It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 220 / ammo cycling problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm 
Utility Grade

New to the forum but have a question about a cycling problem I'm having with my new savage 220. I just purchased a couple of boxes of Hornady SST's 2 3/4" to start out. I'm getting steady jams because the edge of the brass base is hanging up before the shell makes it all the way into the breech. Upon inspection you can see dings and nicks in the edge of the brass where it's hitting. Ran Winchester and Remington shells (bird shot not slugs) through the action without shooting them and they cycled without a problem. Almost seem like the Horaday's brass is just a touch bigger in diameter causing the problem. Haven't shot the gun yet. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. If this question has already been asked please direct me the correct thread. A quick site search didn't seem to locate an answer to my question. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Danny

Post subject: Re: Savage 220 / ammo cycling problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 pm 
Limited Edition

This has been posted before.

You want to lap the bolt rails and bolt itself, at the time I got my Savage 220 I just let my gunsmith do it as I just didn't have time and I was getting the scope mounted/bore sighted

As far as ammo, just get yourself Remington Accutips 3", or the new Remington/Barnes also 3"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks BHC. I’ll check into that. The local gunsmith is very good but takes forever. Just wondering if others had the same issue with Hornady ammo

Danny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 am 
Limited Edition

Don't both with Hornsby, they are great slugs but not the best in the savage 220....Remington Accutips 3" is the ticket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Got it. Thank you.