It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adding WINCHOKES to a Super X1?
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 am 
Field Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
I bought an SX1 from Bob Baumgart that was a modified choke with the screw in the rib. He had Pete Ellson put choke tubes in it. It's never been a problem and looks fine. I've no idea if the design is proprietary to Mr. Ellson, though the tubes are shorter than any others I've seen.

I just looked and found my Briley thin-wall choked SX1 barrel has the screw in the rib as well. The barrel was a Full choked field version, I picked it up to shoot Skeet as I already had an IM Trap Choke bbl. It came with LM, M and IM choke tubes and I had the IM opened to .005" for Skeet, just this past week for the first time I threaded in the Mod choke to shoot Trap. Did not score well at short handicaps. The club has a patterning board so I tried a couple shells through it- pattern is tight but impacts dead on while the IM Trap Choked barrel shoots higher. Not a lot higher, but I should have hit the patterning board first so I'd have known.

My SX1 wears a Skeet stock and I'd gotten used to shooting it at Trap, then for the past couple years switched to a very high stocked Beretta O/U. Using that sight picture with the flatter impacting choke tubed field barrel was not a good idea. This week I'll do the same with the IM Trap barrel and see how it does--at the clays and at the patterning board.

I shot the choke tubed barrel at Skeet for a number of years, hadn't taken the tube out to clean it in a good while but it threaded right out and the Mod went right in. Both got a good soaking and scrubbing, no problems yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

I "Gave UP" on changing the choke on my SX-1, and sold the shotgun.

JERRY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:58 am 
Field Grade

I won't have to off you mine, then, Jerry! They're a great target gun but I'm sure you've got targets well covered.

I shot the Trap barrel yesterday and was right back in the groove I've worn with it. Did NOT try the patterning board, I am happy with the bliss of knowing it shoots where I want it to at least until curiosity gets the better of me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a trap barrel and a skeet barrel and that seems to cover it all.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith