It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHOKE TUBES ON HIGH END SXS's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking for opinions on installing choke tubes on high end sxs's like Grulla. Since they do not have their own choke tubes would sending one off to say Briley affect future resale value? I know it's my gun and I should do what I want, but I'm still interested in hurting the value of an expensive shotgun.

Post subject: Re: CHOKE TUBES ON HIGH END SXS's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:26 pm 
Crown Grade

IMO, it would, but then again, you should be able to order one of those choked the way you want it or have them opened up if need be. I think most folks would say it is a plus, however. I'm not one of them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Would you do it on a Purdey or Holland and Holland? I certainly would not

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

That is one of the reasons I ordered my Ugartechea Model 257 with two sets of barrels. While not a high end gun on par with Holland and Holland and such, it's definitely one of the nicest guns I own. I took the barrel with the tighter chokes and sent it off to Briley for a set of Thinwall chokes. Most of my other SXS hunting guns either came with factory screw in chokes or made the trip to Briley for the conversion. I don't own any guns I won't hunt with, and my travels include such a variety of upland game, no one choke setup would be ideal for all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Purists might recoil in horror at the prospect of a sxs being reamed for choke tubes but I recall meeting a man in the UK who had a spectacular between-the-wars Boss game gun fitted with Teague thin-wall chokes.

His response when asked why was, "This is a best gun and I want to shoot it for everything."

It was a hard logic to refute.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well after all, it was “Teague” wasn’t it? And he probably had so much money that he didn’t care.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

K80Mystic wrote:
Looking for opinions on installing choke tubes on high end sxs's like Grulla. Since they do not have their own choke tubes would sending one off to say Briley affect future resale value? I know it's my gun and I should do what I want, but I'm still interested in hurting the value of an expensive shotgun.

My opinions, and worth every penny you paid for them:

1) High end shotguns for which one paid retail are seldom good investments as it is very difficult to break even on resale. Hence, it’s unlikely your high end Spanish shotgun has all that much value to hurt.

2) I’ve never hesitated to have my Spanish shotguns (high or low end) cut for choke tubes. Those guns that required thin wall tubes went to Briley, those that did not to Colonial Arms.

3) Some buyers will refuse to consider a high end Spanish shotgun cut for choke tubes (even when done so at the maker), or only make low ball offers. Other prospective buyers won’t consider a high end Spanish shotgun that isn’t cut for choke tubes, or will pay a premium for such guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Personally, I would not modify a nice vintage shotgun with screw-in chokes.

Have you thought about just having tight fixed chokes opened up?

A lot of people think screw-in chokes will allow them to shoot steel, but they are rolling their dice and taking their chances. Even if a choke tube is rated for steel, the barrel is still not. Unless you use extended chokes with the entire constriction outside the muzzle, odds are good that the choke tube will be pounded into the threads.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Not really a vintage piece. I've decided I'm going to try out the gun for sporting clays events. It's currently IC/Mod. I was just thinking about having some flexability depending on the clays presentation. Am going to use #9's for those close up 2nd shots out of the Mod barrel. I believe that may open up the pattern a bit. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why don’t you do some serious pattern work first. You may find that those fixed chokes are just right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm 
Field Grade

You seem to be trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. Why don't you buy a good used O/U to use for sporting clays? You'll almost certainly have a higher score with an O/U vs a SxS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

My regular SC guns are O/U's. I alternate between either my Perazzi MX2000/3 or my Krieghoff K80 Sporter. My friends and I like to mix it up a bit just for fun plus there are some shoots specifically for SXS's. I really like shooting a SXS. There's something about the feel, balance and sight picture that works for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Just sent my barrels off of my Model 21 into Briley to have screw in chokes installed. My 21 is a shooter and not a showpiece. To me it will be more useful with the chokes installed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

K80Mystic,

Do what makes you happy. I think there are some folks who just love older fixed choke guns (whether they be a SxS and O/U, a pump or a semi-auto). They will always argue against installing choke tubes. Nothing wrong with that BTW, anyone is welcome to their own opinion.

If it can be done well and will not compromise the safety of the gun and it makes it a better tool for you, then no reason not to do it. Understand that in taking this step you may turn off some potential buyers in the event you are ever looking to sell. On the other hand, it may also make the gun more attractive to others.

So there is no wrong answer her, IMHO. Just do what makes you happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

All of my SxS's have fixed chokes and do not believe that I'm at any disadvantage to choke tubes. I won't put tubes in them because they require thin wall tubes and I personally don't believe enough metal remains. I've heard of several incidences and here's a link to the latest:

http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/ ... h-a-klutz/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think it absolutely hurts value.
Almost any modification hurts value,
Even if that modification is an upgrade sometimes. Many of the SXS owners and prospective buyers are purist, they want the shotgun to be as close as to how it was born, as possible.
In most circumstances. Now if you are making adjustments for yourself to enjoy it, I wouldn't put much thought into the next guy. Besides fixed choke guns give you the justification of needing to purchase other fixed choke guns!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own a Purdey Best 20 ga self opener, and I guarantee you that as long as I own it, the gun will remain as it left Audsley Street. I would estimate that boring for choke tubes would reduce its value by 50%. If I cannot hit game with it, then I will will use another gun, but that’s never been a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:12 am 
Limited Edition

Guess that makes me a purist then. I recoil in horror at the thought of fitting choke tubes to a good side by side. If you want all the choke tube nonsense buy an over and under otherwise get a sxs with quarter and half or quarter and imp. mod and shoot everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Bought the Grulla and will not put tubes in. I have used it a bit and I'm happy with it's performance. The bigger issue is the recoil after a 100 rounds. I'm not at all recoil sensitive, but I'm sore after a round. Probably going to start reloading again and build some soft shells.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:35 pm 
Limited Edition

A hundred rounds is quite a lot to fire in a day with a relatively light weight 12 bore sxs game gun. These guns were / are made for carrying a lot and shooting maybe a couple of dozen shots in a day if you're having a good day at driven pheasants. That said I do use my Webley and Scott (6.75lbs) and my Garbi (6.25lbs) for sporting clays sometimes I usually only shoot 50 birds then swap back to my Beretta o/u for the other 50. I find the one ounce loads at 1150fps to be comfortable to shoot and they throw excellent patterns from both my guns.