It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone know Gorosabel boxlocks?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just paid $500 for a Pedro Gorosabel boxlock that I don’t think has ever been fired. There’s almost nothing about them either online or in Terry Wieland’s Spanish Best. I can’t seem to post pics, so here’s a detailed description:

12 gauge, 2 3/4” chambers

26-inch "Krupp fluid steel" barrels, MOD and Full, flat rib

Proofed 1964 (850 kgs)

Pistol grip, Anson-pushbutton-release forend, double triggers, side clips, Greener bolt, auto-safety, extractors, sling swivels, initial oval

The action is coin-finished with a weird stylized bird engraved on each side.

I don’t have a scale, but the gun feels extraordinarily light.

The LOP is only 14”, and there’s a bit of cast-off.

The wood has a thick glossy finish that has crazed with age. The wood underneath looks like it might have a bit of nice fiddleback. The pistol grip cap and butt plate are black plastic.

Between the glossy finish, the plastic, and the weird bird, the gun has a cheap look to it. But I think refinishing the stock will make a dramatic difference.

I haven’t fired it yet, but it seems to function fine with snap caps. With both barrels cocked, something rattles inside. I initially thought it was the sling swivels, but it’s something internal. Once either trigger is pulled, there is is no longer a rattle. Any guesses what that might be?

I bought this to be a loaner - I have a neighbor who keeps asking to borrow a gun for pheasant hunts. He brings them back in good shape, but I’m getting tired of it. I figure $500 is a very cheap price to stay on good terms with him without anxiety about what might be happening to my prized guns.

So what exactly do I have?

Post subject: Re: Anyone know Gorosabel boxlocks?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

Oblio13 wrote:

So what exactly do I have?

Well, you have a pretty undesirable shotgun if my experience with Gorosabel is any indication. On an impulse, I bought a cute, little .410 Gorosabel side-by-side from a friend of mine. The receiver was fully engraved with scroll engraving. It had a single, selective trigger, ejectors, beavertail forearm, pistol grip and a vent rib. All in great condition. After I'd shot it a bit, I knew me and it were never going to be best buds. So, I went looking for something more suitable for what I wanted the gun for. I found an LC Smith 20 gauge at each of two well-known sellers of side-by-side shotguns. One of those sellers posts on this forum from time to time. Anyway, when I contacted each of them and asked about trading my Gorosabel for their Smith, I received a very polite but very firm "couldn't use it". They simply were not going to take that Gorosabel in trade.

I finally did sell the gun, locally, to a guy who thought it would be a perfect foundation for a small bore double rifle he was building. He related later that he shot skeet with it before getting the rifle barrels fitted and in less than 500 rounds both firing pins had broken.

So, in my experience, a Gorosabel is not desirable to knowledgeable sellers and it wasn't very robust when shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Great.

Well, if I'm lucky it'll break when my cheap neighbor is borrowing it. Then he'll either feel obligated to get it fixed for me (doubtful), or I'll get it fixed myself and be able to say, "Dude, no, the last time cost me big" (almost as good).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hold another view. Gorosabel was a very well-respected maker. A high grade side lock by Gorosabel is a thing of beauty.

Admittedly, your gun is an economy model. But it is certainly useful for your purposes. I am surprised it only has 26 inch barrels.

We are asked many things. Visualizing the source of a rattle on an unseen gun is really kind of a Zinger. I honestly don't know much about the inside of a box lock.
However, if the gun works as it's supposed to, and there are no visible loose screws, I will make a guess.

If the gun rattles when cocked, and the rattle goes away when either trigger is pulled, I have to assume that one of the relieved hammer springs is resting against the cocking arm. Apparently there is one cocking arm for both triggers. When the spring rests against the cocking arm it stops the rattle. If it works and doesn't fall out when you take the stock off to finish the wood... I think you have a very good plan on about loaning it to the mooch next door.

You sound like a very generous fellow. Do you need anyone to do any testing on your high-grade guns? I can probably get them back to you in a year or two.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got brave and took the thing apart. The part that rattles is the L-shaped rod that engages the automatic safety. It's working as it should, it just moves back and forth a little.

Now I'm stripping the finish. Wish I'd taken "before" pics. It's a very thick, dark varnish that had not aged well. Underneath the wood is startlingly blonde. I'm thinking I'll leave it natural - it might make that coin-finished weird bird engraving look less garish.

I might also replace the plastic grip cap with a slice of buffalo horn, and the plastic butt plate with maybe a Pachmayr "Old English" pad. It may look almost respectable when I'm done.

And the more I look at the barrels, the more impressed I am. They seem to be very well struck. I can't see a ripple anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I actually thought of that rod,
but how does releasing a trigger stop it from rattling?

Some people like blonde wood on a shotgun. I am not one of them. I use thinned Fiebings shoe dye /alcohol base.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I won't know for sure until it's refinished and back together, but I'm thinking I misinterpreted what was happening. I think that turning the safety off is actually what stops the rattle, not pulling a trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

That makes sense. I've seen several guns like that. Sometimes you can bend a little spring to put a little tension on that safety to keep it from rattling. Other times a drop of solder in the right spot will give it enough tension to keep it in place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

volleyfire wrote:
... I am surprised it only has 26 inch barrels...

Me, too. I was hoping someone here would have an old catalog or something.

I wish it had longer barrels and a straight stock, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

For $500, though, I think I got fairly lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

As with many other Basque gunmakers, Gorosabel produced basic boxlocks and some very nice sidelocks. Gunmark in the U.K. marketed Gorosabel sidelocks alongside Garbi and Arrieta for several years. When Gorosabel ceased production of shotguns, they switched to producing an extensive line of gun parts for the trade prior to closing shop. I had their parts catalogue for a number of years. Unfortunately, it became a casualty when I relocated.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:06 am 
Limited Edition

As Doppleflinten says Gorosabel was a well respected maker. They produced some cheap and not very nice guns but the ones they made for Gunmark in the UK were very nice indeed though not quite in the same class as Arietta and Garbi. I had a Sabel 25" sidelock made by Gorosabel, in 1979 the gun retailed for GBP 570 in the UK. It was a lovely gun and one of the most popular in the Gunmark lineup. The boxlocks were cheaper and less finely finished but very well made nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:06 am 
Limited Edition

As Doppleflinten says Gorosabel was a well respected maker. They produced some cheap and not very nice guns but the ones they made for Gunmark in the UK were very nice indeed though not quite in the same class as Arietta and Garbi. I had a Sabel 25" sidelock made by Gorosabel, in 1979 the gun retailed for GBP 570 in the UK. It was a lovely gun and one of the most popular in the Gunmark lineup. The boxlocks were cheaper and less finely finished but very well made nonetheless.