It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a semi auto for my wife what lop would fit her
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 am 
Field Grade

I am looking for a semi auto prefer 12 ga
She's 5 ft 3 in 130 lbs her arm length from her arm pit to the tip of her trigger finger is 23 in
What length of pull would y'all think she would need
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Looking for a semi auto for my wife what lop would fit h
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jody:

It isn't quite as simple as knowing the arm length dimension you provided. The component parts of the arm and hand are not standard lengths; they can vary considerably. And, the full arm length just doesn't give enough information.

You will need to do some basic checking with an actual gun. From her height and weight, I would suggest starting somewhere in the 13-3/4" LOP range, but you will definitely need to verify that before buying a gun for her.

It is unlikely that any off-the-shelf gun will work for her, with the possible exception of a youth model. Most stocks will need to be cut to fit her. If possible, go to your local gun club and find some female shooters that she can talk to and, quite possibly, try their guns for fit.

Good luck.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't forget about cast, pitch, drop, toe, etc.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

Rite now she's been shooting a Stoger 3020 but it is to long for her with it 14 1/4 Lol
I was looking at a a300 outlander for her sense the lop can be adjusted on that gun from 13 in to 14 1/4 in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jodyc wrote:
Rite now she's been shooting a Stoger 3020 but it is to long for her with it 14 1/4 Lol
I was looking at a a300 outlander for her sense the lop can be adjusted on that gun from 13 in to 14 1/4 in

My guess is she will need about 13 3/8" to 13 1/2" LOP. If you remove the recoil pad from the Stoeger she has been shooting and let her try it just for fitting purposes, this should give a good indication of how a shorter LOP will work. Try that and see how it fits. Then measure the LOP with the pad off and you should be pretty close to the correct fit.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Old skeeter and Ulysses gave you some good advice. There is a thread on here somewhere on why guns donor don’t fit women and kids.

In addition to LOP, most women need the pitch adjusted, especially if they are larger breasts. That’s the angle the butt pad makes so that it fits into the shoulder/chest pocket area.

Edit: Found one of the threads I was referring to by the stock fitting guru, Rollin Oswald:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=439131

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 am 
Tournament Grade

on a rough check you want 1-1.5 inches between the trigger hand thumb and her nose. for roughly every 1/4 inch you remove from LOP reduces that thumb to nose gap by 1 inch. that will get you close gauging off of what she shoots now. for example if that is 2 inches to long 13 3/4 is close. also most the "for women" gun like the Syren or Berettas lady guns are 13 7/8 LOP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am 
Field Grade

Turns out her lop was 13 1/2 so let her shoot an sx3 an a300 an affinity she liked the a300 the best
That was good because I can adjust the lop on that gun so I went with the a300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for getting back to us. Enjoy. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.