It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clay target thrower for single person use at home
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 pm 
Field Grade

painter* wrote:
A 12V battery is always a 12V battery. Your diesel pickup is still most likely a 12V system. The larger batteries, and deep cycle marine, will last longer between charges. A deep cycle battery is not harmed by going dead.

I have no experience what so ever with a deep cycle or marine deep cycle battery, so they can sit and go totally dead and will still charge up and work like new? I guess that’s the route I should go then? Whatever one I get whether it be battery or foot pedal manual I’ll likely use it 3-4 times a year and sling prolly 200-300 pigeons a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobWalters wrote:
I’ll likely use it 3-4 times a year and sling prolly 200-300 pigeons a year.

Humm bet that goes WAY up :lol: After you get to using it :wink:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

BobWalters wrote:
painter* wrote:
A 12V battery is always a 12V battery. Your diesel pickup is still most likely a 12V system. The larger batteries, and deep cycle marine, will last longer between charges. A deep cycle battery is not harmed by going dead.

I have no experience what so ever with a deep cycle or marine deep cycle battery, so they can sit and go totally dead and will still charge up and work like new? I guess that’s the route I should go then? Whatever one I get whether it be battery or foot pedal manual I’ll likely use it 3-4 times a year and sling prolly 200-300 pigeons a year.

That isn't many...I shoot more than that in a couple of weeks.

Batteries are funny. they don't like to go completely dead. Deep cycle batteries are better at not being continuously charged and kept at full charge, like your car.

They can be drawn below 12V...dead for a 12V battery...recharged, and be OK. If you keep it reasonably charged, a deep cycle is the way to go for that use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was able to remove (unplug) the foot pedal release on my Do All white wing and connect my Ventriloquist for voice remote. Works great. If anyone wants a terrific hand trap, the best I’ve ever seen is a brand: “Wing One”. I bought two of them.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm 
Field Grade

hopper810 wrote:
BobWalters wrote:

Between shells and clay cost plus my odd work schedule I doubt it’ll get to much higher.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

painter* wrote:
BobWalters wrote:
painter* wrote:

That isn't many...I shoot more than that in a couple of weeks.

Batteries are funny. they don't like to go completely dead. Deep cycle batteries are better at not being continuously charged and kept at full charge, like your car.

They can be drawn below 12V...dead for a 12V battery...recharged, and be OK. If you keep it reasonably charged, a deep cycle is the way to go for that use.

Guess I could buy one a those battery tender things you plug in and keep it on it when not in use

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

A battery tender is better than nothing, but they won't fully charge a deep cycle battery. Deep cycle batteries need to be recharged at higher amperage rates to get to a full charge.

That said, an inexpensive tender will keep almost any battery serviceable for the use you intend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

painter* wrote:
A battery tender is better than nothing, but they won't fully charge a deep cycle battery. Deep cycle batteries need to be recharged at higher amperage rates to get to a full charge.

That said, an inexpensive tender will keep almost any battery serviceable for the use you intend.

So what would be your full 100% recommendation?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 am 
Field Grade

+1 for wheelybird. I use a small deep cycle battery. Recharge it with battery tender. After reading painter’s post I might search for a different battery charger though. If you get a Wheelybird you will probably also want to add some loctite to the spring bolt and screws b/c they will move a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 am 
Presentation Grade

BobWalters wrote:
painter* wrote:

So what would be your full 100% recommendation?

Something like this... https://smile.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE- ... ry+charger

You pick the rate of charge. I wouldn't recommend leaving it connected all the time set at 10, or 50, amps. It will overcharge the battery. Automatic chargers are more expensive, and not necessary if you pay attention.

Basically, any charger that will charge at around 10 amps. Tenders are rated in milliamps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:08 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
BobWalters wrote:

Near guarantee.

Any of them slow down pretty quickly when running from a lead acid car battery. BUT. A good automatic battery charger is not expensive, half the cost of a large or deep cycle batyery. A $20 mower battery a $50 charger (which has many more usrs), and an extension cord and I can literally throw thousands of clays in my yard, no troubles, never slow down.
The $50 charger I have will jump start, do 10 amp fast charge, 2 amp slow charge, or float charge, and if charging fast or slow, when 100%, switches to float on its own.
The easy way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Mine is a Do-All White Wing, 4 or 5 yrs old now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:37 pm 
Field Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
BobWalters wrote:

Near guarantee.

Any of them slow down pretty quickly when running from a lead acid car battery. BUT. A good automatic battery charger is not expensive, half the cost of a large or deep cycle batyery. A $20 mower battery a $50 charger (which has many more usrs), and an extension cord and I can literally throw thousands of clays in my yard, no troubles, never slow down.
The $50 charger I have will jump start, do 10 amp fast charge, 2 amp slow charge, or float charge, and if charging fast or slow, when 100%, switches to float on its own.
The easy way.

If I go with a battery thrower it’ll be just however much juice the battery has in it at the time, I’ll be throwing a good 200 yards away from the nearest electrical plug in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Small deep cycle batteries in 25-45 amps work great and their gel-cels too. About $45 shipped. Thats all we use at our club have about 35 of them. Get the terminals for bolt up for the traps clip on clamps . And light weight for a battery about 17 lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The new Champion Wheelybird 2.0 is now out.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

A few of my shooting buddies got together and bought 4 of the Champion throwers. We rigged all them up to remotes but you can still plug the foot peddle in and use it also. We have got great service out of these throwers. Little or no trouble out of any of them. We did have the top ring, that holds the the 4 rods together, break. We called Champion to buy 2.
They sent them free of charge and paid the freight. I don’t think you can go wrong with a Champion.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 pm 
Field Grade

I like my Champion Workhorse target thrower. Only issue was it started breaking clays and all it took to stop the breaking was a simple adjustment of the limit switch. Now, it may break one or two out of a hundred and most of those are previously thrown clays. I'm tight so I can shoot more :D

I'll be glad when they finally release their remote for it. I've been waiting and watching for a while. Their promise of a remote is why I went with the Workhorse. I've installed 110 plugs and unless I'm pressed for time, I'll take 120 feet of extension cord to shoot full crossers and incomers.

It'll throw a full range finder 70 yards or more.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 pm 
Field Grade

I maintain and service traps and have been doing so for quite a while. My experience is more with commercial to smaller club type machines but they all share similar processes. One thing I will say about batteries, make sure you get enough battery for the job. Low voltage is a killer and will shorten the life of the electrical components. It creates extra heat in the wiring, switches, relays, and motor. Loose connections will also cause component issues so make sure all of your connections are tight. Most of the machines I deal with recommend as a minimum a group 24 deep cycle battery. I don’t run anything below that, even on my small Promatic backyard machine. If you notice your machine is resetting slower than normal, don’t keep on running it till it quits. Replace or recharge the battery. If you plan on leaving your machine and battery set up outside, a good option is a solar charger. They will not bring a battery back from a low discharge, but work very well at maintaining the battery and insuring longer battery life. It is still wise to charge the battery on a regular charger occasionally to bring them up and top them off. The biggest factor in battery longevity is not letting it fully discharge and then sit like that, even for a very short time. Leaving them out or unprotected in temperature extremes also shortens life. Some folks tend to use a regular voltmeter to test a batteries condition. A voltmeter does not tell the entire story. A load tester will give you a much better idea of a batteries capacity and let you know if there is a short in the system. I have used a voltmeter in a pinch to test battery voltage as a machine cycles. This does produce a “load”. But you’ll have better results with a regular load tester.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:01 am 
Field Grade

+1 on the Wheelybird. Has been flawless