It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting in Argentina
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Who has been to Argentina recently. I am looking for advice. My best friend is going through treatment for a serious illness. We have talked about going to Argentina for years. When he gets all healed up we are going! I want to make it a trip of a lifetime, but we are not wealthy. We want the budget to be manageable. Can we do it for $7500.00 each? Looking for advice from shooters that have been there in the last couple of years. How would you do it the next trip?

Post subject: Re: Hunting in Argentina
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been and will definitely be going back!!!

I went 3 years ago.

Yes, you can both go shoot all the doves you want for less than $7,500 apiece!

I wouldn't change a thing! I would do it the second time, same as the first. Take your favorite gas operated gun in an SKB gun case, and shoot their ammo. It's not worth the extra hassle to try and take just a couple of boxes of ammo with you.

None of us smoke or drink or cuss, and because of that, we actually got treated better than the other guys did. We were very polite and respectful of the people and their culture, and that respect was returned to us in many favors.

When your friend gets better, you guys go shoot some doves and have fun. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Which lodge/guide did you use? What time of the year? Any other details will be helpful.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was at the Sierra Verde lodge in Cordoba in August. I took nothing other than a couple of changes of clothes with me. I also took a few pairs of practically new jeans that I left down there for the people. Most of them have very little. None of the eight of us that went took guns. I believe the gun rental was $50 per day. I shot (20 gauge) Beretta Silver Pigeons and Benelli Montefeltros. Without much effort I shot 500 shells in the mornings and 750 in the afternoons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you Snipe Hunter!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

We went in August to Estancia Los Chanares.

Gun rental is $50 a day and ammo is $13 a box. Bird boys averge $40 a day.

During these long summer days, you can easily shoot from 1,000 to 3,000+ shells a day IF your arm can handle it, as well as your wallet.

Probably the most fun you can ever have shooting doves!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went a few years ago. My outfitter was H&H outfitters through Trek Safaris in Miami. Everything wad first class. Sounds like prices have gone up a little. When I was there ammo was $11/box and my trip was a little over $5000. I shot 2000 rounds per day a couple of days. The rental Montefeltro was dead reliable and impressed me so much that I bought one when I got home.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

I went with 9 friends in 2006 one of the most fun things I've ever done 10 of us shot 33000 birds in 3 days my ammo bill 2K we didn't bring guns just rented the benelli 20ga autos at the lodge I highly recommend it at that time with ammo all in cost me about 6K.

Here is the lodge we stayed at https://www.cordobadovehunting.com/arge ... nting.html

Our group were very experienced hunters our kill rate was 70% which was far above the average.

Win 21 20 28" VR WS1/WS2
Win 101 20/28/410
Win 12 SK 12/20/28/42 .410
Win 23 20 NIB
Rem 1100 SD 12/20/28/410 /58 TD
Guerini Maxum 20/28/410

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank all of you so much for the information. I am really looking forward to the trip. My friend was declared cancer free two days ago!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You will enjoy your trip thoroughly!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade

Darkhorse60 wrote:
My friend was declared cancer free two days ago!

Praise God!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Darkhorse60 I sent you a PM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I know I’m joining the conversation a little late but in addition to agreeing with the comments others have made, particularly those celebrating the fact that your friend is cancer free, I have one more suggestion to consider. If you have the opportunity to shoot pigeons over decoys, I would encourage you to take advantage of it. Pigeon shooting is a blast and can give you a break from a couple of days of high volume dove shooting, although doves are everywhere and you can still shoot hundreds on a pigeon shoot if you want to. Our group harvested 3,660 pigeons in one day of shooting in a feed lot and some of the guys shot as many as 750 doves on the side. A day of pigeon shooting can also take some of the pressure off your shell bill. Have a wonderful time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you Old Bird Hunter. I will keep that in mind. Right now we are planning a trip for Feb. 2019. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 pm 
Field Grade

Do you bring back the birds or leave them be? So it's recommended that you rent their guns and leave yours at home correct?

JC

Jeremiah 29:11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Leave the birds. They are collected for hog food

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I would definitely rent their guns and avoid taking anything of significant value, especially consumer electronics, in checked baggage. They have a problem with theft so carrying on phones, laptops, electronic hearing protection, etc. is recommended. I believe others may have helpful comments on this as well. And, as pointed out above, you don’t need to take too many clothes since most estancias do your laundry every day (just verify that yours will). There are other SGW threads on hunting in Argentina that cover other aspects of the experience that you might be interested in.....like being sure to wear shooting gloves with duct tape on your loading thumb knuckle, and a whole lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oldbirdhntr wrote:
I have one more suggestion to consider. If you have the opportunity to shoot pigeons over decoys, I would encourage you to take advantage of it. Pigeon shooting is a blast and can give you a break from a couple of days of high volume dove shooting,

the pigeons over decoys sounds to me, for what I like, to be more interesting than the dove shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:26 pm 
Field Grade

Darkhorse60:
Great news about your friend.

I have been to Argentina many times, as well as Uruguay once. In fact, I'll be going again in June with a group sponsored by Shooting Sportsman Magazine.

You can put together a great trip for under $7500, including airfare. The cheaper hunts are for dove only, and the more expensive ones will offer a mixed bag of duck, perdiz, dove and pigeon. You can also specialize for just pigeon, depending on the outfitter.

I believe the best value for the dollar is found in either Santa Fe or Entre Rios provinces for a mixed bag hunt where a guy can shoot ducks in the AM, perdiz after lunch and then dove in the late afternoon.

Ease of travel is an issue. Some venues take 25 / 30 hours to get to. Entre Rios can be done in under 20 hours from the US, which includes a 3 hour drive from Buenos Aires to the lodge.

Getting guns into Argentina is a hassle these days, especially at the Buenos Aires airport. Renting guns is the easy way to go. Uruguay is very easy and very gun friendly to international hunters.

There are many options, and many outfitter choices. And it's a lot of fun to work through them.

I am not an agent and I have NO association(s) with any outfitter. I just a guy who has fallen in love with bird shooting in Argentina and go every year. PM me if you like and we can talk. I'd be glad to help you work through the process.

In any event.......GO!! You'll have a wonderful time.

Best to you, Sir.

R10D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

R10D
Thanks for the info. I will certainly get in touch with you when we get closer to the date. First hand current info. Before booking will be a godsend.