It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JP Sauer & Sohn front trigger left barrel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm 
Field Grade

I took my newly acquired 1930 JP Sauer & Sohn 12 Ga sxs on its first Ruffed Grouse hunt Dec 2......and ignorant me it was also the first time shooting it. The first grouse flushed high out of some balsams and skirted deeper into the balsams. I pulled the front trigger followed by the usual "KaBlam !!!" Of course it was a miss......I never got to the 2nd trigger before the grouse was gone and I am sure laughing deeper into the woods. Much to my surprise I cracked the sxs open and a empty hull came flying out. Ejectors ,,,,cool, but the hull came from the left barrel!!! Yes , front trigger left barrel and back trigger right barrel ! Is this a common thing for German sxs 's ??? What gives ? I have no clue. Now the barrels also came with screw in Colonial Arms chokes.Both modified.....which I bought a skeet choke and put the skeet in the right barrel thinking front trigger right barrel. I know I know I should of shot the gun before hunting. I love the gun and it points beautiful with a little "cast off." I was using RST low pressure shells. I had to switch the chokes around and did get 1 grouse out of 7 flushes for the day.I call that a great day. But, whats up with the barrels and triggers ? Gun works great otherwise .

Post subject: Re: JP Sauer & Sohn front trigger left barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Although quite uncommon, German doubles w/ the front trigger igniting the left tube surface. Is it a sidelock or Anson & Deeley Body Action? Can you pleasure us w/ a few images?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Post subject: Re: JP Sauer & Sohn front trigger left barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 am 
Crown Grade

Maybe it was originally set up for driven birds where you fire the tighter choke first and as the bird gets closer the second, more open choke......

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin