It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pistol shooting and effects on clay shooting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Just getting into pistol shooting.

Everything I read, and from what little I have shot, is to keep your focus on the front site.

When clay shooting, I am a look at the bird, ignore your gun/bead.

Anyone have any bad results or habits going from pistol shooting back to shooting a shotgun.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

Post subject: Re: Pistol shooting and affects on clay shooting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think for target pistol shooting sight alignment is important. That being said when I took a course in defencive pistol work the instincts of shotgunning kicked in. I found myself focusing on the target and letting my body put the bullets where I was looking. The trick as I see it is to shift gears mentally from one discipline to the other. I do that by shooting air rifles at swinging targets and shifting to a shotgunning mind set when needed. Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Pistol shooting and effects on clay shooting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 pm 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:

Everything I read, and from what little I have shot, is to keep your focus on the front site.

Anyone have any bad results or habits going from pistol shooting back to shooting a shotgun.

At moving targets, I shoot a handgun exactly the same as a shotgun. My focus never leaves the target.

Ed McGivern was one of the most famous pistol shots of all time, including aerial targets using a sixgun in each hand. Tell me how you can focus on the front sight in that case.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 pm 
Limited Edition

I pistol/rifle shot for year before trying out clays. The issue I had when I got really into clays and shooting that more than pistol/rifle is when going back to silhouette and PPC shooting I really had to concentrate on my finger on the trigger to get a good break. When shooting shotgun I don't at all.
Switching from front sight focus to target focus wasn't really an issue for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I have gotten interested in carbine and pistol after a 40 year layoff. Have taken several "combat" pistol courses lately....not as Rambo as it sounds OK? Really commonsense type stuff.

Anyway, I come in waaaayyy behind the rest of this group, they have been shooting/training for a couple of years. I was told don't worry about it, just do the best you can. I finished 3rd. My speed was good and accuracy was good enough. I never looked at the front site EXCEPT during the slow paced accuracy drills.

Speed drills, I just focused on the target and when the pistol come into the picture, squeeze....never even noticed the sights. This is combat pistol....not bullseye target shooting...there you had better be front sight focused. Did I have the tightest groups, nope...but in the ring it counts.

NOW....I had done a lot of dry drawing and grip practice at home. That 1911 is "fitted" to my hand and it has a great trigger for an "old school" pistol. What I found to be much more helpful was trigger control and there is a lot more to that than just squeeze.

I don't think pistol shooting hurts my shotgunning, but I KNOW shotgunning helps my helps my pistol shooting. Like shooting multiple targets...I go eyes first. Shift the eyes to the second target, the hands will follow, just wait for the pistol to come on target BANG. ALL my second target first shots were there in the target....lotta guys dropped that shot. That is just doubles with a hand gun...easy...the target was sitting still!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot shotgun. pistols and rifle and have no problem going from one to the other and often shoot both in the same day. Change your brain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I was wondering the same thing. My brother is a huge 3-gun competitor and i want to join in with him. I was always afraid it would effect my shotgun. Not that it mattered this year!! :oops:
but that's another story...... :lol: :lol:
i think i will jump in this year and shoot some 3-gun with him. The sponsor thinks that is a good thing, as he gets to spend some time with his other sponsored shooter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
keep shooting, whatever it is!!!

K80

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:

I am doing the same thing as you. Being nearsighted, and focusing on the sight I get worse groups than if I wear my glasses and focus on the target. Will I be a champion pistol shooter?Not ever.
Will I be able to hit the bad guy at reasonable distances? Yep

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Just been out a couple times.

Planning on getting my CCW permit, and working on getting ready for that test. Shooting between 1-7 yards, I can at least get 21 out of 30 on target to qualify by just looking at the target.

So far if I want to get consistently in the bull's-eye at 15 yards and out, i need to wink off my left eye and focus more on the sight.

Will play around and see what works. I have noticed that focusing on the target and just making sure gun lines up with my dominant eye gets more comfortable the more I do it.

