It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a safe wanted
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm 
Field Grade

Liberty fatboy jr. is a great deal IMO. That was my choice for a budget safe. I think you can find them for 1250. More than your budget but the extra $$$ would be worth it. I think it has a 45 min rating.

On the other hand, if you ever decide to go real crazy you could take out a second mortgage and buy a Graffunder. I think they make some that are as heavy as an F-150. Ain’t nobody getting through one of those.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Are dial combination safes more secure than keypads? I’ve seen videos of methods of circumventing keypads in seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 am 
Field Grade

Dial vs keypads...irrelevant. Burglars don't break in to a gun safe through the door. They will peel a side off using vise grips, cold chisels and sledge hammers. Get the best quality steel you feel that you can reasonably afford. Keep in mind that the corner welds are the weakest points.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am 
Utility Grade

First, highly recommend buying a used non-gun safe of various kinds on CL. There are old bank-vault type safes that provide more theft protection at a cheaper price than any gun safe you are probably looking at.

Second - personally, I think fire protection is overrated. Honestly, how worried are you about a fire at your house? How likely do you think that is? If you're thinking about documents, just get a small chest type fire rated "safe" and put your docs in that, and then put that in your gun safe.

If you're buying a gun safe like for example Barska https://secretstorages.com/best-gun-safe-under-1000/, I would not get less than 10ga steel, and preferably not less than 8ga steel. Don't waste your time with huge safes that cost $800 and weigh 500 lbs. My a$$ has more steel in it than those things. I wouldn't buy a gun safe sized safe that weighs less than 1000 lbs, 900 absolute minimum, unless you're getting it for under $200 and just want to keep your kids out.

Curbside delivery is just like what it sounds. You and your buddies or a company you hire need to take it from there.

A safe is definitely worth it. It is really amazing to me will think nothing about spending $10,000 or more on guns and then balk at spending $2000 on a safe worth having.