It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squaring Off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anthony, I've always been a sustained lead shooter from back in my skeet days. I've been practicing lately really trying to square off with the target at the hold point and then move forward pulling away (as you talk about in your vid). I just can't seem to meet the bird in that way without getting beat almost every time. The only way I can stay in front is to start moving the gun laterly as I bring the gun to my face. I really like the feeling I get when I meet the bird a bit in front and pull to the lead but I just cant seem to do it nearly as close to the hold point as you do. Any tips? (BTW, I have a lesson with you scheduled in May down there at M&M and really looking forward to it).

Post subject: Re: Squaring Off
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sprinter wrote:
Anthony, I've always been a sustained lead shooter from back in my skeet days. I've been practicing lately really trying to square off with the target at the hold point and then move forward pulling away (as you talk about in your vid). I just can't seem to meet the bird in that way without getting beat almost every time. The only way I can stay in front is to start moving the gun laterly as I bring the gun to my face. I really like the feeling I get when I meet the bird a bit in front and pull to the lead but I just cant seem to do it nearly as close to the hold point as you do. Any tips? (BTW, I have a lesson with you scheduled in May down there at M&M and really looking forward to it).

Sprinter, it took me a little while to get that down and I found out that a short draw got me squared right after the hold point. I only look at the target (just seeing it, not a hard focus yet) and kinda like bayoneting it. It's a pretty quick move and works good for me and ease on out keeping your eyes on the front edge if that is applicable to the direction of how the target is moving. From the short draw, once the comb touches your cheek, you are hard focused, and now the target slows down.

I think it's a real good move - good luck.

Post subject: Re: Squaring Off
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

You don’t need to be perfectly square but “cutting the clay off” helps you to match speed. Sometimes getting beat when learning this is just part of learning. Squaring the target off forces gun speed to match target speed or you’ll get beat. We can experiment a little with your mount and timing. I am sure we can figure it out.