It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

BOWHUNTERCOP wrote:
Hey Randy, per Remington charts they ARE NOT better then the ACCUTIPS, I love Barnes out of my muzzleloader......These new slugs are not more accurate then the ACCUTIPS

What groups are you actually getting, to come up with the claim that they are not more accurate. Any? Any at all?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:20 pm 
Limited Edition

With the 3" Accutips 20ga., at 100 yards getting 3/4", at 200 yards 1.5" about 4" low out of my Savage 220

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=0

cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

BOWHUNTERCOP wrote:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=0

What is the yardage on these?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Let add I'm deadcenter at 175 yards. Those two pictures came from 2015 then 2017, I goto the range sometime in May of every year to check the zero of all my slug guns. So tell me, since you claim the Barnes is a two hole round how can it get better then what I'm getting with Accutips?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

whackem_stackem wrote:
BOWHUNTERCOP wrote:

100 yards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 pm 
Field Grade

BOWHUNTERCOP wrote:
whackem_stackem wrote:
BOWHUNTERCOP wrote:

100 yards

Impressive
Gotta get me a 220

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:20 pm 
Limited Edition

thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The PRA20M load, a 260 gr. Accutip (1900 fps) is 1438 fps @ 100 yards.

The PRX20M load, the 250 grain Barnes (1900 fps) is 1519 fps @ 100 yards. Clear enough?

If, in your gun, the AccuTips are more accurate, then what is the purpose of this thread? Remington doesn't mind if you buy AccuTips. :shock:

I'm delighted that the Barnes slugs are back, as they are flatter-shooting than the AccuTips, have higher impact velocity, better weight retention, and far better penetration. With the Barnes, it is two holes every time.

By "two holes every time" I mean in the animal, one entrance, and one exit.

Nothing beats the terminal performance of a Barnes all copper bullet out of a slug gun or muzzleloader, whether deer, hogs, bear, or kudu for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 am 
Crown Grade

What happens if you fire these out of a smooth bore? Says this on their website:

"Notes: Designed specifically for rifled barrels but can also be used in smooth bore barrels."

Will they tumble?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DallasCMT wrote:
What happens if you fire these out of a smooth bore?

They don't spin and it isn't pretty. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:52 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Mallards Only wrote:

https://images.remington-catalog.com/5a62306504ba5
https://images.remington-catalog.com/573cd0229b967

The 260g 20 ga Accutip has a maximum drop of 6 inches over 150 yds.
The 250g Expander drops nearly 7 inches over 150 yd.

No.

All you have to do is learn to read and things will go much easier for you. Anyone who actually reads instantly knows that the Accutips are shown with a 150 yard zero.

The Barnes loads are shown with a 50 yard zero.

Ever heard the saying, "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"? I'm fully aware of what the zeroes are for these loads and it's you who can't read. The displacement for the Accutips over 150 yds is 3.4" from zero. The displacement of the Barnes is nearly 7" over 150 yds. By definition, that makes the Accutips a FLATTER shooter within effective range. The difference in downrange energy and MV is nominal as both will kill deer within 200 yds. In fact, I'd love to see some terminal ballistic testing in gel of both bullets. I'd be willing to bet the Accutips expand better with the lower velocities than the Barnes do at the higher velocites at 150 yds. Surely you, being the Remington expert that you are, have done these ballistic comparisons before making such absurd claims, no? Oh yeah, I forgot, you just say what Remington pays you to say rather than what the evidence or experience show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Incidentally, I noticed that you must have spoken to Remington since this thread started as they have put up an entirely different ballistics chart for the Accutips since I posted the link initially. Ironically though, it actually now shows that the Accutips are an even FLATTER shooter than the original chart showed. So, nice try. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Thank you guys, I see some replies agree with that I read on the charts showing the ACCUTIPS are flatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Hm...from where I sit, that new shell might be one that I would try...I shoot the Copper Solids in my model 87 Ithaca so I'm already paying a premium for my shells. With the Copper solids, I'm getting flat hole in hole at 100 yards. I use three shells a year, one to sight in and two deer.
The 2 3/4 Accutips shoot nearly as well in my gun but push a bit from center, albeit giving a 1/2 inch grouping at 100 yds. The 3's overwhelm the rifling and tumble. Although cheaper, I don't use Accutips because I prefer to use a copper slug (I eat deer 3 or 4 times a week..I don't need the lead in my diet) and since a box of Solids lasts me a couple seasons, the savings for the Accutip don't matter to me.
I'll definitely buy a box of these and give them a try...I'll be curious to see if they also tumble from my 87... if they don't it would be nice to have a shell option that has a smaller hold over at 200 yards. All said, the only way to find out what these will do is to send a few downrange and see what happens...I read ballistics charts in the waiting room at my dentist...........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 am 
Tournament Grade

emgerrish wrote:
Hm...from where I sit, that new shell might be one that I would try...I shoot the Copper Solids in my model 87 Ithaca so I'm already paying a premium for my shells. With the Copper solids, I'm getting flat hole in hole at 100 yards. I use three shells a year, one to sight in and two deer.
The 2 3/4 Accutips shoot nearly as well in my gun but push a bit from center, albeit giving a 1/2 inch grouping at 100 yds. The 3's overwhelm the rifling and tumble. Although cheaper, I don't use Accutips because I prefer to use a copper slug (I eat deer 3 or 4 times a week..I don't need the lead in my diet) and since a box of Solids lasts me a couple seasons, the savings for the Accutip don't matter to me.
I'll definitely buy a box of these and give them a try...I'll be curious to see if they also tumble from my 87... if they don't it would be nice to have a shell option that has a smaller hold over at 200 yards. All said, the only way to find out what these will do is to send a few downrange and see what happens...I read ballistics charts in the waiting room at my dentist...........

It's not the cost of using them that's prohibitive for me. It's the cost of evaluating them ballistically. In order to get an ACCURATE representation of what these slugs will do out of your gun, it's gonna require at least $100 in ammunition unless you only plan on using them for close range. Sure, once sighted in, few of us rarely use more than a 5 round box per year. But, in order to accurately determine what these slugs will do out your gun it's gonna take:

3 rounds for initial grouping
3 rounds after correcting windage and elevation to get on target. (That's if you're lucky and it only takes 3 rounds after the corrections. With some large corrections, I've found it can take some fine-tuning after the first correction)
3 rounds at each distance you plan to possibly shoot at. Personally, I'd go to at least 150 and maybe 200 yds depending on the energy maintained downrange.
Right there, you're at 3 boxes(4 if you count the one you'll eventually use for hunting). That doesn't even factor in the rounds used if you want to tinker with the elevation for PBR and to see what kind of wind deflection the slugs get with different wind conditions.
At over $30/box plus shipping, you're already out over $100 just to get an accurate representation of the ballistics out of your gun. Of course, you could always believe the crap that Randy and Remington try to tell you regarding the performance but you'd likely miss anything beyond 125 yds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 am 
Field Grade

If you don't like the cost don't buy them!!! Sick of all the Remington HATE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:50 am 
Limited Edition

I think I can short cut that process...my gun is so dialed in that I would start with a 100 yard group and see where that takes me. I know that I can certainly be on paper...
From there out to 150....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

All the whining about cost, just because you didn't bother to check it out: https://www.impactguns.com/remington-pr ... rx20m.aspx .

$18.29 / box, but some folks are needing therapy at $30 or so.

Of course the Barnes shoots markedly flatter with less wind drift. Of course it has a higher ballistic coefficient. It isn't hard to understand why at all, all you have to do it considered the bullet diameter and the light bulb goes on.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next