It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammer Springs WInchester SX1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hello,

I took disassembled and cleaned the trigger assembly on my early WInchester SX1 with dual hammer springs. I'm having a devil of a time getting the hammer assembly reinstalled. Any tricks to compressing these two springs, special tools needed?

Thanks, Dan

Post subject: Re: Hammer Springs WInchester SX1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most that I know with those guns replace those two springs with a Wright’s single spring. I did and it improved the trigger. If you don’t want to go in that direction, just hold your mouth right and work on it, and don’t let them go flying across the room, because you will never find them.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am 
Limited Edition

I made a simple tool to for compressing the spring while the entire trigger guard assembly is in a padded vice.

It's a 10" long section of 3/8" wooden dowel. You can compress any spring or even the dual hammer springs on the assembly with this tool.

Cut a notch in one end of the dowel that will fit the end of the spring guide that goes up into the coil spring so it won't slip off the end of the dowel while you are compressing and guiding the springs back into their "V" notch in the trigger where it fits.

While you begin to compress the spring(s) with this tool, be sure the spring guides slide together as they were designed to.

As you begin to learn how to use the tool, the more you use it in this manner, the easier it gets since you'll learn all the right moves to make to get the job done.

I like the wooden dowel best because if it slips out of position, you don't end up marring or scratching metal finishes as you would if you used a screwdriver or other steel tool.

I think you could substitute a 3/8" section of brass rod that is notched on one end and accomplish the same thing....maybe even better than the wooden dowel.

BTW, I've not really found fault with the original dual spring set up. Pretty reliable in my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:26 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably order the single spring from Wright's, in the meantime, I'll try the wooden dowel method. I've tried something similar to the wooden dowel method, but all I get is a couple of springs launched around the basement - and they are not easy to find!

Thanks again. Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Dan,

Be aware that using the Wrights hammer spring will increase the pull about 1/2lb.
I use a standard stage III single spring from Nu-Line Guns that works perfectly.

CT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"I use a standard stage III single spring from Nu-Line Guns that works perfectly."

What he said

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I know I'm late to reply but for anyone else struggling with this, I have just purchased an older SX1 with the twin hammer springs.

I used a spring hook and a small flathead screwdriver to reseat mine.

You should see on the wedge shaped rod there is a small hole in the end of the wedge. Slide the springs onto the hammer spring guide rod, place the wedge shaped rod on the end and place the spring hook into the hole in the wedge. Once you use this to compress them, you should be able to hold the tension quite easily and push the compressed spring and wedge into its spot in the trigger assembly.

Once you let the tension off the spring, you should have the hammer spring and wedge in place with your spring hook trapped in there. Now all you need to do is take the tension of the spring with the spring hook and hold your screwdriver in so you can hold back the spring. This will give you some space to unhook your spring hook. Once thats out of the way, just slide the screwdriver out and the spring and wedge will locate into their spot.

As Casonet said, bits can go flying. Use a rag or something as a back stop to prevent them pinging off across the shed or into the abyss behind the workbench.

I stuffed around for ages with mine before i found the hole in the end of the wedge to get the spring hook in. After that, it located into its place on the first try.