It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kolar vs K-80
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Ok I am going to do it because I believe this is a very good place to get information.

I will post this on the Kreighoff page also.

The Kolar vs the K-80 sporting versions, 32” version, all else is up for discussion.

Which do you prefer? Which do you own?
Does anyone here own both?

Your opinions and reasoning behind your choice is appreciated.

(Not trying to start any crazy talk, fights.)

Thanks, Mike

Post subject: Re: Kolar vs K-80
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Well this is the I love my Kolar forum so it is going to be a biased answer :-)

I went through the exact same decision so rather than say the "get a _____" without backup or having never tried the other I have a long answer vs just spouting brand loyalty.

So if you are serious, I highly recommend going through this process in order of importance. You are talking about two elite guns here, so the selection comes down to you and what you want.

1) Shoot both. Although you can borrow someone's gun for a round or two, you really don't get the feel in this short amount of time. Either travel to a major tournament that has both for demo or, even better, contact places like Paxton Arms and they will send you a demo gun. I did the latter, having Paxton Arms send me a Kolar and a Krieghoff and I was able to shoot both for a few days and then return them. Cost was basically shipping and I think a deposit so you don't run off with it. Maybe a small fee that is refunded if you purchase, but I can't recall and was well worth it.

2) Custom Stock. Kolar can build you a custom stock for around $2800 last I looked when you order a new gun from the dealer. This is a non-issue if they fit you out of the box or just an adjustable comb is needed. Odd folks like me need fitting and this is still cheaper than most any other custom stock builder. It also includes a wood upgrade in this fee.

3)Sub-Gauge. If you are going to shoot subgauges and want a carrier barrel and tubes, there is a package from Kolar that makes this (new gun) less expensive than a Krieghoff. If this is not an need or you are just going to tube your 12 gauge barrel, this is a total non-issue.

There are a few other things to note that I hear often. Kolars are made in the USA and that is a drive for many folks. I find it a bonus and didn't weigh into what I bought but is cool. Kreighoffs have better resale value and/or tend to move faster. If you go through the process of really trying the guns first, you likely won't need another gun for a long time. If you like to trade up or out of guns, this is a consideration.

Service for Kolar is great and I have hard the same from Krieghoff owners about the US service centers. I think it is cool I can and have talked directly to the owner of Kolar with questions, but both are seen as top notch.

Hope this helps. Whew, I need a beer. :-)

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am 
Utility Grade

I own both. I prefer my Kolar for skeet and trap, I use my K80 as a backup skeet gun and for sporting clays. The Kolar just fits me better and swings great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot an American K-gun. I absolutely love the fit, finish and balance of my Kolar. When I shoot the gun it is like an extension of me rather than a device I am holding. I like the fact that it is completely American made. I believe both guns are great guns. I have talked to arms engineers that have told me the Kolar is superior to both the German K-gun and the Perazzi from an engineering perspective. If having a gun like most of the M-class shooters then the Kolar is not for you as Kolar just does not make a lot of guns. I might add that Kolar also has 4 barrel sets. That said, Rory's advise above is impeccable.

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:32 pm 
Crown Grade

MHWH wrote:
The Kolar vs the K-80 sporting versions, 32” version, all else is up for discussion.

Which do you prefer? Which do you own?
Does anyone here own both?

Your opinions and reasoning behind your choice is appreciated.

I own a 30" Kolar Max Skeet, and 4 K-80's, of all barrel configurations, and a Perazzi MX-112 with 29 1/2 in barrel.

I had the Kolar demo and K-80 demo at the same time.

I really wanted to be a K-80 owner, cause everyone said they were the best. After shooting the demo guns for 6 weeks, I chose Kolar. I just shot it much better, and the price with a 2-barrel carrier set was less than a K-80 with a tube set.

The Kolar balanced right on the hinge pin, where as the K-80 was front heavy. If I tried to balance it on the hinge pin, it would tip forward right away.

It's just a matter of personal choice. I still loved the engraved K-80s, and ended up with 3 of them, plus a standard grade. I have a 4-barrel set (love shooting those little 410 barrels,) two 30-inch pro-rib barrels, and a 28-inch barrel, all with tube sets.

I will say one thing, those 32" K-80s get hard to swing. I had a buddy who was a AA/AAA shooter with a 30-inch Kolar Max Skeet. He got a hair up his butt, sold the Kolar to another friend of mine, and bought a 32" K-80 pro-skeet. He had a custom Wenig stock made for it, etc.

Just couldn't swing it. Couldn't hit doubles to save his a$$, got frustrated, and sold the gun and quit shooting!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot both and the K-80 just fit and swung better for me. That being said the Kreighoff Parcours feels even better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

J.T. Guitar wrote:
I shot both and the K-80 just fit and swung better for me. That being said the Kreighoff Parcours feels even better.

Seriously, if you think the Parcours has the best fit and swing feel, you should just get a Perazzi or a Beretta!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 am 
Tournament Grade

John Henry wrote:
J.T. Guitar wrote:

Seriously, if you think the Parcours has the best fit and swing feel, you should just get a Perazzi or a Beretta!!

I owned both a Beretta and a Perazzi MX2000; I still have an A400. However, nothing I’ve ever shot comes close to the Krieghoff Parcours. And now that even Kolar admits the Krieghoff trigger is the best there is... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

J.T. Guitar wrote:
...... And now that even Kolar admits the Krieghoff trigger is the best there is... :lol:

Oh really? When did that happen?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
J.T. Guitar wrote:
...... And now that even Kolar admits the Krieghoff trigger is the best there is... :lol:

Oh really? When did that happen?

OK, I see it now. So the new STAGE II trigger is being referenced? I've had that trigger in my gun since I bought it. Is that old information in the interview?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don't kill the messenger... But when the company man says they're trying to get their triggers as good as Krieghoff's, that there is brutal honesty. Hat's off to him for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

Might as well jump in here and confuse the issue. Have been shooting a 32" K80 Parcours (12,20,28) for just over a year and really like it, but still wanted to give the Max Lite Sporter an honest try. I had shot a demo at Nationals a couple of years ago but nothing liking owning one to really tell.
So I ran across a 32", like new but 3 years old Max Lite Sporter and bought it. Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to like the gun....beautful wood, fits well, swings great, hits well, and I can't really identify what I dislike, but there it is. Getting ready to send it on to a new owner.
When I pick up the Parcours I feel at home is the best way to describe it. My suggestion is shoot both K guns as much as you can before buying. One demo can fool a person.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm with you SteveM...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

SteveM54 wrote:
So I ran across a 32", like new but 3 years old Max Lite Sporter and bought it. ....... Getting ready to send it on to a new owner.

Let me know when you're ready to unload it.