w/o the passport...and with fewer people to contend with along the way. Crowds or parking lots hold zero appeal, for me.

That was quite an experience, I bet. You ought to consider Scandinavia. The same grouse, the same pointers, but wide open spaces, really wild terrain, and some black game and capercaillie too.

Multiflora wrote:
Is this question related to a business seeking opportunities?

Yes. And no. Yes, I'm into marketing for a company that defines itself as "the global online marketpalace for hunting trips". But no, I don't want to pitch any hunts, or even the company itself here.

It's just that I've noticed that hunters seem to be willing to go much farther (and pay much more) for big-game hunts than for bird hunting, even when the experience seems to be comparable. Trying to figure it out.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:24 am 
Diamond Grade

I came very close to dropping a black grouse in Scotland....only a quick shout from the dog handler prevented it. The difference to an inexperienced fella was...slight, at the moment of flush.

“Paying more” may, at too many times, be about ego, displaying a wallet or bragging at the barbershop...big game or bird hunting.
Big game tho can, especially today, be easier to market for all those reasons....competition and head gear for the wall may rear it’s head as well.
I have seen marketers tie a “day of bird hunting” in with big game trips. One fella on the Scottish trip exchanged one day of red grouse in order to shoot a red stag..it worked for him...made no sense to me but, Bob often does not. :-)

I suspect that “global” bird hunters are most often about high numbers of birds, high presented birds, exotic areas, and/or driven opportunities with all the trimmings. None of those reasons applied to me which is one reason I have not repeated....even grouse ahead of pointers.
Distance and paying more can be all about the difference in a big game hunter and a bird hunter....especially bird hunters who want the experience more than the fluff and are most about bird dogs without a passport. Darn Canada...:-).

I would say, that from photos and reports, an opportunity in Scandanavia behind dogs would be interesting. I’ll leave the limb swatting of capercaillie tho to others that find such stuff as that appealing....to much like big game hunting and shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

Drive 900 miles out to Oklahoma each fall to hunt doves for 20+ days.

Longest trip was from southeast Tennessee to Thompson, MB to hunt the Conservation Snow Goose season (about 2000 miles). Drove all the way. Then got on a train for a 13-hour ride to Churchill. MB. Then rode a de Havilland Beaver out to the hunting area. Great experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 pm 
Field Grade

I've been planning my retirement hunting adventure for close to twenty years. I have two or three more until I can do it.
I want to take my truck with camper, a boat and my dog and follow the duck migration. Start out in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, move down to the Dakotas and Minnesota. Then move to western Iowa and Nebraska and follow the Missouri river through Missouri then down to Arkansas and ending up hunting in Mississippi and Louisiana.
Ducks will be the main game but I plan on a lot of great upland hunting along the way too.
The wife, sons and friends will hook up with me in different places along the way for hunts.
Six months on the road with my dog, hunting and meeting people throughout the hartland will be a great way to kick off my retirement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am 
Field Grade

I routinely drive 4-5 hours to hunt grouse and woodcock. There are grouse and woodcock much closer to home, about a 2 hour drive, but they are few and far between. I’d rather drive farther and move 20-30 grouse each day than stay close to home and feel lucky if I move 5-8 grouse each day. It also doesn’t hurt that when I travel further it’s with good company, more dogs, and involves good meals and lots of laughter.

I have also been traveling regularly to England to shoot driven pheasant, partridge, woodcock, ducks, and geese. It’s a long way to go, but it’s a unique type of shooting not found here in the states, and like my trips north, I always find myself in good company.

A day of shooting is about much more than just the shooting. A day of bird shooting is in many ways more social than big game hunting. Bird shooting allows for lots of socialization afield, while big game hunting requires more concentration on the spot/stalk/ shot process.

http://allseasonsoutdoors.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-season-to-remember-part-3-sticky.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would undertake travel to any and all of the above. Right now with 3 kids, two of them in college and a third still to send, I do not have the funds to support those activities. So I am limiting my hunting to the northeast.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm 
Field Grade

1,500 mile semi annual trip from Washington to North Dakota. Waterfowl and pheasants.
Would like to do spring snow goose and someday a plantation quail hunt.

Last edited by Hal4son on Fri May 18, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quail throughout Arizona, pheasants in So.Dakota. I've shot a few Franklin's grouse in BC and ptarmigan in AK, but they were incidental to sheep. GJ