It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Idea Stage for a New Kolar - Thoughts on Blued Receiver
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:45 pm 
Limited Edition

After 3 years of ownership, I absolutely love my standard grade Kolar with factory custom stock! Outside of an occasional SxS event, pump event, or outing with non-shooting friends, my other shotguns sit in a dark (but comfortable) safe yearning to be used.

When I sent my Kolar in for routine service a few months ago, I realized how much the gun had become part of me. So I have decided to get a second Kolar, not on a fast track given the expense, but starting to sketch out what I might order and selling the guns that have not been used in years.

My initial idea for the new Kolar is being inspired by another great American shotgun - the Winchester Model 21 - something a little more than the 1 or 2 engravings but not as ornate as the 4 or 5. What I would want to borrow from this classic gun is balance between engraved and smooth blued surfaces and highlighting existing elements of the receiver (pins, hinges, borders, seams). But I don't want game scenes (dogs, birds, etc.), look good but not my taste. Anyway, this is my idea, but will have to see the what the price tag is.

So my question goes out to any Kolar owners who have a blued receiver. Any issues with it - wear, top lever issues (from another post based but also nickel guns had same issue), etc.

Thanks!

NSCA#633193

Post subject: Re: Idea Stage for a New Kolar - Thoughts on Blued Receiver
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I've only seen one Kolar with a blued receiver. It belongs to one of our club members and the bluing is BADLY worn. The gun was pristine when he got it a couple of years ago and has been shot extensively in the time since. The corner where the bottom and sides of the receiver meet is completely bare. The wear extends across the bottom and half-way up the side of the receiver. The opening lever is also devoid of any bluing. I would NEVER buy a blued Kolar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Vette Jockey wrote:
I've only seen one Kolar with a blued receiver. It belongs to one of our club members and the bluing is BADLY worn.

Thanks. Do you know if his gun was the matte finish or gloss finish? I did speak with Kolar and they don’t recommend the matte finish on the receiver. Only the gloss. If this is the case, back to the drawing board :-).

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:59 pm 
Crown Grade

It's matte finish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks!

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

4140 does not hold bluing well.

Mine is matte, it looked pristine when I bought it used, and within a couple years it didn't look so great, and now about a decade later almost all the bluing on the bottom is gone, just been too lazy/cheap to send it out to be reblued. Also can't decide if I want to have it blued again, or just bite the bullet ($) and have it nickeled.

Gloss bluing has the same issue.

Honestly, I really prefer blued to nickel on the Kolar, but the nickel is exponentially more durable. Bluing looks better for the first year or two before it starts to wear, then it looks much worse than nickel.

I've searched off an on for years for something as durable as nickel, but black, and haven't found anything, not interested in durakoat/cerakote. If I could have one done in the Beretta Greystone finish I'd do it in a heart beat, that is probably one of the best looking and most durable finishes ever put on a firearm, my dad has it on a 682 Gold, and he does not take the best care of his guns, and the finish on that gun 17 or 18 years later looks brand new, only evidence of wear is some of the gold fill in the "engraving" is missing.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Look at the one Paxton has for sale. Nicely done with the gold griffton

http://www.paxtonarms.com/images/Preown/3740.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

rbjammin wrote:
Thanks. Do you know if his gun was the matte finish or gloss finish? I did speak with Kolar and they don’t recommend the matte finish on the receiver. Only the gloss. If this is the case, back to the drawing board :-).

I personally prefer a blued receiver as well. I'm not a high-volume shooter, so the gloss bluing on my Kolar is only thin on the bottom corners of the receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Really appreciate the feedback on the blued receiver. I am on the higher volume side (1,000 -1,500 rounds per month) so this definitely has me reconsidering. I saw several great blued receivers including the one at Paxton (also a 28g on their Instagram and a gold elite that sold on gunsinternational), but they were all new.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:07 am 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
.... Also can't decide if I want to have it blued again, or just bite the bullet ($) and havebut black, and haven't found anything, not interested in durakoat/cerakote.

Forum member Villanueve had his Kolar barrels finished with a cerakote finish by Briley, and they did a really good job. He had some wear and rust starting, so decided to have that finish done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The problem with cerakote is that it doesn't wear off, on a matte finish it wears shiny, basically it gets polished by your hands, so instead of a wear spot you get a shiny spot. Saw exactly that happen on a set of cerakoted kolar barrels, where the shooters thumb went on the barrels a shiny spot developed. To me that's even worse than wear, as the process to re-do cerakote is much more intrusive than rebluing it. Plus in my opinion any sort of spray on coating on a high end o/u would cause a HUGE value hit.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
The problem with cerakote is that it doesn't wear off, on a matte finish it wears shiny, basically it gets polished by your hands, so instead of a wear spot you get a shiny spot.

Plus in my opinion any sort of spray on coating on a high end o/u would cause a HUGE value hit.

Agreed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I sure like mine with the nickel finish. I know it will still look nice years from now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 pm 
Limited Edition

I did call Kolar just to discuss and here is what they told me which kind of shoots down my original idea. Just thought I would share what they told me.

They don't recommend partial coverage but will do it. They believe their receiver is best designed for full coverage. They understand the look I was going for, have done it, but they just aren't as satisfied with the finished product. If you do it, they recommend leaving the top and bottom engraving free (transitions are tough). In the end you pay for custom work somewhere in between the standard prestige and legend designs.

As to the finish. They say the same thing people are saying here - nothing is more durable than their nickel finish and that's why it is so popular. They no longer do Matt blue finish given the issues. For the gloss blue barrels, they will put a clear cerakote finish which significantly increases the durability and doesn't affect the color. They didn't have a picture, but they feel the two best standard engravings for a gloss blue receiver are the new legend and the two higher end gold engravings.

I don't know my path forward at this time, but wanted to share.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 am 
Limited Edition

Despite all the cautions against, they sure are purty! This was a post on Kolar's FacebookImage

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

I ordered a Kolar Max Lite 32" last year, delivered in late July 2017. Standard ramped rib unengraved gun. I think the satin nickel receiver finish is not very attractive, reminds me of a cap pistol I had as a child. I consulted with Dave Johnson, the lead gunsmith on my gun, about a blued finish on the receiver (frame). We decided on a satin finish that involved doing a high polish first, then a soft bead blast at low pressure to emulate a rust blue. It turned out great and has shown no wear through about 4,000 rounds since. Barrels same.

I am very easy on a shotgun. I don't have much acidity in what little sweat I produce and I handle my guns carefully. I am very happy with my blued Kolar, would do it again. Dave Johnson was wonderful to work with, great guy, very talented.

Now, having said all that, I would highly recommend you go with the pickled grey receiver finish for an engraved gun. Very classy looking and shows up the engraving much better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I got my new Kolar two years ago I went to the factory to pick out my wood and have it fitted to me. I wanted some engraving done, but did not want what they had pictured as their offering.
I described sort of what I wanted and Jeff Mainland (Kolar President) said they just came out with this new offering and mine would be one of the first guns they put it on.
It's just about right for what I was looking for, just enough to be different from their regular receiver and just enough that fellow shooters compliment me on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 am 
Limited Edition

Nice engraving jbmich

NSCA#633193