I guess pistol shooting is a lot like shotguns, gotta found out what works for me.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes standing square on to the target, which hardly moves, making your self into a static shape like a tripod, controlling your breathing and trigger pull to be gentle, not disturbing the site picture while looking at the gun, anticipating then controlling recoil with your arms not your whole body, firing more than 2 shots yes I can see the similarities :D :D

Seriously there are differences and you will have to remember them all as you switch from one to the other. Students who come from either pistol or rifle backgrounds find making the changes difficult

Trigger pull is the hardest to change for most IMO

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

Roger Gascoigne wrote:
Yes standing square on to the target, which hardly moves, making your self into a static shape like a tripod, controlling your breathing and trigger pull to be gentle, not disturbing the site picture while looking at the gun, anticipating then controlling recoil with your arms not your whole body, firing more than 2 shots yes I can see the similarities :D :D

Seriously there are differences and you will have to remember them all as you switch from one to the other. Students who come from either pistol or rifle backgrounds find making the changes difficult

Trigger pull is the hardest to change for most IMO

Roger

You are correct! When I started shotgun, that rule one thing, Look at the Target just killed me...but now it is hard to look at the pistol sights. Carbine with a red dot, eyes back on the target and just wait on the dot to come on target....sounds crazy but works for me!

Every deer season, I have top drag a good 22 and relearn squeeze or I'll slap that trigger every time!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

I agree with Roger and Mismost on trigger pull.

I find that a CrimsonTrace on my tactical hand gun works well.

Any switching from gun to gun is going to require some relearning--even it it from one shotgun to another.

I have a little problem wrapping my head around the idea that some shooters who are holding a pistol want to shoot it as if it were a shotgun---until I find myself doing the same thing. LOL

B-R-S-I.COM
VA NSCA Delegate
NSCA Level 2, Instructor
NRA Level 2, Shotgun Coach
CSM/TRACS Instructor

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pistol shooting can actually help you shoot better with a shotgun. I'm right handed and right eye dominant; been shooting shotguns, rifles & pistols for many decades. Years ago I worked on learning to shoot ambidextrously and found that shooting a pistol with my left hand after a while caused my wing shooting to improve. I suppose that it helped sharpen the connection between my visual focus and moving my leading (left) hand to the target. Whatever the reason, I got better with both. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not much of a rifle guy, but a pretty good shot. Always been better with a handgun and when I started IDPA did very well from the get go. Got serious with sporting clays and 5 stand this past spring and it frustrates the hell out me I'm no better than when I started. Oh well, good thing I have fun doing it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 pm 
Field Grade

What a hoot. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I found that if I shot a rifle or pistol at stationary targets before I shot a round of sporting my sporting score was always lower. If I shot shotguns first my sporting score was always much better.
I think it is a combination of looking at the front sight and trying to hold a pistol or rifle very still before pulling the trigger just the opposite of the correct way to shoot a shotgun.
I admire shooters who can shoot all three well. I bet they have all learned to look at the target, take the shot and pull the trigger.
Good luck

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:58 pm 
Utility Grade

It really depends on the type of pistol shooting you're talking about. If you take the extreme accuracy disciplines like bullseye or air pistol where a 5" group at 50 yards, or eraser head at 10M is the objective the answer is yes shotgunning will affect your skills. You can mash a trigger with a shotgun and be fine, and as everyone has said front sight vs barrel is a challenging transition. If you're talking about IDPA, USPSA or 3-Gun, or defensive pistol, not so much. In those games you can look through the sights at the target much more like a shotgun and be fine. When I was shooting competitive bullseye I would have to put my shotgun up for a month to get my trigger finger and sight picture back.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:52 am 
Crown Grade

Lots of advice here, but it all boils down to this - the fundamentals for shotgun shooting, pistol shooting, and rifle shooting are totally different. As such, you just have to forget the other disciplines and concentrate and practice only the fundamentals for the shooting you are doing at the time.

And it's NOT hard - it just takes practice!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:13 am 
Field Grade

Jeff Cooper was correct: focus hard on that front sight! Read everything you can by him on the subject of pistol shooting.

Handguns are great fun and I’ve made some very good / lucky shots with them. (Ground squirrel with a tiny Ruger Bearcat offhand at 30 yards just last summer! And my eyes aren’t what they used to be by a long way.) But handguns are no substitute for a shotgun or rifle if the SHTF. A CCW pistol is just an insurance policy, definitely not what you’d grab if you knew in advance that you’d be getting in a fight.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

No problem, just don't forget what you're shooting! Right now, I'm in a Monday night bullseye league and I try to shoot skeet, trap, or sporting every other week. Since I've got a wife, and young kids, time can be at a premium, so I have gone out to shoot sporting and skeet in the morning, only to stop by the indoor range to get in a little bullseye practice (2-3 NMCs), before heading home. I'm probably a little better at NRA bullseye (averaging around 93%) than I am at skeet or trap (about 90%-92% in both).

I know some folks shoot shotgun events with a release trigger. I don't think I could ever swap back and forth between a pull and a release trigger.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:52 pm 
Crown Grade

If you focus hard on that front sight in a gun fight...how are you going to know when to quit or keep shooting? Or when to switch to a different target?

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell