It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SA-20 FTE issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

I got a new SA-20 late summer this. Opened the box, made sure the barrel was clear of obstruction, and took it out to pattern a few types of loads, both steel and lead.

It shot Federal heavy field 1oz, 2.75, 6s (about 10-15 shots). 1165fps
Winchester Drylocks, 3/4oz, 2.75, 4s (2 shots) 1425fps
Kent Fasteel 7/8oz, 3in, 4s (2 shots) 1550fps
That was the initial outing, seemed to pattern just low, but function and ejection was great.

Next outing, lengthen the LOP, pattern is centered, function/ejection great.

Then I finally get to shoot some 5 stand.
Estate high brass 7/8oz, 2.75, 8s. (50 shots) 1200+ fps
Function/ejection great.

Last trip to the range, turns into a single shot with FTEs every time. A stovepipe if I was lucky, but usually the bolt didn’t go rearward enough to even get a stove pipe.
Field & Stream low steel 7/8oz, 2.75, 7.5s, (5 shots) 1200+fps

Ok, it doesn’t like the F&S shells, they were cheap and I also brought a pump, no big deal. Go back to the Estates I shot the weekend before no problem. They also now FTE every shot. Tried to add some rem oil, no improvement.

I take it home and give the gun a full tear down. Make sure to get the rails, bolt, and run pipe cleaner through the gas ports. It really wasn’t that dirty as the gun still has less than 100rds total through it with the pattern testing and couple rounds of 5 stand. I’m hoping it was just dirty and will function again this weekend.

I did see that the manual recommends a 15/16oz round at minimum. I’d prefer it to say 7/8oz as that’s more of the “standard” 20ga load. It has run 3/4, 7/8, and 1oz loads just fine. The FTE occurs whether 1 single load or also load a second shot in the mag tube.

Anybody else has similar issues? If it happens again I’m going to spin a drill bit by hand in the gas ports, since the gun is similar to Beretta inside.

Post subject: Re: SA-20 FTE issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska My hometown, but I'll move later...
Joe,
For my first Sa-20, I’ve had two, I had to take a barrel brush and wrap it with steel wool. I put some oil on that and put it in a drill. I turned it on high speed and ran that through the chamber for a while till I got bored. That did the trick. The second one didn’t have that problem. Try that. Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Tony,

The shells are not stuck in the chamber. There wasn’t enough gas to throw the bolt back. I scraped the carbon out of the 2 gas ports with a spun drill bit by hand. Debris removed, no metal/enlarged port.

It since has run 75rd without skipping a beat, including the brands that previously gave it issue.

Post subject: SA-20 FTE issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

All of these loads now run successfully, both high/low brass/steel case. Not sure I want to try the dreaded Winchester Universals LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 am 
Diamond Grade

JOESPUD27 wrote:
Tony,

The shells are not stuck in the chamber. There wasn’t enough gas to throw the bolt back. I scraped the carbon out of the 2 gas ports with a spun drill bit by hand. Debris removed, no metal/enlarged port.

It since has run 75rd without skipping a beat, including the brands that previously gave it issue.

FWIW, I'm not so sure you can say definitively that is was a lack of gas causing this and not a tight chamber. Mine never had issues, but I've seen several post on here where people polished the chamber like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I will keep that in mind if I have issues with my SA-20 again