It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg Shockwave goes deer hunting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:27 am 
Field Grade

Hi there!

As my first-gun-ever was a shotgun and it's what I used to get my first big game animal, I've always had a fascination with shotguns. So much so that every hunting season for the past several years I've had a alot of fun making a shotgun deer hunting video for my YouTube channel. For my project this year I decided to use my Mossberg Shockwave to compare the effectiveness of "managed" recoil 00 buckshot with that of regular 00.

Well I finally had some time over the xmas/new years break to cut together my 2017 hunting video...hope you enjoy watching it half as much as I did making it!

https://youtu.be/z7shQkL8FO4

And here's a short clip of some of my practice regime to get ready with my somewhat unconventional choice of toy this year:

https://youtu.be/7lj4pzdigi8

Thanks for watching,

Brobee

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Shockwave goes deer hunting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 am 
Field Grade

Nice video and excellent production values. Appreciate your effort.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fantastic video!

Exactly how far were you on that first shot? I realize that the camera makes things appear much farther away than they actually are but that first deer looked to be at least 50 yards away.

As a side note, there is another video of a really good skeet shooter busting clays with a shockwave. I will see if I can find it and edit a link into this post.

Obviously the lack of a butt stock is not that much of a handicap to a master hunter like Brobee, or a really good skeet shooter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 pm 
Field Grade

Really enjoyed watching your video!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Exellent video presentation.

I wonder, however, why you chose Remington low recoil 8 pellet 00B rather than The equivalent Federal Flite-Control 8 pellet 00B load? I suspect the Flite-Control 00B round would have provided a tighter pattern with a little more range flexibility.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Great video and discussion.

However; was this in a slug legal area? Or rifle legal area?

I personally like to harvest a noble animal like a deer as humanely as possible. Preferably with a centerfire rifle cartridge of at least 6.5mm or 7mm-08; and usually with a .270 or .30-06.

If it’s a shotgun only area I’m shooting the best sabot slugs I can get.

Also having a stock on a gun makes for a much more accurate shot.

I’m sorry but I don’t see the need for this in big game hunting; although I respect your legal right to do same.

The only time I would ever consider shooting a deer with buckshot would be if I was on one of those eastern VA or NC hunts shooting over dogs. And that’s really not my preferred way to hunt deer regardless.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Great video and discussion.

However; was this in a slug legal area? Or rifle legal area?

I personally like to harvest a noble animal like a deer as humanely as possible. Preferably with a centerfire rifle cartridge of at least 6.5mm or 7mm-08; and usually with a .270 or .30-06.

If it’s a shotgun only area I’m shooting the best sabot slugs I can get.

Also having a stock on a gun makes for a much more accurate shot.

I’m sorry but I don’t see the need for this in big game hunting; although I respect your legal right to do same.

The only time I would ever consider shooting a deer with buckshot would be if I was on one of those eastern VA or NC hunts shooting over dogs. And that’s really not my preferred way to hunt deer regardless.

In this case the OP undertook the challenge of his chosen firearm.

The buckshot loaded smoothbore remains a very viable and humane tool for taking deer size game within its pattern tested range. Indeed, due to the increased danger range of sabot slugs, there are areas of the country that prohibit such slugs in favor of the limited danger range of buckshot - such as parts of Wyoming:

https://www.sheridanmedia.com/news/clin ... kshot65101

Last edited by RMc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buckshot does a fine job on deer provided you can close enough.
The problem is that you often can't.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ezra Smack wrote:
Buckshot does a fine job on deer provided you can close enough.

True enough, however one can fill in the blank with many firearm choices. It is a matter of working within equipment limitations - range or otherwise.

There are many popular firearms choices that one can use to fill in the blank:
_____________________ does a fine job on deer provided you can (get) close enough.

Nonetheless with the best of conventional small pellet buckshot* loads, factory or handload, shotguns can maintain effective patterns quite a bit futher than most realize.
*Such as 000B & 00B.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioRJOALan4

You might want to skip ahead two and a half minutes and watch what a really good skeet shooter can do with one of these. Just like what a really good hunter can do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ezra Smack wrote:
watch what a really good skeet shooter can do

That’s a neat party trick, but it most definitely ain’t skeet shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drsfmd wrote:
Ezra Smack wrote:
watch what a really good skeet shooter can do

That’s a neat party trick, but it most definitely ain’t skeet shooting.

True, the clays were all launched in the same direction away from the shooter but it was still good shooting especially with a gun designed for close quarter combat where the targets are much larger and never fly.

These firearms are a slightly longer non NFA version of the old Witness Protection shotgun used by the Federal Marshals back in the 1980's. The originals had a 12.5" barrel and held 1 less shot. About 240 were made. Here is a link to the history for anyone interested:

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/ ... ction-870/

I don't know about you but I would rather have another inch and a half of barrel if it means room for one more shot in the magazine. I just ordered a +1 for my Remington.
That brings it up tp 6+1 just like the Mossberg. Why did Remington not make it a six shooter right from the factory? Rumor is that it was because a few states limit shotguns to five round capacity.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Brobee that is a nice video. I watched it before even seeing this thread. I wasn't sure (and still am not) of the ranges you shot your deer. But kudos to you. Very good hunting and shooting. And Ezra that video you provided a link to just made me smile in amazment ! I was getting kind of miffed at your attitude towards the shockwave (since I just ordered one after winning my pick of guns from a ducks unlimited banquet lol) but I am truly glad to see your turnaround. The shockwave will be my only shotgun since getting all my guns stolen last year. But back to the subject. I have shot a few deer with slugs when I lived in a shotgun only deer hunting area. So I know that they are very competent. I have not seen any videos of people taking deer with buckshot before but you confirmed my guess that they would do a good job. Your self imposed limitations by using the shockwave speak volumes about your skills as a hunter Imho.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nodakjohns wrote:
And Ezra... I was getting kind of miffed at your attitude towards the shockwave (since I just ordered one after winning my pick of guns from a ducks unlimited banquet lol) but I am truly glad to see your turnaround.

I have not budged one inch on my negative opinion of PGO shotguns. But these are NOT PGO shotguns but something better. The birds head grip makes all the difference and I am totally on board with them.

The bottom line is that a stocked shotgun is still better in all ways except for two:

1. The ability to manuver in extremly close quarters such as inside your vehicle. No way could you quickly go from shooting a target outside the drivers window to one outside the passenger window with a conventional shotgun.

2. The ability to pack it away in a suitcase or other inconspicuous container. This is of conciderable importance because it can make all the difference between you actually having it with you or not.

My tac 14 has become a truck gun and a constant companion but before owning it I practically NEVER carried a shotgun anywhere outside of my home. With a little creativity you can easily find a way to discreetly "smuggle" it into your office, a motel room or have it when out hiking or camping. Sure, a traditional 18" to 20" gun would be better but if you left it at home it might as well be on the moon when you really need it.