It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 47E
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 am 
Presentation Grade

I posted this on the shotgun opinion forum but the only response I got was that I should use an o/u. I do have o/u and enjoy shooting them but I enjoying more a sxs. That is why I am asking below. So here I am posting again in the German forum with the hope I get some answers.

So after almost a year, a new Merkel 47E and a model 8 1970 12ga have been purchased. I have used the model 8 on skeet, sporting and the whole duck season.

Nonetheless it performed nicely. Very solid gun and balances perfectly.

Now, I was thinking to have someone make a custom stock and forend for the 47E. More suitable for sporting clays. The reason is to add weight and to have a more comfortable configuration on this sxs. But before putting all the money, I want to make sure or hear from others who own thes guns.

I looked on here and found a post, forget which one to link it, stating the following about the Merkel and sporting clays:
1- Merkel are not built to take the pounding of repetitive shooting.
2- they are built for hunting and not target in mind.
3- they are too light.

I know they are light for clays, that is why I will add weight by changing the stock, and adding weight to forend and stock.
But I am asking what about what they make them good for taking the pounding? Is it only the weight factor? If that is the case, then it is easy to add some.
Or is it that their action are not beefied up to stay safe after certain volume of shooting?

I know that their action is used on the safari rifle. I cant see where a frame can take the pounding of a 375 HH magnum with almost 65k psi, and 12900 pound per sq/inch backthrust not withstanding a 12ga. I tend to not understanding what makes them different than shooting repetitive shots on clays.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Merkel 47E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Not sure on the sourced info of Merkel being light in the loafers. German guns have always been a bit robust and their British counterparts referred to them as heavy & overdesigned. Not sure what features your 47E has but I'd say it was stout & if it has side-frame reinforcement then all the better. I've shot flats of Kent Hunting cartridges thru a Bühag 12 bore from the 1960s over the years & not a hiccup nor complaint less I forgot to load it. German shotguns were made to be shot & shot a lot. The only reason one would shoot loose would be a healthy diet of higher pressure cartridges in the 14k PSI range & even then German guns will hold their own. I would put a Austro-Hungarian or German longarm up against anything else out there. Last, I'd check w/ Larry Schuknecht of Dutchman Wood Works and acquire his opinion.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Raimey.
My 47 looks like that one https://www.google.com/search?q=merkel+ ... yxzowAojoM:
I don't know how to post a pic but yes it does have receiver bolster reinforcements.

This was one man opinion and wa wondering if anyone had the chance to compare of to give insight on Why would be not good for clays shooting.

They are probably at 7 lbs. Very similar weight to a Beretta sxs. That's why i asked if the weight is the only factor, then it is easy to add weight to a gun.

I looked at the Dutchman woodwork and it is closed. Too bad, this business is dying slowly. I know w guy not far from me and he is a stock maker and gunsmith too. A good one. I will ask him about prices.

Does the light weight and therefore a harsh recoil accelerate the wear on the locking lugs?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

That would have a full pipe sideframe reinforcement. Dutchman Woodworks is closed, huh? I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

http://www.dutchmanwoodworks.com/

Cheers,

Raimey
rse