It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: barrel length question - 2 inches
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Do the two inches really matter when it comes to barrel length? Is there a distinct advantage in purchasing a 28" barrel over a 26"?

Post subject: Re: barrel length question - 2 inches
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:05 am 
Crown Grade

SMLE wrote:
Do the two inches really matter when it comes to barrel length? Is there a distinct advantage in purchasing a 28" barrel over a 26"?

Resale! Otherwise, no.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only thing that matters is how if feels to you. Shorter barrels tend to be a little whippy. I have shot most of my ducks using a 28" 12-gauge shotgun, but earlier in my career, I shot a lot of ducks with a 26" 20-gauge. The 28" feels better to me, but they both did the job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

Slightly longer sight picture, some folks like that. I think 28 is the sweet spot, but that's a personal preferrence.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

SMLE wrote:

Yes, there is an advantage in the 28" over the 26".
There is also some advantage(s) in the 26" over the 28".
Which one you prefer depends on your priorities.

Barrel length, just as in shot size, shell length, decoy choice, boat choice, wader type, and just about every other aspect of duck hunting (and life) is a compromise.

I have four waterfowling guns, two have 26" barrels, two have 28" barrels.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a M1 with a 28" barrel and a SBE with a 26" barrel. They feel almost identical.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

Post subject: barrel length question - 2 inches
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 28” barrel gets you 2” closer to the birds. [WINKING FACE]

I can miss equally well with either one. For me it comes down to which gun I want and can get a better deal on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:06 am 
Presentation Grade

SMLE wrote:
Do the two inches really matter when it comes to barrel length?

My wife tells me that, Yes, it really does make a difference. She went with the longer length.
Seriously, how can I be the first one? ;)

Ok, I've got a 28" SA-08, a 26" Maxus, and a 28" camo Cynergy which is shorter than both those other two. I don't think it makes any difference shooting, but I do notice an advantage in my layout boat with the shorter guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am 
Diamond Grade

I think a 28" barrel has more of advantage in clay shooting or maybe dove hunting where you do a lot of swinging on targets as the longer barrel tends to swing a little smoother. For decoying ducks I doubt it matters. And if I had to deal with a cramped blind, or walking through thick cover, I'd probably rather have the 26".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 am 
Limited Edition

I don't believe there is any meaningful difference. I focus more on how each patterns anyway, which is an ammo issue. Remember that old time skeet shooters (30+ years ago) tended to shorter barrels of 25-26 inches, and now it seems they migrate to barrels nearly trap length. Form is far more important.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am 
Utility Grade

FYI a 26bbl auto is longer than a 28"bbl over and under, due to the auto having a receiver. In think they feel different, and swing different; both are good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

For me, I think that a 26 " is a better choice in a hunting gun for convenience in maneuverability in the field or blind but some guns balance better with the shorter barrel also.