It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement fore-end for a B125
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 am 
Field Grade

I have a 1985 vintage Browning B125 sporter, the model that was made by Miroku but sent to FN for stocking, engraving and finishing. Mine was engraved by JP Bailly and stocked with a very nice piece of wood. My favorite shotgun.

Anyhow, the gun was stolen in April 2017 in a burglary but subsequently recovered by the police buried in someone's back garden. It subsequently spent 5 months in a ballistics lab before it was released to me and it was in shocking condition - rib dented, buttstock dinged and scratched. The worst was the forend, it was cracked, chipped and a big piece missing adjacent to the barrels. The gunsmith says it should be replaced. The buttstock can be salvaged.

Here's my query. Seeing as the B125 was a Japanese replacement for the B25, will the fore-end from a clamp type B25 interchange with that of a B125? I see Numrich do list B125 replacements but none in stock right now.

I am based in South Africa.

Post subject: Re: Replacement fore-end for a B125
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:27 am 
Field Grade

This has been a bit of an ongoing saga. We have tried various clamp type B25 foreends but while they fit the B125 metal, the alignment with the barrels is not right.

After that we gave up on that idea, and he said he would attempt a repair

Then I made a visit to the smith just to check on his progress and we got to talking about B25’s in general, and he hauled out a 1971 B2 with a screw type forend he was restoring.

I idly tried the bottom metal from the B25 in the broken B125 forend and it was a perfect fit!!!! Except for a small gap which means we can take an old B25 wood and with some minor relieving we can use it for my shotgun.

Obviously there was a dimension change at FN When they changed over from the screw type forend to the clamp type. This happened in the early 70’s.

What is even more puzzling is why would Miroku revert to the OLD pre 1970’s bottom metal dimensions when they made the B125 in 1985? Knowing that they would not supply the forend anyway.. i am wondering if FN in Belgium supplied them with “old” drawings

There’s more here that meets the eye.