It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If you think skeet is dead.....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have fun John.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Station9 wrote:
ShowMe wrote:
Station9 wrote:
I have a camp in North Central Pa and haven't really hunted there in years.

Here is the timeline from my POV:

70's Mature forest, acorns and browse. Lots of deer, grouse, squirrels, and bear. No known coyote population.
Early 80's Gypsy Moth devastation, lot's of nothing, coyotes started appearing.
Late 80's recovery from a tornado, heavy blow downs, deer populations up, good deer hunting many nice bucks.
Early 90's forest fire by arson, arsonist later killed himself, deer still there, good population.
Forest fire recovery period, grouse hunting was great, not Wisconsin great, but still great.
Coyotes were appearing there in big numbers, but deer hunting was still OK.
PGC started issuing more antlerless tags in the form of Bonus licenses due to excessively high deer populations They were wrong about this, and later reduced anterless allocations in certain WMU's
Deer herd was declining, coyotes were everywhere, even howling in the daylight. One deer hunter shot one off a rock while he was howling. I shot one running up a log. Deer were still there, but in reduced numbers.
West Nile killed off the grouse population, still a few birds there, but not a population to hunt.
Now you may see a nice buck there, but you may not see anything for days.
I was up for the first time in 5 years this fall and scared up 3 deer and 2 grouse in 2 days.
It was archery deer and bear and grouse and turkey season. On the way home on ~ 20 miles of 2 lane highway, I saw 2 trucks, one was a forestry truck and one was a gas well truck. No hunters. Rather telling, I think.

It used to be a great place, but things change.

Here in Pa, I am relegated to hunting stocked pheasants, squirrels occasionally, and make do with that.
I have by my estimation 10x the deer population at my house than that which exists in the open lands in PA. I had a nice 10 point 10 feet from my back porch this morning.
If you have private land or even better, managed property, then the hunting is great here in PA. Otherwise, not so much. Ohio and Indiana and other states offer much better deer hunting.

More turkeys?

Turkeys are down this year in PA from what I understand. Didn't see any at camp, but they are hit and miss and follow the acorns.
I did have a small flock in my yard about 8 weeks ago just feeding through and saw a large bearded gobbler a couple of weeks ago just down the road.
Turkeys from what I understand are unaffected by West Nile. I believe that they have developed immunity and grouse have not.

Again... come to my neighborhood. I've got a ton of them here. They bumble around and go house to house because at some point, somebody fed them, so now they're like panhandlers. Ducks are becoming problematic as well. I've got a few that hang out on my roof regularly.

Frankly I'm starting to worry that deer and turkey are evolving - they've left the harsh life of the inner woods and moved out to the suburbs for some peace and quiet. I'm waiting for them to show up at a football booster meeting at some point.....

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 pm 
Crown Grade

When I started shooting NSSA skeet in Minnesota in the early 1970’s there were quite a few shoots in the area with added or guaranteed purses. Actually, there were in excess of 10 shoots in Minnesota and the surrounding states which gave us a pretty busy summer with good shooting events to attend. I look at that same area today and no longer see that. In fact I would go as far as saying that if I had started shooting today, I would probably not be shooting skeet.

Michael Schmidt Jr.

http://champshooting.com/