It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on Remington Versamax Waterfowl Pro Needed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thinking of purchasing a new duck gun & as the title says I'd like some opinions of gents who have purchased/used these guns.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: Opinions on Remington Versamax Waterfowl Pro Needed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike,

I loved this gun. I have the synthetic version. Which doesn't have the over-sized controls or the tactical lifter but everything else is the same. To me this shotgun has hardly any recoil. I purchased mine used in 2015 and shot skeet with it for a season, average about 400 rounds a month, having only 1 cycling issue. I shot it the entire skeet season cleaning it once or twice as I wanted to see the reliability. I hunted with it in the duck blind for a good portion of the 2016-2017 season. This season the problems began. The link and link pin broke, which I replaced. After repairing, I had light primer strikes with rem nitro steel and fiocchi shells. I began doing a TON of research on common problems and repairs for this problem. Brian Enos' website forums had information on replacing the cam pin and hammer with benelli parts, since the remington's wear quickly. I also replaced the hammer spring with a benelli one and eventually replaced that with a wolff xp hammer spring. I also replaced the action spring with a wolff xp spring, and updated firing pin spring from remington, along with a remington firing pin. I call remington customer service and the technician sent me a firing pin for free as that was all he could think was left to be a problem. With all the new parts installed I left for a week hunting trip at my duck club. The first 75 shells and not one problem, fixed, so I thought. The next day I began experiencing light primer strikes once again. I stop shooting the nitro steel for the remainder of the season and did not have a problem. I lost a lot of confidence in that piece of hardware and it cost me numerous birds. The shell lifter on my hung down to low and stubble would catch on it even getting into the magazine tube also.

So the hunt for a new shotgun began. I own a sX3 too and the felt recoil was not comfortable for me. I am not brand loyal, but my heart strings were with going with an American made semi auto like the versa max, so I thought about buying the waterfowl pro with the hopes that production improvements along the years would eliminate these problems. But the more I read and the more I thought about the mental game of shooting, I was unwilling to take the risk again. I shoulderd the super vinci, maxus, A5, sx4, sbe3, sbe2, and the beretta A400 xtreme and even held the versa max while at the store to compare. All, but the sbe2 were shoulder on the same day at the same store. The maxus, A5, and xtreme felt the best. Then I went home and continued my search. I searched and searched and searched the internet, talked to friends about reliability and felt recoil. I love guns, but this purchase had me stressed and getting cold feet since the shotgun is a tool during the duck season. I wanted to make the bet decision possible for my hunting style. To day I purchased the A400 xtreme with a 28" barrel.

Also I just read an article about Remington looking to restructure their finances for bankruptcy. Feel free to ask me any questions. Oh, you can buy the oversized controls of the waterfowl pro for about $125 including the tactical shell lifter if you find another model for a steal.

Good Luck!

-Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the reply. I also have a 870 camo (RH though) and a factory camo Citori.
The Citori I bought used but two years ago the finish on the FE & stock went bad. Became very, very sticky to the point the gun was almost impossible to get out of a case. I like the Citori so I called Browning and requested a new FE & stock but they would not send those. Told me the stock would need to be fitted to the gun. I can handle this but sent the gun to Browning in Feb 2017. Now I'm told I might get the gun back in March/April. Poor customer service by Browning. I'll never buy another Browning product.

What swayed you to the Beretta over a super black eagle?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I choose Beretta for several reasons. I have shot Benelli’s in the past and was concerned about the recoil since it will be a primary waterfowl gun. The SBE2 had a safety that felt like I really had to “reach for” even though it was behind the trigger guard which made me think I may get bit by the trigger guard over a course of a lot of shooting. Not so mich because of high recoil but I have large hands and the stock shape just put me close to it. The Beretta was heavier, had very smooth action on the gas semi-autos I tried, shouldered well, and three of the 5 five guys I go to Canada have one. All of which vary in lengh if ownership and they have no complaints. I researched long enough to know that evey manufacturer has issues, but it seemed like the ones I heard about Beretta wereaonly geared toward cycling of 3.5” shells. I guy I met shooting skeet had that problem and I told him to send it to Cole gunsmithing and within two weeks his gun was repaired and returned. Something they were familiar with and fixed fast.

With Borwning/winchester customer service I just used them for my SX3 not cycling 3.5” and then sent me a new piston. A buddy was using it this season as I rarely shoot 3.5”, but I did verify the problem and cleaned it twice to no avail. The recoil pad was cracked and they shipped a new one of those as well. Both free of charge. Although it may take them some time to fix your citori, Im fairly confident they will treat you right. Dont let lebgrh if time on one speciific problem sway you. Beretta has a notoriously bad rep for customer service, but they factory service center(cole’s) has a stellar one.

-Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Hardcore.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm 
Field Grade

I have hunted waterfowl with a base model Versamax now for 3 years including trap and sporting clay's. I have honestly had zero failures and shoot it better than any of my other guns. I have buddies with SBE II's and SX3's and I've seen them all have issues while my VM keeps chugging. It does have some upgrades. I had it Cerakoted to prevent rust, I bought a set of carlson's extgended tubes (patterns great btw), I also added a wolf XP recoil spring. I did this for two reasons. Some hot 3.5" loads the bolt hit the back of the receiver and once in a blue moon if you dropped a shell on the carrier and hit the feed latch button the gun would need a slight tap on the charging handle to start the bold forward. Not a big deal but the problem is solved now. My only other gripe is that the shells push into the magazine tube with a bit more force than should be required. Other than that I would recommend this gun to anyone.

Good things come to those who shoot straight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Wack nstack,

I agree with you completely and was surprised I had issuses. I will say this though, after replacing the link and link pin in december and finishing the season with it I was surprised how much wear it showed when I cleaned it yesterday...And it does seem difficult to load shells in the tube as you described...Every gun is an individual good and bad from every brand.

-Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 am 
Field Grade

Plus I think the enlarged loading port and competition carrier on the waterfowl pro would make loading the tube much easier. Kinda been toying with the notion of buying one myself.

Good things come to those who shoot straight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Best auto made today for many many reasons. Only short coming is its chokes are not that great for faster steel. Easily fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

mc15426378 wrote:
Thinking of purchasing a new duck gun & as the title says I'd like some opinions of gents who have purchased/used these guns.

Thanks
Mike

They are generally excellent, as long as you are comfortable with the hefty weight and lackluster trigger.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 am 
Tournament Grade

The picture Wakeman shared IS NOT the Waterfowl Pro........Its actually the Turkey version with 26" barrel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have owned Benellis for 12+years, a Maxus, an SX3, a Versamax and a V3. I still currently own the Versamax. The recoil on it is the best of any auto made today, PERIOD. Its function in terms of jamming has been flawless. I did break an extractor after shooting 6 boxes of 3.5 1 1/2oz 1500fps loads. It can go a very long time without cleaning. Much further than any auto I have had. Maxus got slow after 5 boxes. V3 slow after about 3 and needed to be run very wet. The rubber inlays are nice, the larger safety is nice as well. The factory chokes with faster steel need improvement, that's a $40 fix really.