Post subject: Sea ducking ammo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 am 
Field Grade

What's the best ammo and shor size for sea ducking

Post subject: Re: Sea ducking ammo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've killed diving ducks like lesser scaup and redheads down here, but have never had an opportunity to hunt sea ducks "back East". That said, I don't see how you could go wrong with good high velocity (1400 - 1550 fps) 3" 1 1/8 oz. or 1 1/4 oz. #2 steel. Our resident experts should be along to weigh in shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am 
Field Grade

I've been looking at whincester blindside and Remington nitro steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

Jdb5324 wrote:
I've been looking at whincester blindside and Remington nitro steel

What does the outfitter say to use?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You would be hard pressed to find a better load for big ducks than Remington Nitro-Steel 3" 1 1/4 oz. #2 steel at 1450 fps.

I don't care for Winchester Blind Side with it's cube shaped pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am 
Field Grade

Fiocchi 3" 1 1/5 oz #1
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/amm ... 50fps.html

They work pretty well on darn near everything with feathers to be honest. 2's are fine, but the fellas I hunt with (who've shot thousands of sea ducks) all seem to have better luck with 1's.

Let the birds work close and the cripple clean up is a lot easier (non-existent). If the outfitter has his rig set right, the birds should be putting their feet down at 20-25 yards.....and you can grind on them. If you are shooting and the birds are at 35-40 yards, expect to chase a lot of cripples no matter what type of shells you are shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shooting sea ducks is tough because the boat is bobbing up and down. Expect to miss clean at 25 yards and not have clue why. I shoot everything including sea ducks with 1 1/8 ounces of #2 Faststeel or Winchester Xpert at 1,550ish fps.

Here's the real key: Bring a lot of shells and liberally apply whatever you're shooting in heavy doses until whatever you're shooting at completely head-down dead. If you shoot loads that you know are expensive or so heavy that the recoil bothers you, you'll probably not be aggressive enough with the cripples. I would stay away from hyperspeed loads and loads more than 1 1/4 ounces for that reason.

Keep volumes of shells handy. Even a lightly hit bird will likely be stunned for a moment or two - that's when you need to barrage him. Sea ducks will sometimes dive as they hit the water – basically disappear. They usually pop right back up – hit him then. If they get a good breath – they won’t come back up until they’re out of gun range. You guides will really appreciate you being heavy handed.