It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best waterfowl camo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 am 
Field Grade

I am going to hunt on Maryland's eastern shore starting with sea ducks. My question is what camo pattern do you guys belive is best?

Post subject: Re: Best waterfowl camo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I like the old school pattern the best been using it for years and still prefer it but I'm Ole school myself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I wouldn't worry too much about this; seems like new patterns come out every season so they can sell you more stuff but in 50+ years of hunting I can't say I've noticed any major difference in the way ducks behave as a result. I've killed plenty wearing a brown Filson jacket. Pick out whichever waterfowl pattern you like and stick to the basics, including good location and concealment, decoy placement ,and discipline in the blind and you'll be OK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 pm 
Crown Grade

The pattern I believe is best for me in the midwestern marshes would not be best for you on the open water. Pick whatever pattern the clothes you like come in, you'll want warmth, freedom of movement and protection from rain before pattern.
I'd contact your outfitter and see what he recommends in the way of a suitable pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 am 
Limited Edition

for sea ducks camo is likely irrelevant. if anything a simple grey coat would get the job done.

beyond that go for a ride and look at the various areas you intend to hunt and figure out what suits.

for myself I buy the clothing that fits best. Columbia and Cabelas are my trusted brands.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Learning to sit still is the best camo you can get. Like stated before shot a lot of ducks in hip boots and a brown upland coat. I like the new stuff cause it's more waterproof,warmer,and lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:44 am 
Limited Edition

Yes on sitting still.

Be still and STFU during those most precious predawn moments. Some days my group gets set up with 10 minutes to spare then the talking starts. Hate that. STFU and listen for wings!!! Become one with your environment!!!

Of course this doesn't really apply to sea ducks but you'll surely find yourself hunting puddlers at some point.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Problem is, guys, that the best waterfowl clothing (as far as warmth, waterproof-ness, breathability, etc.) only come in camo....
Which pattern does he get? Probably doesn't matter one whit.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:40 am 
Presentation Grade

It does not matter one bit....camo patterns break up solids..they all do that. The idea of matching the camo pattern to the foliage is a marketing ploy to help sell more camo..
Use what you have. Concealment and hiding your movements are much more important... A lot of hunters move around too much..if you don't want to flair birds, stay still and quiet...