It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An observation about gear. Sometimes too much is too much.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Folks,
We are American men for the most part in this forum....and we tend to go after the biggest, and the best in gear. We need to learn (and take to heart!) that the biggest is not always the best.....

All too often in lessons I see folks trying to shoot guns that are too big and or heavy for them, and shooters trying to shoot ammo that is too heavy for them. Guys, take an honest evaluation of your gear..... more is not always better. 9+ lbs 32" O/U's aren't for everyone....and neither are 32 gram/1300 fps.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest....carry on!

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

Post subject: Re: An observation about gear. Sometimes too much is too muc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will Fennell wrote:
Folks,
We are American men for the most part in this forum....and we tend to go after the biggest, and the best in gear. We need to learn (and take to heart!) that the biggest is not always the best.....

All too often in lessons I see folks trying to shoot guns that are too big and or heavy for them, and shooters trying to shoot ammo that is too heavy for them. Guys, take an honest evaluation of your gear..... more is not always better. 9+ lbs 32" O/U's aren't for everyone....and neither are 32 gram/1300 fps.

Best,

Will

Agree 100%, but too many people have the attitude that if that's what the pros use, then it must be the best for me too. I've argued your very point on numerous occasions on this board, but I'm usually outnumbered at least 10 to 1 by the guys who want to look like and shoot like the Big Boys.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 pm 
Crown Grade

I wonder if it would make any difference when someone says "That's what so-and-so uses and he's a pro" if we were to say, "yeah? But what was he using when he was at your skill level?"

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

But what if I shoot a 9# gun and 28gm 1250 loads?

:mrgreen:

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:
I wonder if it would make any difference when someone says "That's what so-and-so uses and he's a pro" if we were to say, "yeah? But what was he using when he was at your skill level?"

Unfortunately, the logic of which gun is best suited for the buyer's shooting success doesn't seem to enter the equation. Instead, the logic they use is based on these questions: "Which gun will look most like what the pros use?" "Which gun will be the most impressive looking to other shooters?" and "Which gun will have the best resale value if I decide to sell it?"

As for the ammo selection, many people use the "bigger is better" logic in selecting what to shoot. They don't seem to consider that shooting those "Rhino Rollers" will take a toll on them after awhile and they'll soon be jerking the gun and flinching in anticipation of the recoil. Over the long haul, a light to moderate load works best for most people. A heavy load does little good if the shooter can't put the pattern on the target.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 am 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Will Fennell wrote:
Folks,

Best,

Will

Agree 100%, but too many people have the attitude that if that's what the pros use, then it must be the best for me too. I've argued your very point on numerous occasions on this board, but I'm usually outnumbered at least 10 to 1 by the guys who want to look like and shoot like the Big Boys.

Just wondering why some of the pros use such heavy payloads.....McGuire and Cherry both use Clever 1 -1/8 1,300+ fps shells. They all shoot FITASC so they know and understand the recoil vs target breaking ability of 1 oz vs 1-1/8. I would like to "interview" these guys using these loads and understand what their thoughts are.... Obviously it is what they have confidence in.

Perhaps Will can shed some light as he has known these guys for years?

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am 
Field Grade

I've heard that McGuires's gun is very heavy.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think human nature dictates that most shooters will continue to shoot whatever they last won with, gun or ammo -- UNTIL a sponsor comes along and incentivizes otherwise :D

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot SC, Skeet and trap and have gone to a minimalist approach for any shooting:

one gun, same set up
4 chokes sk,lm,IM, full
7.5 shot, 1 oz, 1250 fps loads.
4 lens colors

Am I giving up something by keeping it too simple?

Maybe, but I like the KISS method, and I am not losing any sleep over my decision.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gunsmokesupply wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
[quote="Will Fennell"

Just wondering why some of the pros use such heavy payloads.....McGuire and Cherry both use Clever 1 -1/8 1,300+ fps shells. They all shoot FITASC so they know and understand the recoil vs target breaking ability of 1 oz vs 1-1/8. I would like to "interview" these guys using these loads and understand what their thoughts are.... Obviously it is what they have confidence in.

Perhaps Will can shed some light as he has known these guys for years?

Dave

I’d love to hear Will comment on this!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

34" barrels work better for me!
Like 1 oz shells around 1250
never weighted my gun
stock has got so much cast off guys make fun of me, ask if I shoot with my left eye ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I’m with you Will. I have a 5’2” 130 pound kid on my youth team that will use nothing but AA Super Sport loads. 1300fps 1 1/8oz. We rarely encounter a target over 35yd and most targets show a lot of belly or dome. He’s getting jacked every time he pulls the trigger and is late getting back to the second bird. But I can’t convince his dad or him to use anything different. They won’t change because those shells are THE best. When he first started, he would listen, and his scores were higher shooting 1oz at 1200fps.
As for what the pros use, I could care less what the pros use when it comes to guns, shells, chokes, glasses, towels, underwear or anything else for that matter. They ain’t me, and I ain’t them. What works for me, may not work for them. I shoot what fits me, what I shoot best, what is comfortable, and what works. Even if I knew 1300fps shells would help, I still could not shoot them for a full round. Very likely not a quarter of that.
There is no doubt that the right practice and the right type of equipment will help a shooter improve but I think one thing gets overlooked, frequently.
It’s called God given talent. The elite in every sport have it. You all know the kid that just picked up a shotgun last year and is shooting 98s, 99s while others his age that have been shooting for years can’t break 80. He has that. I was pretty good at baseball 30 years ago, but I doubt Babe Ruth’s bat would have made me hit like he did. But I’ll bet Cherry or McGuire would be a pretty fair shot with just about any gun you put in their hand.