It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help me ID this 12 ga. O/U
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I neighbor of mine approached me this week and asked me to help her sell off her late husband's gun selection. She said the local gun range seemed to be trying to take advantage of her. So I have identified most of his guns and am able to give her some fair price information, then this 12 ga. Over/Under really stumped me. I have been through the online auctions as well as crawled through Google and I'm stumped. The only nomenclature on the gun is a crest on the bottom of the receiver which says Super Martin. There are no other identifiers on the barrels or receiver, even in in the open breech. The barrels are 28 1/2 inches and both the bottom barrel and the stock have thin sling clips (1/2" - 3/4" wide, non swiveling). The breech release is different from what I have ever seen on an O/U. Each side of the receiver has nice engravings of field with hunter and birds in flight. This gun is surprisingly light for being a double barrel. Please have a look at the pix I attached to see if you have a hint for me. Thanks so much.
https://imgur.com/TRgzrNl
https://imgur.com/jOebzQL

Post subject: Re: Please help me ID this 12 ga. O/U
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

OK, some time has passed and I have further investigated this OU gun. I have found the following markings and hope I can get some help identifying it and some opinion of its value. Stamped inside the receiver are the following: Stamp of a crown with a cross in the middle and the letters PT under the crown., Stamp on side of the receiver - CT FIAGE SPECIAL al la Pierre., Stamp underside of barrel Fortee MAXIMUM GARANTIE., ST ETITENNE., and another Dechelle, plus two odd stamps of what may be trees. Does anyone recognize any of these?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 am 
Crown Grade

The toggle type of lever is similar to a Darne, but the name, proof marks, etc. should be n there SOMEWHERE

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 am 
Tournament Grade

From what you have uncovered it seems to be of French origin. Interesting old gun for sure. Is that rust or old grease/oils on it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:28 pm 
Utility Grade

What you see is a bit of old lube and the camera changing the color. Notice the color of the bluing on the barrel in the same shots, bluing is in pretty fair shape and normal color. While I have found several SS doubles with toggle release, I can't find an OU with this anywhere. It appears as if the gun hasn't been fired much from the looks of the barrels and corners and edges in the receiver area. How would you rough price this?