It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quartering away accelerating bird....i struggle!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm used to shooting at ducks that are coming at me and decelerating. Got my first try at preserve phez and chukar recently and loved it but damn if there aren't plenty of quartering away shots!

So where do you point the gun on these birds? I struggle with this shot both in clays and now apparently birds. Appreciate any insight.

Post subject: Re: Quartering away accelerating bird....i struggle!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would recommend two things, a trip to the patterning board if you haven't done that and maybe consider taking a lesson with someone on the SC range and work on those particular presentations. A qualified second set of eyes can make a big difference in what you put on the plate and what your scores are.
Happy Holiday,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Cut your lead on fast quatering birds. If I miss a quartering bird I cut my lead in 1/2. This is hard for me to do but I work at it for no other reason than to get my shooting buddies to stop laugh at me (my missing). My basic philosophy in life is...if some is good more is better...it doesn't work on quatering birds. Be Blessed. Chip

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Assuming that gun fit is not an issue.

On every quartering bird whether deep or shallow angle the lead is decreasing the farther the bird travels. There are different methods to shoot quartering away birds e.g. swing thru, pull away etc.. While one may work for one person it may not for another.

The perfect place to practice these methods/ quartering shots is a typical skeet field. For left to rights, start on station 1 which is mostly just a going away target and advance around thru stations 2 and maybe 3 for a deep angle. Then for right to lefts start at 7 and go backwards thru 6. Don't advance till you feel comfortable with any one spot.

For real birds try focusing on the head, don't look at the whole bird or try to measure a lead. Whether coming to the bird from behind or inserting the barrel right to the birds head keep the eyes locked on the head. The eyes dictate where the barrel will go and unless your presented with a longish crossing bird you will do best to focus solely on the head. Trust your eyes. Wingshooting is more instinctual than clay shooting as the exact location the bird as it flushes may not be known until it's airborne.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

If you are spot on with a straight away to quartering pheasant you get an explosion of feathers and due to the boney backside the bird keeps on flying. You need a small lead as you would on the trap field.
Just got back from a hunt and the guy who went with me commented that he used to be unable to hit a pheasant but now he seldom misses due to taking some clay lessons from Dan Carlisle.
May wish to check out Dan's Secret of the Triangle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:47 pm 
Limited Edition

thanks I will check out Dan's concept.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am 
Presentation Grade

I used to pass shoot wood ducks on the river a lot when I was young. When I was doing that a lot and switched gears to jump shooting small creeks and ponds I got a lot of quartering away shots that I missed most of the time. I noticed when I got surprised by a duck and I just swung and shot they would always fall. I finally figured out I was pulling the trigger as I pulled through and they would fall. Before I was pulling the trigger when I saw the pass shooting sight picture and was shooting WAY out in front of them.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shoot Trap is my practice for Pheasants. Good Hunting

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lots of good advice here. Post 2, 3, 5 and 6 on skeet will give you lots of good quartering angle practice. Trap will give you plenty of quartering shots.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Slow down for one thing then remember quartering birds require very little on him...I agree that you
could not find a better practice than skeet for upland hunting.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am 
Field Grade

Find a skeet field - High 2and 3 and low 5 and 6

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Quartering Pheasants are accelerating, but quartering Clays are slowing unless thrown downhill. My guess is you are giving them too much lead. I’d suggest trying the “4 B’s” method of swing-through... Butt, Body, Beak, Bang and I’m betting you’ll start smacking them. Happy shooting!